: Just Got 9.5" Pulley Kit Installed

Gotham CTS-V
07-27-09, 03:01 PM
Hey guys,

On Friday I got Jesse's 9.5" crank pulley, cold air intake, idler pulley, and 160 T-stat installed. I also used the SCT tuner with Jesse's pre-loaded Max performane tune.

The car is officially a beast. Boost comes on quick. Torque right off the line is very sweet as I can roast the tires with a tap of the gas pedal at really any town driving speed. But power isn't just low or midrange. It keeps pulling...HARD. I have only taken it up to 120mph or so, but it seems like it made a big difference up top where the power used to sort of level off. I also took a few friends for a ride who have been in my car when it was stock. One of them had me stop because he was going to throw up from the G-forces. My other 2 friends said they saw a big difference and was laughing from the acceleration.

The transmission shifts perfect. It will go right to redline in S mode at WOT. Manual shifting seems a bit better and the downshifts in S mode are more aggressive. The shifts are also much firmer and crisper, unlike before where I would get pissed at how slow it was. But what I am very pleased about is that normal driving around town has excellent behavior. Shifts smooth just like stock. Perfect.

The sound is very sweet. The idle and cruising engine tone is a bit deeper/louder. Can't really tell too much. When just driving around town (driving like an old man), it sounds a bit more aggressive than stock. Nobody could really tell there was a difference. With a little more throttle though, you hear the supercharger. Very distinct whine. Floor it and the supercharger SCREAMS. It is very loud and everyone on the road knows you mean business. I love it because I love the s/c noise and hearing the boost come on. But it's also great because around town, you can mask the fact that you are modded. On the highway, cruising is similiar to stock with a faint hint of the supercharger.

Drivability is equal to stock. I mean, there really is no difference. Throttle response feels a little better. It shifts better too, like going up hills. Otherwise, feels identical to stock. But when you want the power, hit the gas and the supercharger engages violently and will throw you back like warpspeed on the millenium falcon (ok, maybe I'm exagerating but you get the point!).

As far as any issues, so far it's been 4 days and no CEL or problems. Only thing is my AC is not working correctly. I contacted Jesse and he believes the shop messed with the AC belt. I think this is the case as well and I will be taking it in tomorrow morning to get it looked at. I do not think this is related to the actual kit from W4M. I will keep you all updated though, but hopefully it was just a mess-up from the shop. The shop also told me that it was a pain in the ass to remove the stock crank pulley and that if someone were to try installing it themselves, they should be one hell of a mechanic.

All-in-all, I think this was the perfect package for someone retaining stock drivability but wanting a serious boost over stock performance. I highly recommend it. If any issues arise down the line, I will keep everyone informed. I'll also try to hit a dyno sometime soon. Maybe I'll get an exhaust or heat exchanger installed down the line and get the dyno done then.

~ Gotham CTS-V

haterinc
07-27-09, 03:30 PM
great write up and good to hear you're happy w the 9.5

jwa999
07-27-09, 03:52 PM
Hey guys,

On Friday I got Jesse's 9.5" crank pulley, cold air intake, idler pulley, and 160 T-stat installed. I also used the SCT tuner with Jesse's pre-loaded Max performane tune.

Congrats with your advanced ride!

Just to clarify:
cold air intake = full intake with new cylindrical k&n filter?
idler pulley = replacement torsional isolator?

how does your temp readout look?
how far does your boost readout go?

You're probably driving that car around, i know I would, but when you get back...:cool:

Hans.

Luna.
07-27-09, 04:19 PM
Refresh my memory please...

Is this the 5% or 10% overdrive pulley?

Gotham CTS-V
07-27-09, 04:25 PM
Luna, I am not sure what % this is. I just know it is 9.5" ring.

Congrats with your advanced ride!

Just to clarify:
cold air intake = full intake with new cylindrical k&n filter?
idler pulley = replacement torsional isolator?

how does your temp readout look?
how far does your boost readout go?

You're probably driving that car around, i know I would, but when you get back...:cool:

Hans.

Hey man, actually the temp readings are LOWER than they were previously! I am guessing this can be attributed to the T-stat. It seems like it stays under 200. It used to always go just a bit over 200 in stock form.

