: Car can start without the key present!

jwa999
07-27-09, 10:53 AM
Don't believe the message "Electronic Key not Detected, Restart not allowed". I turned the key and the car started up just fine and I didn't have the key on me.

This is what happened. I had just arrived home, I went into the house with the car turned off but the key back in the ON position. When I came back, I had put the keys down in the house, the car displayed the message "Electronic Key not Detected, Restart not allowed", so for fun I figured let's see if I can start the car anyway. Too my surprise, I did!

I turned the car off, and tried to start again and it still started. I turned the car off, opened the door, and the car would still start without the key present. Only after it auto locked the doors was the car secure.

Hans.

Razorecko
07-27-09, 11:09 AM
Don't believe the message "Electronic Key not Detected, Restart not allowed". I turned the key and the car started up just fine and I didn't have the key on me.

This is what happened. I had just arrived home, I went into the house with the car turned off but the key back in the ON position. When I came back, I had put the keys down in the house, the car displayed the message "Electronic Key not Detected, Restart not allowed", so for fun I figured let's see if I can start the car anyway. Too my surprise, I did!

I turned the car off, and tried to start again and it still started. I turned the car off, opened the door, and the car would still start without the key present. Only after it auto locked the doors was the car secure.

Hans.

Yea i have the same thing happening in mine - whats even more interesting is that it just started happening out of nowhere ?!?! before it wouldnt start and i never saw the message. Now its acting all goofy

Fubar75207
07-27-09, 11:09 AM
Strange mine won't even start if the key outside the car, directly beside the drivers door.

musclesbmf
07-27-09, 11:13 AM
weird stuff...
last week I was able to open the driver side rear door without the keys and my car is set to auto lock. hasn't happened again though.

Mark

Innocent Bystander
07-27-09, 01:11 PM
Are you sure the message didn't say "RESTART ALLOWED" ?? I think it's a convenience feature to let you know the key's not in the vehicle.
From the Owner Manual:

"Electronic Key Not Detected Restart Allowed"

If the vehicle has the keyless access system, this message displays when the keyless access transmitter is not detected inside the vehicle while you are trying to turn the ignition off. The vehicle may be near a strong radio antenna signal causing the keyless access system to be jammed. If you have the keyless access transmitter with you, get out of the vehicle and lock the doors. If you do not have the keyless access transmitter with you, you will be able to start the vehicle again within five minutes, or until the vehicle's content theft deterrent system is armed. See Starting the Engine for more information.

jwa999
07-27-09, 01:21 PM
Are you sure the message didn't say "RESTART ALLOWED" ?? I think it's a convenience feature to let you know the key's not in the vehicle.
From the Owner Manual:

"Electronic Key Not Detected Restart Allowed"

If the vehicle has the keyless access system, this message displays when the keyless access transmitter is not detected inside the vehicle while you are trying to turn the ignition off. The vehicle may be near a strong radio antenna signal causing the keyless access system to be jammed. If you have the keyless access transmitter with you, get out of the vehicle and lock the doors. If you do not have the keyless access transmitter with you, you will be able to start the vehicle again within five minutes, or until the vehicle's content theft deterrent system is armed. See Starting the Engine for more information.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. That was exactly the behavior I observed. My brain just saw the "Not" part.

Hans.

tedcmiller
07-27-09, 11:33 PM
I think there is a thread on this forum that describes the opposite of what is described here. That is, the keyless transmitter was present but was not detected. The message "Electronic key not detected. Restart not allowed." is displayed. This happened to me once, and, sure enough, the car would not start. Placing the FOB in the pocket provided inside the top center console compartment eliminated the problem and it has not happened again.

jwa999
07-28-09, 12:18 AM
I think there is a thread on this forum that describes the opposite of what is described here. That is, the keyless transmitter was present but was not detected. The message "Electronic key not detected. Restart not allowed." is displayed. This happened to me once, and, sure enough, the car would not start. Placing the FOB in the pocket provided inside the top center console compartment eliminated the problem and it has not happened again.

Yeah. I have 2 office entry cards and if I keep them both in my wallet I can't get into the office garage. So i keep that one with my caddy key in a pouch.
But I have to put it in the right way, other wise I can't open the car's rear doors. flipping the card around, and the doors open fine. It's all very picky!

Hans.