: Anybody change your own oil?

miko442
07-22-04, 02:47 PM
I usually do my own minor maintanence, but am wondering about the lift points on CTS-V. Do I have to use the jack that came with car(does it have one, I haven't got that far in my manual?). Or can I use my floor jack? It looks like the frame under the engine is sturdy, can it hold the weight of the entire front(lift both front wheels at the same time?). What about jack stands?
Thanks for your replies, I just don't want to bend od scratch up any bottom sheet metal.

TNT V
07-22-04, 02:55 PM
I have a lift so I use that when changing oil...but, I'll bet those little arrows on the rocker panels indicate lift points :thumbsup:

jdodman
07-22-04, 03:01 PM
For $19.00 go buy the Rhino Ramps from Pep boys and drive the V right up.
It is perfect. Clears the ground effects, perfect hight and changing the oil on the V is a real pleasure compared to some of the cars I have done in my driveway over the years. Very well designed...
Word of advice. Go find the oil filter the car calls for beforehand. The one that is recommended on the website was different from the one I pulled off. The one I pulled off the V for the first change could not be found locally...
I had to do a K&N filter equivalent for $13.00...Must be a good oil filter.

07-22-04, 03:09 PM
For $19.00 go buy the Rhino Ramps from Pep boys and drive the V right up.
It is perfect. Clears the ground effects, perfect hight and changing the oil on the V is a real pleasure compared to some of the cars I have done in my driveway over the years. Very well designed...
Word of advice. Go find the oil filter the car calls for beforehand. The one that is recommended on the website was different from the one I pulled off. The one I pulled off the V for the first change could not be found locally...
I had to do a K&N filter equivalent for $13.00...Must be a good oil filter.

agree with all of the above. I have the rhinos and they are perfect for this car. Wide with rounded corners to accomodate the big tires. For the oil filter I think I used a purolator LF2588 but I could be wrong on that. I also put in about 6.25 quarts of mobil 1 to bring me right to the line on the dipstick.

Make sure you clean all of the metal shavings off of the magnet on the plug.......

NIK
07-22-04, 03:11 PM
Good question - I don't believe the "V" has a jack or jack wrench - at least I haven't found either one yet. Is this correct?

ctsvett
07-22-04, 03:48 PM
All that info here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com//faq/answers/oilchange.html

Also, dont jack on the side rails under the arrows... that bends the body panels... you need to jack off the points further under the car....

See: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13576&highlight=jack+point

On previous cars I did not change my own oil, but once you do it and understand the process (the FAQ helps) its very easy. Make sure to get the ramps, drain pan and correct filter wrench from your friendly autoparts store.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

GNSCOTT
07-22-04, 05:00 PM
I bent the panel where the arrows were. I did the same on my Vette and bent them back before I sold the car. I hate ramps because I would be more inclined to drive off them and bend alot more underneath.

miko442
07-22-04, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Looks like the best way is with the ramps.(just make sure not to drive off). I am replacing with original filter PF 46. Is there a better filter out there? I saw the listing on CTS-V FAQ, but was wondering why some were listed as 'long'? CTS-V FAQ is the best site to learn. I was also wondering about resetting the TPM's after tire rotation, and FAQ filled me in on resetting these. I hope it works!

StealthV
07-22-04, 06:04 PM
The long filters are the same as a regular filter except on average they are about an inch longer. The longer filter provides for less of a pressure drop across the filter as well as more square inches of filter media for better filtration.

ctsvett
07-22-04, 09:03 PM
I use delco gold filters (stock brand, but better)... Available from LAPD performance for ~10/ each... They work great for me!

Reed

jdodman
07-23-04, 07:23 AM
I do not recall, but the oil filter I pulled off my V for the first diaper change was not a 46. It was some strange number like a 41 or 42....Anyway, I had bought the filter recommended by the FAQ say 1 or 2 months ago, and since it was not what I pulled off the car, I started to try and look for this same filter, I had just removed. Nobody had it. Pep boys said it would take 3 days to get in. I substituted for the K&N since the car was up on ramps with no oil and I needed to get it back together.
Has the FAQ been updated for oil changes to recommend the 46 ?? Or am I having an 'over 40' moment ?? :hmm:

ctsvett
07-23-04, 12:45 PM
The car comes with a PF-44, but the funny thing is that you can't really get a PF-44.. The PF-46 is the SAME FILTER.... These parts are common accross all LS1/LS6 motors for the most part (its the same on my buddy's camaro).... There is a list on the FAQ of all supported filters and some comments on each...

http://www.cadillacfaq.com//faq/answers/pdf/vfilters.pdf

(I'm embarrased to say I dont recall who sent me the Excel spreadsheet with the filters, so if it was you, send me an e-mail please so I can give you credit on the FAQ!)

Check it out..