The car is fast and I haven't really been staring at the boost guage when I'm peaking at redline...I did notice the boost hits way higher than stock. I did see it hit 13. I'm not sure if it goes higher or not. I can try to test it out tonight if I get the chance and if weather holds up. It has also been extremely humid out so this could be affecting it.

And yes, this is the full cone-style Cold Air Intake from W4M. The idler pulley is the torsional isolator I believe...not 100% sure but I think this is what it is called. Jesse told me it was necessary with the 9.5" pulley.

Luna.
07-27-09, 04:28 PM
Luna, I am not sure what % this is. I just know it is 9.5" ring.

Slacker! :lildevil:

Anyone know what the stock size is?

1-2-N-V
07-27-09, 04:31 PM
So when is the dyno run?

Gotham CTS-V
07-27-09, 04:35 PM
So when is the dyno run?

As soon as I get the chance to go to a shop with a dyno bro...
I will also try to get some 1/4 mile times for you guys. Weather just needs to co-operate.

aburd
07-27-09, 04:40 PM
How much for all of it?

qictrk
07-27-09, 05:17 PM
Refresh my memory please...

Is this the 5% or 10% overdrive pulley?

That would be the 10%. Cecil...........

wait4me
07-27-09, 06:30 PM
9.5 is the 15% upgrade. It should make around 13-14psi @wot. by itself if there is no boost bleed off via the bypass valve.. It makes near the same amount of boost as the 2.55 upper will as it is the same rotational rotor rpm as the 2.55 internally.

Luna.
07-27-09, 06:38 PM
Stock is 8.25" then, yes?

Ready2roll
07-27-09, 08:51 PM
The idler pulley is the torsional isolator I believe...not 100% sure but I think this is what it is called. Jesse told me it was necessary with the 9.5" pulley.

9.5 is the 15% upgrade. It should make around 13-14psi @wot. by itself if there is no boost bleed off via the bypass valve.. It makes near the same amount of boost as the 2.55 upper will as it is the same rotational rotor rpm as the 2.55 internally.

Jesse, i received all my stuff from you, thank you!
(9.5 pulley, handheld tuner, 4" air intake kit)

I didn't buy an idler pulley from you. Is it necessary for my 9.5" pulley ring?

Also, i only have the tune and air kit installed right now and am using the Max performance tune. Amazing results by the way :)

When i install the harmonic balancer/9.5 pulley will i stick with the max performance tune or switch to the 2.55 pulley tune?

Thanks for your help!

Jerry

jwa999
07-27-09, 10:07 PM
Stock is 8.25" then, yes?

You got me. I'm confused:

8.5" is 5% -> stock must be 8.095"
9.5" is 15% -> stock must be 8.26"

I measured the upper pulley diameter. it's close to 4", let's call it 3.75" at best.

2.55 vs 3.75 is a 32% decrease in diameter, 32% decrease is circumference.

so how is a 9.5 lower pulley the same as the 2.55 upper pulley?

aburd
07-27-09, 10:17 PM
How much for all of it?
ab

Ready2roll
07-27-09, 10:25 PM
How much for all of it?
ab

This is what Jesse sent me by email

We have the 9in ring kit for 920.
a full cold air kit is only $390
and a handheld that holds 3 tunes are $400.

Hmmmm, maybe i only have a 9" ring and not 9.5

Jesse can you confirm for me?

radix
07-27-09, 11:47 PM

I measured the upper pulley diameter. it's close to 4", let's call it 3.75" at best.

you are not doing it right

The pulley ratio is is based on the dia of both pulleys, just because you change one by x% doesn't mean the ratio changes by that amount.

3.75 -> 2.55 against a 8.?? may well be the same as a 3.75 against a 8.?? - > 9.5

if we know the actual current and proposed diameters it would help...

CadV
07-28-09, 12:04 AM
Stock is 8

jwa999
07-28-09, 12:46 AM
you are not doing it right

The pulley ratio is is based on the dia of both pulleys, just because you change one by x% doesn't mean the ratio changes by that amount.

3.75 -> 2.55 against a 8.?? may well be the same as a 3.75 against a 8.?? - > 9.5

if we know the actual current and proposed diameters it would help...

