: Change oil yourself?

carter's_sts
07-27-09, 03:16 PM
Do any of you guys ever change your own oil? I mean in the driveway (no lift or pit).

I haven't had to change mine yet in my pre-owned STS. I have always changed my own oil in my cars and I change the oil in my wife's car. I always use Mobile 1.

But this STS is so low to the ground. Is it possible to do in the driveway and do any of you ever change your own?

lreddiablo
07-27-09, 04:05 PM
I had to use a jack, previous cars just went to the edge of the driveway where the slope begins

Cadjiek
07-27-09, 04:31 PM
I do mine own also. I use a strong hydraulic jack and jack the car up underneath the passenger side. ( after practicing all of the proper safety procedures). This way the oil drains to the driver's side where the drain plug is located. I slide underneath the car from the front and drain the oil. I'm a 61 year old codger who still like to get his hands dirty. The $67 I save is worth it. I use Mobil 1 and buy it whenever it's on sale. I would be real careful if your driveway is on an incline. I prefer my garage floor.

KARL DAHLEN
07-27-09, 04:52 PM
I pump the oil out through the dipstick tube with a little electric oil pump. Works great and I don't have to get under the car or take off the shield. Got the pump on E-bay for about $35. Well worth it. I use Mobile 1 also.

WillySTS
07-27-09, 05:13 PM
I pump the oil out through the dipstick tube with a little electric oil pump. Works great and I don't have to get under the car or take off the shield. Got the pump on E-bay for about $35. Well worth it. I use Mobile 1 also.

Do you change the oil filter from the top too?:hmm:

I wouldn't use that pump out of the dipstick if I were you(but I.m not, so I guess that is why you use it).:nono:

carter's_sts
07-27-09, 05:16 PM
What about the filter?

KARL DAHLEN
07-27-09, 05:44 PM
Do you change the oil filter from the top too?:hmm:

I wouldn't use that pump out of the dipstick if I were you(but I.m not, so I guess that is why you use it).:nono:

Filter is next to dipstick on top. RE: WillySTS - and why would that be?

rb92gt
07-27-09, 05:45 PM
I've never let a dealer do an oil change, as it is so incredibly easy on the STS V8... once you can get the car high enough to get underneath. I do not want to die using crappy jack stands, so I use two 2x12s under each front tire and it gives plenty of room to get underneath and no risk of it falling. If you can find Mobil 1 or Valvoline Full Synthetic on sale you will save a bundle.

WillySTS
07-27-09, 06:40 PM
Filter is next to dipstick on top. RE: WillySTS - and why would that be?

(After going to go look at one of those V6 engines in the shop):eek: 'Darned if it ain't up there on top, right next to the dipstick...anyway...we use a pump for differential services and power steering services, althought it is to be expected on power steering systems, we have found those pumps don't get all the oil out...not enough for my satisfaction, which is why I said I wouldn't do it like that.

KARL DAHLEN
07-27-09, 06:43 PM
I carefully measure what comes out. Always 6 quarts out and 6 quarts in. If filter was underneath, I would drain the conventional way. :o

carter's_sts
07-27-09, 07:13 PM
All good info guys, thanks!!

stevenriz
07-28-09, 01:49 PM
Where is the oil filter on the 05 V8? I just spend 87 at the dealer. I might have to switch to a cheaper beer during oil change months

amgqmp1
07-28-09, 09:20 PM
Where is the oil filter on the 05 V8? I just spend 87 at the dealer. I might have to switch to a cheaper beer during oil change months

It's right next to the drain pan. It's up a bit so you won't see it until you're semi-underneath the car.

It was $44 (w/tax) last month when I did the eight quart disco dance on my '05 V8. Advance Auto Parts had a promo on Mobil 1, I had a coupon from them that stacked, and bam...cheapest oil change I've never had on a N*.

rb92gt
07-28-09, 10:39 PM
If you search my posts on here I wrote up something on doing the oil change yourself... here is a picture of the Northstar V8 and you can see where the oil filter is (bright blue with drain plug right next to it on side of oil pan:

John Pacelli
10-31-10, 05:50 PM
Awesome picture. The Horrible economy has forced me to not see the Cadillac dealer as much as possible. With this being the first time I have done the oil change in my 2006... I absolutely had no idea where the drain plug was. Doesn't really look like one does it? Thanks a million!

EChas3
10-31-10, 06:22 PM
Did you wait until the OLM was at zero... That's OK, you know.

Conserve.

Greg00coupe
11-01-10, 12:31 PM
I use the 2X12s like a poster mention above. Just took a 2X12 cut it 3 times at 45 degree angles and stacked and nailed them 3 on top of each other with the edges cascading to make a ramp.

My problem with ANYONE touching my cars is that quality of service you get. On my wifes car since she does not run synthetic she was using a quick change place. Last time in they told her she needed a new air filter and wanted $35. She declined and picked one up at the parts store on the way home. When I went to install it the housing was just left hanging there disassembled. They did not get their $35 gouging and figured the heck with this and just left it all undone. These are the type of situations I try to avoid by doing it myself.

carter's_sts
11-01-10, 12:45 PM
Oil change places suck. I have so many stories of things that have been broken. I have to use them for my company truck, but never use them for mine or my wife's car.