Going from a diameter of 8 to 9.5 is 18.75%.. So, the belt will go that much faster. Diameter and circumference go up by the same percentage. The blower will got 18.75% faster. One turn on the 8" = 25.12" One turn on 9.5" = 29.83"

If the upper pulley diameter goes down 32%, the circumference goes down by 32%.
if the original pulley is 3.75, the circumference is 11.775. So if the belt moves 11.775 inches the pulley rotates 1 turn, 360 degrees.

New 2.55 pulley, the circumference is 8.007. So in the same 11.775 inches traveled, the new pulley goes 1.47 turns (3.768 are left after 8", that's almost an other half turn!)

in the end, one 9.5" lower pulley turn will turn a 3.75" pulley 2.53 times.
one 8" pulley turn will turn the 2.55 pulley 3.14 times
a 9.5" pulley will turn a 2.55" pulley 3.73 times.

So 2.55" upper pulley is 24% faster than the 9.5" lower pully.

Luna.
07-28-09, 12:53 AM

THANK YOU!

LOL---I'm so confused, as I was doing the same math as you. Clearly, I see some rounding going on and that's fine, but sheesh...I can't figure anything out. At the end of the day, I just need to know what stock is, then we can calculate what the % overdrive is.

If I don't get it on this forum, I'll know by the end of this week, for I'll measure the damn thing myself if all else fails...

EDIT--it appears stock is 8", so I'm confused how 9.5" is 15% overdrive. Simply rounding? If so, that's cool. I just want to make sure I'm on the same page.

Going from a diameter of 8 to 9.5 is 18.75%.. So, the belt will go that much faster. Diameter and circumference go up by the same percentage. The blower will got 18.75% faster. One turn on the 8" = 25.12" One turn on 9.5" = 29.83"

if the original pulley is 3.75, the circumference is 11.775. So if the belt moves 11.775 inches the pulley rotates 1 turn, 360 degrees.

New 2.55 pulley, the circumference is 8.007. So in the same 11.775 inches traveled, the new pulley goes 1.47 turns (3.768 are left after 8", that's almost an other half turn!)

I recalculated all these numbers and, outside of rounding for PI, agree with them.

If stock is 8.0", then:

8.5" pulley isn't 5%, it's 6.25%.
9.0" pulley isn't 10%, it's 12.5%
9.5" pulley isn't 15%, it's 18.5%.

If stock is 8.25", then:

8.5" pulley isn't 5%, it's 3.03%.
9.0" pulley isn't 10%, it's 9.09%
9.5" pulley would be ~15% (15.15%).

jwa999
07-28-09, 01:45 AM
THANK YOU!

If stock is 8.0", then:

8.5" pulley isn't 5%, it's 6.25%.
9.0" pulley isn't 10%, it's 12.5%
9.5" pulley isn't 15%, it's 18.5%.

If stock is 8.25", then:

8.5" pulley isn't 5%, it's 3.03%.
9.0" pulley isn't 10%, it's 9.09%
9.5" pulley would be ~15% (15.15%).

And if the upper pulley is 3.75" then the 2.55" pulley gives 47% increase!

Upper pulley wins every time.

1-2-N-V
07-28-09, 07:14 AM
SO with all that math what is the best combo? .It seems that the 9.5 in pulley and snout would be the best Gain. Or is the snout pulley alone just as effective and really doesn't need any other pulleys.

Gotham CTS-V
07-28-09, 08:14 AM
I believe the snout pulley is supposed to be the best in terms of gains and just the overall efficiency, but the 9.5" crank is right around the same for performance.

The reason I went with the crank pulley is because it is a much simpler install and I am afraid of a shop going into the supercharger like that. If something breaks and I need to put my car back to stock, I'm comfortable knowing that it can be done in less than a day. Pullies all put back, CAI swapped for normal box, and the tune gets reflashed to stock.

1-2-N-V
07-28-09, 08:43 AM
I thought some guys were doing the combo lower pulley and the snout. Is that the ultimate set up or is just one or the other sufficient. I have to wonder if you did sent the car for some other thing like say windshield washer pump went and they open the hood. Do you think that most mechanics would even notice the lower pulley changed? maybe the snout pulley if it is all polished up. Heck some probably would not care unless they were specifically looking for and engine problem. My thoughts are to just get the lower pulley for incognito effect if that is the most we can get out of this mod. But if the 9.5 and the 2.55 is the ultimate set up i will paint the snout pulley to camouflage it and take my chances at the dealer. I certainly don't want to be taking pulleys on and off every time i go to the dealer. I don't plan on breaking my motor but if i do?? Hey you got pay to play.....

aceofblitz
07-28-09, 08:53 AM
Wow this thread got me slightly confused lol. I had the impression that the crank pulley had more gains than the snout... thought the snout pulley was equivalent to the 9" crank. On the bright side after you order the initial crank parts, extra pulley sizes can be bought for cheap and they're interchangeable. So getting the 9.5" wouldn't be an expensive upgrade. maybe later on when im in a "screw the warranty" mood, might get the 2.55 + 8.5" like everyone else lol.

1-2-N-V
07-28-09, 09:11 AM
I just don't know. what are the combinations and the gains there of? The best bank for the buck. I would say just do the biggest lower pulley and be done with it. But that part in the blower snout worries me somewhat with the wear going on. Are those filings going into the motor or is that a separate unit?

radix
07-28-09, 09:35 AM

yep

stock = 8/3.75 = 2.13

upper = 8/2.55 = 3.14 => 47% faster than stock
lower = 9.5/3.75 = 2.53 = > 19% faster than stock

I would check into the max rated speed of this blower before going to the 2.55 pulley - 6500 engine RPM = 20,410 blower rpm !

plus it seems overkill to pick up 5psi unless there is a problem somewhere else?

Luna.
07-28-09, 12:34 PM
I believe the snout pulley is supposed to be the best in terms of gains and just the overall efficiency, but the 9.5" crank is right around the same for performance.

The reason I went with the crank pulley is because it is a much simpler install and I am afraid of a shop going into the supercharger like that. If something breaks and I need to put my car back to stock, I'm comfortable knowing that it can be done in less than a day. Pullies all put back, CAI swapped for normal box, and the tune gets reflashed to stock.

Don't forget my #1 reason for going with the crank pulley---BELT SLIP, or the lack thereof, with the crank pulley.

CadV
07-28-09, 12:45 PM
Don't forget my #1 reason for going with the crank pulley---BELT SLIP, or the lack thereof, with the crank pulley.

I didn't have any slip with the crank pulley but the upper pulley has given me a bunch of problems.

Gotham CTS-V
07-28-09, 02:08 PM
Just an update...the AC problem was because of a shredded AC belt. The shop said there was probably a slight tear when they were changing everything and that little tear eventually caused the whole thing to shred up. They replaced the belt and everything works 100%.

I ran my car HARD last night BTW. Multiple runs from low speeds to 120 for a few hours. Temps were perfect and the mods seem to have no affect on anything other than performance.

CadV
07-28-09, 02:10 PM
Just an update...the AC problem was because of a shredded AC belt. The shop said there was probably a slight tear when they were changing everything and that little tear eventually caused the whole thing to shred up. They replaced the belt and everything works 100%.

I ran my car HARD last night BTW. Multiple runs from low speeds to 120 for a few hours. Temps were perfect and the mods seem to have no affect on anything other than performance.

I would be careful man and check your AF. When you dyno it if they have a manual boost gauge be interesting to see what your getting.

1-2-N-V
07-28-09, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Luna.

Luna,Is this the belt Jesse Supplied you? So maybe this is why low numbers were dynoed because of belt slip on the upper pulley? Was that Kencav who was complaining about low numbers?

I believe Jesse has the 8.5 ring and the 2.55 upper on his car. Not sure if he has had any slippage problem. You would think he would say if he did.

I will be ready to do this on my car shortly but have to thank you fine folks for working the bugs out and telling of your experiences. I would be in this with you if i had all the keesash a month ago.

CadV
07-28-09, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Luna.

Luna,Is this the belt Jesse Supplied you? So maybe this is why low numbers were dynoed because of belt slip on the upper pulley? Was that Kencav who was complaining about low numbers?

I believe Jesse has the 8.5 ring and the 2.55 upper on his car. Not sure if he has had any slippage problem. You would think he would say if he did.