CTBB
11-01-10, 08:08 PM
Oil changes on this car are a breeze!! Surprised frankly at folks using stacked lumber when a set of $40 ramps will be way safer, and won't tip over. :yup:

Glenn

Greg00coupe
11-02-10, 12:09 PM
Oil changes on this car are a breeze!! Surprised frankly at folks using stacked lumber when a set of $40 ramps will be way safer, and won't tip over. :yup:

Glenn

Glenn...... IF you got "lumber" laying around why not use it??? As far as safe I'd rather have 3 2X12s stacked under my car tire then some $40 cheap ramps. But that is just me. I'd rather be safe then cheap!!!! And they are so much easier to store and NEVER rust!!!! In fact I have 2 sets one for each corner. In the winter I "hoist" my Corvette and slid under it to clean and detail the underside. Sure is handy expecially when the Corvette has 10 or 12 inch wide tires........

CTBB
11-02-10, 05:42 PM
Glenn...... IF you got "lumber" laying around why not use it??? As far as safe I'd rather have 3 2X12s stacked under my car tire then some $40 cheap ramps. But that is just me. I'd rather be safe then cheap!!!! And they are so much easier to store and NEVER rust!!!! In fact I have 2 sets one for each corner. In the winter I "hoist" my Corvette and slid under it to clean and detail the underside. Sure is handy expecially when the Corvette has 10 or 12 inch wide tires........

Well, OK Greg. I probably paid $40 for my steel ramps with pivoting low angle extensions. But it was 25 yrs ago. :highfive:They might cost a bit more than that to replace. :bouncy:

Glenn

EChas3
11-02-10, 09:58 PM
All loose ramps have a tendancy to slide while the car is driven onto them. It your ramps don't, you'll be OK. A car is not likely to fall off 2x12's or manufactured ramps. Yhe one advantage of 2x12's is that you can eliminate any issue with an air-dam overhang getting in the way; just cut a more gentle angle.

02603sec
12-22-10, 09:29 AM
I've never been able to trust a computer when to change oil. I go by the color, as well as mileage, 3500 miles at the most I'll go whether mobil 1 or dino. My beemer wants to go 15 k on the change, which is ridiculous. I'm convinced the computer calculations were based on the most profit a dealer can make. With leases including all maintenance etc. it is *unlikely* they'll be changing oil at the frequency I prefer. Cadillac no different, as the dealer's highest profit comes from leasing. As far as getting under the M5, C5, STS, IROC and Miatta, I lay out 2 2x12's and drive up for clearance then slide the hydro jack underneath. Oil isn't cheap, but dirty oil is a sin.

next2pool
12-22-10, 04:33 PM
That computer algorithm is pretty accurate and still conservative. I don't see how it favors profit when it can easily let you go 12k between changes. An OEM isn't going to take any chances on oil change intervals that can damage an engine. I'm not a tree hugger but why buy and dump more oil than needed?

CTBB
12-22-10, 05:02 PM
+1!!

Glenn

C&C
12-23-10, 09:14 AM
That computer algorithm is pretty accurate and still conservative. I don't see how it favors profit when it can easily let you go 12k between changes. An OEM isn't going to take any chances on oil change intervals that can damage an engine. I'm not a tree hugger but why buy and dump more oil than needed?

Exactly, and for that matter, GM has received Industry accolades for the OLM; feel good in the fact to change your oil per OLM or one year, whichever comes first. And oil color has almost no value in determination of oil condition.

caddyfat2
12-23-10, 09:38 AM
I never change mines until the OLM goes to zero.

EChas3
12-23-10, 07:25 PM
^^^ Like that, now.

I love that my original owner had the dealer change it 4 times to my one! In a new car, it's cheap insurance. In a car that's been broken-in like that, it's a waste to change more often than the OLM says.

My wife's car was a Hertz. They might have changed it once before she bought it with 12,000 miles on it. It got 8 quarts of Mobil 1 & an OEM filter before she accepted it.

doowap57
12-23-10, 07:35 PM
I am familiar with marketing BS, "BUT", Castrol Edge, by ALL indications, exceeds Mobile 1,in it's formula.
Mobile 1 is sorta OLD compared to the edge, so I am going to: USE Castrol Edge,on the upcoming change.
Your welcome to chime in, and do an Andy Rooney, on Castrol Edge !

Great subject.

EChas3
12-24-10, 09:35 PM
IMHO, Castrol would likely be OK but if GM didn't test it and award the 'spec' then it isn't approved. Why not simply use Mobil 1?

madd_dogg_sts
12-29-10, 11:22 AM
Once you change the oil, how do you reset the OLM?

CTBB
12-29-10, 12:20 PM
Just like you reset any other display on the DIC.

Glenn

EChas3
12-29-10, 07:29 PM
Press and hold the Info button.

C&C
12-30-10, 06:01 AM
Scroll the DIC to the oil life monitor then press and hold the "i" button (till it resets).

Slee_Stack
12-30-10, 09:24 AM
I change the oil myself and go by the OLM. I'll change it when it gets into single digits (<10%). For me, that corresponds to about 9000mi between changes. I don't have a problem with that.

People that change every 3000 miles (unless you live in a dustbowl) are throwing money down the oil drain.

I also use whatever full synthetic is at the best price when I need it. I don't care if its M1, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, whatever (always same grade though). And neither does your car. My vette never cared about brand. Nor did my Saab's DI Turbo engine.

Everyone has the right to waste as much as they like however. Feel free.

Safety during a DIY oil change is paramount. Don't skimp there.

desilpj
01-18-11, 12:09 PM
I also change my oil. My driveway has an incline so I am able to just get under the car without jacking. I agree with all who prefer to do it themselves. However, if you are using a jack, always use jack stands. It is not worth the risk if your jack does not hold.