I will be ready to do this on my car shortly but have to thank you fine folks for working the bugs out and telling of your experiences. I would be in this with you if i had all the keesash a month ago.

I would not modify the blower pulley unless your ready to drop 2k on another blower. You will void your warranty. The extra blower would allow you to go back to stock.

Gotham CTS-V
07-28-09, 03:01 PM
I would be careful man and check your AF. When you dyno it if they have a manual boost gauge be interesting to see what your getting.

I'm going to definitely take it easy, it's just hard to resist the power :shhh:

I'm not sure what boost I am really getting but when it is dyno'd, I will have them measure the real boost. Thanks for the advice dude.

musclesbmf
07-28-09, 03:04 PM
I will say CadV brings up a good point about a mechanical boost guage. But in order for there to be some accuracy, it needs to be installed before any pulley changes to see what the stock blower is really pushing. Get a stock reading on a mechanical guage, then change the pulley and get another reading. CadV had stated in a thread that his stock guage read 15 while the mechanical aftermarket guage read 12. Sounds to me that the stock guage is not calibrated and is does not surprise me. Someone get a good auto-meter boost guage and lets see what the cars boost is stock. It might only be making 6 or 7 lbs of boost. Who knows. If someone made a good guage pod, I would get a nice boost and fuel pressure guage in a minute. Auto-meter makes guages that match our interior lighting. Just need a way to mount the guages nicely. Had this in my supercharged 95 cobra, supercharged 03 cobra, turbocharged 87 GN, supercharged 03 Z06, and would be nice to have it in this car....

Mark

musclesbmf
07-28-09, 03:06 PM
I'm going to definitely take it easy, it's just hard to resist the power :shhh:

I'm not sure what boost I am really getting but when it is dyno'd, I will have them measure the real boost. Thanks for the advice dude.

Can you tell us what the stock guage is reading?

Thanks,
Mark

Gotham CTS-V
07-28-09, 03:14 PM
I've definitely seen it hit 13psi. But like I stated before, when traveling this fast and with this much G-forces, my eyes are on the road and not the boost guage. I will make sure that I find out for you all though what the max boost is.

PSRmark
07-28-09, 03:24 PM
I will say CadV brings up a good point about a mechanical boost guage. But in order for there to be some accuracy, it needs to be installed before any pulley changes to see what the stock blower is really pushing. Get a stock reading on a mechanical guage, then change the pulley and get another reading. CadV had stated in a thread that his stock guage read 15 while the mechanical aftermarket guage read 12. Sounds to me that the stock guage is not calibrated and is does not surprise me. Someone get a good auto-meter boost guage and lets see what the cars boost is stock. It might only be making 6 or 7 lbs of boost. Who knows. If someone made a good guage pod, I would get a nice boost and fuel pressure guage in a minute. Auto-meter makes guages that match our interior lighting. Just need a way to mount the guages nicely. Had this in my supercharged 95 cobra, supercharged 03 cobra, turbocharged 87 GN, supercharged 03 Z06, and would be nice to have it in this car....

Mark

Depending on weather conditions they peak around 7.4 psi on a mechanical guage... I have the graphs from the dyno runs if anyone would like to see them.

CadV
07-28-09, 03:35 PM
Depending on weather conditions they peak around 7.4 psi on a mechanical guage... I have the graphs from the dyno runs if anyone would like to see them.

Awesome Mark! If you could share the graphs that would be great. Spoke to Brent and he had 8psi stock.

CadV
07-28-09, 03:48 PM
This is assuming a lot but lets play along...

So if most cars stock are seeing 7-8psi stock with a mechanical gauge...

How in the hell is Jesse getting 16.7? He using a 10" crank ring or something lol

We got two guys with 2.55 upper and 8.5 lower and that is giving 12psi. He is dynoing again today with 9" ring and that should give him 14 if there are no restrictions. 9.5 should give 16 and a 10" 18.

That is a far jump from 2.55 upper and 8.5 lower will give you 15psi.

homesite
07-28-09, 03:54 PM
I've definitely seen it hit 13psi. But like I stated before, when traveling this fast and with this much G-forces, my eyes are on the road and not the boost guage. I will make sure that I find out for you all though what the max boost is.

Do you have stock exhaust?

PSRmark
07-28-09, 04:02 PM
Awesome Mark! If you could share the graphs that would be great. Spoke to Brent and he had 8psi stock.

woops my bad...it was 7.6 not 7.4

I will scan them in and post them up

radix
07-28-09, 04:55 PM
This is assuming a lot but lets play along...

So if most cars stock are seeing 7-8psi stock with a mechanical gauge...

How in the hell is Jesse getting 16.7? He using a 10" crank ring or something lol

We got two guys with 2.55 upper and 8.5 lower and that is giving 12psi. He is dynoing again today with 9" ring and that should give him 14 if there are no restrictions. 9.5 should give 16 and a 10" 18.

That is a far jump from 2.55 upper and 8.5 lower will give you 15psi.

how are you calculating these boost pressures?

how high of a supercharger RPM will you allow ?

PSRmark
07-28-09, 06:26 PM
anyone good with PDF files? it saved as a pdf and photobucket only allows a Jpg or Jpeg format

CadV
07-28-09, 06:30 PM
anyone good with PDF files? it saved as a pdf and photobucket only allows a Jpg or Jpeg format

You could use http://www.convertpdftoimage.com/

PSRmark
07-28-09, 06:39 PM
You could use http://www.convertpdftoimage.com/

tried that already...windows is blocking the file from being un zipped...

PSRmark
07-28-09, 07:59 PM
ok sorry for the delay, got it going...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/d3mark1/09CTSVBoostPulley.jpg

dont mind the other boost graph, that is our 9" boost pulley readings...

Luna.
07-28-09, 10:35 PM

Apologies for any misunderstanding. My crank-pulley is in the process of being installed right now. My only point was that the primary reason I am going with a crank pulley and not the blower pulley is due to belt-slip. I had it on my '05 with the 2.6" pulley on the maggie and it's lame...lol.

And my boost also came in at ~7.6, which is loosely what my guage shows. I've been raising my eyebrow every time I read 9 lbs of boost, for my car isn't getting that, but my rwhp/rwtq seem in line with most others, so I'm left a little confused, but okay... :thumbsup:

jwa999
07-28-09, 10:45 PM
Apologies for any misunderstanding. My crank-pulley is in the process of being installed right now. My only point was that the primary reason I am going with a crank pulley and not the blower pulley is due to belt-slip. I had it on my '05 with the 2.6" pulley on the maggie and it's lame...lol.

And my boost also came in at ~7.6, which is loosely what my guage shows. I've been raising my eyebrow every time I read 9 lbs of boost, for my car isn't getting that, but my rwhp/rwtq seem in line with most others, so I'm left a little confused, but okay... :thumbsup:

My boost is the same. don't get to 9, right in the middle of 6 and 9 with w4m tune and stock airbox. All i did was take out the scoop from the airbox and the brake duct.
I do remember seeing about 8 when i first got the car. Was going to restore tune to stock to see if there's a difference. P-valve doens't make a difference either.

Gary Wells
07-28-09, 11:14 PM
So 8 is about all we can see as stock configuration? Bummer, I've already had mine to about 3 by accident a few times, and it's fun, but not earth shattering.
On the other hand, I've never had a car that I enjoy driving so much.

Gotham CTS-V
08-10-09, 08:39 AM
Went to a track recently with a +1,350 DA

Ran consecutive 11.8's @ 120.

It was a 3 hrs drive and I went right from the highway to the strip with really no cool down time. Stock tires. A little more than half a tank of gas. 93 Octane.

60' was a 1.85

I feel like with a much better DA and cooler weather and possibly a stronger launch, I can get the times way down.

wait4me
08-10-09, 10:19 AM
Awsome times Gotham..

Gotham CTS-V
08-10-09, 10:50 AM
Awsome times Gotham..

Thanks Jesse. I had the whole place in an uproar. Everybody wanted to check out my car and nobody could believe the times I was running since I was blowing the doors off the majority of modded Stangs, Camaros, a Porsche Turbo, and all the other badass rides with big drag slicks ;)

haterinc
08-10-09, 10:56 AM
that is strong! you had much experience at the strip? what other cars? nice 60' times considering the tq

Gotham CTS-V
08-10-09, 12:07 PM
that is strong! you had much experience at the strip? what other cars? nice 60' times considering the tq

Very limited experience at the strip. I had a heavily modded Corvette and I couldn't get under an 11.9 with it :thepan:

This car is a breeze to launch. I just rolled onto the throttle and hung on tight. I was very suprised how easily it hooked. The consistency was also shocking as I ran almost identical numbers within a 20 minute time frame.

Gary Wells
08-10-09, 12:44 PM
Congratulations, Gotham. Great times.

qictrk
08-10-09, 01:00 PM
Went to a track recently with a +1,350 DA

Ran consecutive 11.8's @ 120.

It was a 3 hrs drive and I went right from the highway to the strip with really no cool down time. Stock tires. A little more than half a tank of gas. 93 Octane.

60' was a 1.85

I feel like with a much better DA and cooler weather and possibly a stronger launch, I can get the times way down.
I have the same upgrades, how did you set up the car before launch?
Cecil..........

Gotham CTS-V
08-10-09, 01:29 PM
I have the same upgrades, how did you set up the car before launch?
Cecil..........

rears at 30psi

TAGZO
08-10-09, 02:39 PM
Congratulations!!! those are nice numbers for a 4000 lbs car :) Any Dyno numbers yet?

Gotham CTS-V
08-10-09, 03:25 PM
No dyno numbers....

Update: well we were using a broken tire guage and we thought we had it at 30rear PSI. I just took it to the gas station to get the PSI back to normal and found out my right rear was at 29 and the left rear was at 37!? So I'm guessing that probably affected my times a bit.

wait4me
08-10-09, 03:31 PM
With the mods he has, it should be near 565 hp to the wheels. Over 700 at the motor.....

Gotham CTS-V
08-12-09, 03:53 PM
It would appear that Jesse has a “Launch Control” option in his transmission tune. In a post entitled “Drag racing modes are now being setup for the handhelds if requested,” he goes on to state:

“Just so you guys know. I pretty much figured out exactly what rpms and settings to set up the manuals and autos for Drag racing modes.. What this does is, Makes the fans come on for 2 minutes after you shut off the key so it keeps cooling the intercooler core, keeps engine coolant at exactly 192 no matter what, "cooler if you change the thermostat", Also does some things for better take off, and repetitive times. It also sets your minimum rpm at idle to 1000 "or any setting you want" so it stalls your motor at the line automatically so you launch consistent every time. For the reallly picky people i can limit the throttle in a gear off the line in first so you can just floor the car every time right off the line and it will make the exact quarter mile time every time. Takes all the fun and guess work out of track time, but money and trophey class, it helps alot.”

Kck posted this in another thread.

Jesse, do I have this feature? I noticed that launching this car was a breeze and am wondering if it was because you implemented this in my car? If not, can you explain it more to me and what I would gain from a mod like this?

Thanks.

surgin
08-27-09, 05:00 PM
gotham, did you get an answer to this question? i asked for the drag race tune with the handheld i bought from jes but of the 3 tunes on it, none said "drag race". i have similar mods to you but with the w4me exhaust(no muffler). i am ready to get the pulley mod you have. are you still happy with it?

kboring
09-16-09, 11:17 AM
Ive got an 09 CTS-V and am interested in the following mods. How much for the following??
9.5" crank pulley
cold air intake
idler pulley
160 T-stat
SCT tuner with the pre-loaded Max performane tune.

Send me a PM with the price! Thanks!

wait4me
09-16-09, 12:20 PM
Pulley kit with belt, bolts, 9.5 pulley upgrade is $1088.

The cold air intake partial kit is $250. If you want the full one it is $390.

Idler pulley is included in the pulley kit above.

160 thermostat is only $35

sct tuner with 3 tunes and stock one is only $400

Call me today if you would like, i have everything in stock and can ship today..

I would suggest however to only get the partial cold air "$250" and spend the extra money towards the heat exchanger upgrade $400 or partial exhaust $800 "uses stock mufflers".

As you will see a larger gain from those modifications than you would with the full cold air.

1-2-N-V
09-16-09, 01:18 PM
Jess. What is the partial cold air kit? Can you PM me also about my revised tune and my CEL issue

wait4me
09-16-09, 02:22 PM
Partial uses the stock air box and just eliminates the part that sucks shut with the 9.5 pulley and also contains a kn air filter that fits into the stock airbox for more flow. It is basically just the top half of the cold air kit.

I2nv, Call me when you get a chance, it will be faster than pm.

1-2-N-V
09-16-09, 03:55 PM
With the mods he has, it should be near 565 hp to the wheels. Over 700 at the motor.....

Hey Jess, that would be about a 20% drive train loss for an AT If at about 706 BHP.??? I think the MTs are at a calculated 15% according to other guys dynos here? What would be the gain in a MT with this set up? I hope do get it in a couple of weeks. :bouncy: Hypothetically, If i added that 5% difference to the 706 BHP that would be about 743 BHP and 630 RWHP. Does this sound right to anyone with these mods with a MT?

600+V
09-17-09, 06:10 AM
mines making 586 at the rear so i say 680hp!

1-2-N-V
09-17-09, 06:49 AM
That seems reasonable. I just have that magic 700 in my brain. Got get mine soon.

rp161
09-17-09, 08:13 AM
How do you guys with the 600+ HP do on gas mileage? All of us daily drivers would like to know, before we take the HP plunge.

1-2-N-V
09-17-09, 08:27 AM
i would have to imagine not much different unless of course your foot has mind of its own and wont let off the frigging pedal. I mean if you're not under boost you probably are just burning the same amount of gas as the computer needs to maintain a cruising speed.

Gotham CTS-V
09-17-09, 11:57 AM
How do you guys with the 600+ HP do on gas mileage? All of us daily drivers would like to know, before we take the HP plunge.

Not really much different than stock. It's bad enough if you have a heavy foot. If you want to save gas, just drive normal and in the normal tranny mode and it is pretty much the same as stock.

Now that the air has cooled down a bit, the car definitely feels more powerful. I break the tires loose at 45mph if I floor it. Traction control is constantly lighting up. I can, however, get a good launch from the dig if I want.

No problems so far.

Luna.
09-17-09, 01:26 PM
Not really much different than stock. It's bad enough if you have a heavy foot. If you want to save gas, just drive normal and in the normal tranny mode and it is pretty much the same as stock.

Now that the air has cooled down a bit, the car definitely feels more powerful. I break the tires loose at 45mph if I floor it. Traction control is constantly lighting up. I can, however, get a good launch from the dig if I want.

No problems so far.

(Cough, cough)

If you have a heavy foot, I can guarantee you your gas mileage will be much worse with significant modifications when compared against stock; fairly simply physics in my mind. :)

Gotham CTS-V
09-18-09, 09:04 AM
(Cough, cough)

If you have a heavy foot, I can guarantee you your gas mileage will be much worse with significant modifications when compared against stock; fairly simply physics in my mind. :)

To be honest, I never really look at my mpg gauge. RPM's and Speedo are about the only thing I can quickly glance at when ripping down the highway with 700hp :sneaky:

wait4me
09-18-09, 09:47 AM
to be honest, i never really look at my mpg gauge. Rpm's and speedo are about the only thing i can quickly glance at when ripping down the highway with 700hp :sneaky:

lol!

Luna.
09-18-09, 01:46 PM
To be honest, I never really look at my mpg gauge. RPM's and Speedo are about the only thing I can quickly glance at when ripping down the highway with 700hp :sneaky:

:histeric: I know what you mean!

I generally do a quick MPG estimate at the gas pump, total miles driven since my last fill-up, divided by total gallons just to in the car to fill it back up again... :p

No way am I worrying about what the Instant MPG meter says as I'm driving... :sneaky:

PSRmark
09-21-09, 03:32 AM
:histeric: I know what you mean!

I generally do a quick MPG estimate at the gas pump, total miles driven since my last fill-up, divided by total gallons just to in the car to fill it back up again... :p

No way am I worrying about what the Instant MPG meter says as I'm driving... :sneaky:

I think in your case under WOT it would have to read instant GPM (Gallons per mile) lol

SlvrBullIT
09-21-09, 03:43 AM
I use Gas Cubby on the iPhone to track my usage... normal ~19mpg track.....8mpg.....