Reed

StealthV
07-23-04, 02:55 PM
That would be my filter spreadsheet. :) If someone has information for the missing holes in the details of the filters or other filters to add, please send them to me. Thanks!

ctsvett
07-23-04, 04:02 PM
Stealth,
Sorry man.. I updated the FAQ to show that it's from you...

Reed

BeagleBrains
07-24-04, 12:49 PM
Delco Gold, K&N; such oil filters surely work well. The more significant information is that these more costly filters provide a much finer filtering capability at around 10 microns. A standard off the shell oil filter only filters out particles at 60-100 microns. The finer 5-10 times greater filtering factor than "standard" filters will show its value after 75,000-100,000 miles and beyond. I use a racing type filter with prelube system on my Jeep Wrangler. I installed a 10 micron high-volume filter with a leak-off bypass after the filter that goes through a parallel path to a small 4 micron filter (too restrictive for normal oil flow). Engine life should be remarkable. I experimented for years with a prelube system. Tricky, complex and hazardous, if done wrong. My first prelube miscalculation revealed itself after about six months, when the catalytic converter caught fire due to a tiny (but steady) excess oil carryover into the exhaust. Once set up correctly, the couple of fluid ounces of prelube eliminates the dry bearing starting of my engine.

BeagleBrains
07-24-04, 01:02 PM
Corvette provides frame mount lift insert holes where a special device may be installed. This device fits where your normal lifting pad mounts on a floor jack. I have not yet investigated the lift locations on my CTS V other than noting the contact points designed for the Cadillac installed jack.
I am hoping someone will research the alternative frame and/or transmission/axle/front end lift points that surely must be engineered into the Cadillac CTS and CTS V chassis.

miko442
07-24-04, 03:33 PM
Went to Autozone and took your advice and bought a set of Rhino Ramps. They worked out great. Changed my oil at 840 miles. Seemed to be kind of dark for so little miles, but this is my first car with synth. oil. Used the standard PF 46 filter. It had a PF 44 originally. Took a little over 6 quarts.

Still would like to know where the lift points are for rotating tires, though. :coolgleam

StealthV
07-24-04, 05:00 PM
The V oil pan holds 6.5 quarts.

Dreamin
07-24-04, 06:04 PM
Corvette provides frame mount lift insert holes where a special device may be installed
Yeah, jacking pucks, thought about that...dont think that'll work as the the surrounging area is plastic, the pucks would still crush the plastic panels.

Dreamin
07-24-04, 06:09 PM
For the filter, use the "Ultraguard Gold" line... UPF44... all the Z06 guys swear by it.

As Reed posted... $8.50 @ LAPD performance

2004ctsv
07-25-04, 01:43 PM
Has anyone tried the Mobil1 filter? Not very common at local auto parts
The Mobil1 website of course recommends it for syn lube

StealthV
07-25-04, 01:47 PM
AutoZone carries the Mobil1 filter if you've got one of those stores near you. The M1 filters are extremely good at filtering out small particulates. As with anything, there is a trade off and that is it takes more oil pressure to push the oil through the small media in the filter, resulting in a slightly lower oil pressure delivered to the engine. The Mobil1 and K&N filters are both built by Champion Labs.

Good filters, just difficult to find as you mentioned. :cheers:

StealthV
07-25-04, 01:59 PM
Since we're on the filter subject, here's some good reading

Oil Filter Study Link #1 (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html)

Link #2 (http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html)

Link #3 (http://home.moravian.edu/students/m/stmtm02/filtersurvey.htm)

Link #4 (http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml)

Link #5 (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/)

Link #6 (http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/)

Bob Is The Oil Guy (http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php)

07-25-04, 06:57 PM
interesting reading. For years I was a "Fram" guy.....I'm glad I am not so brand oriented now. I've been using purolator for a while since that seemed to be the best deal at the local Advance Auto chain, and years ago I had read somewhere that all "name brand" oil filters were "good enough." That is clearly disputable, but Fram does not appear to be a big winner. If Fram is in the middle of the pack then I guess it and many others are "good enough" for normal use.

I think when I changed the oil in the V I used a purolator 25288. I would have looked it up ion the applications book. But now I see that the apps book (and the FAQ) lists the purolator 14006. The openings and gaskets are the same, but the 25288 is longer. My 2002 suburban with the 5.3 liter specs the 25288. Was there a spec change, or did I somehow screw up? No leaks and the oil pressure is fine, and based on a previous post the longer filter might actually be better?

Doug

1976BabyBlueSeville
07-25-04, 07:09 PM
I have used the Mobil 1 oil and filter in my Grand Am GT I used to own, and it worked wonders. I highly recommend Mobil 1 for any vehicle.

07-25-04, 07:34 PM
ok, you've piqued my curiousity. Aside from maybe easier starts in winter, what wonders did it work?

Doug

1976BabyBlueSeville
07-25-04, 07:39 PM
Well, I did notice better gas mileage than the regular oil and I did notice better performance with it (the engine was no where near stock). Everytime I changed the oil it still had a real good slickness to it as well (shows it is definitely a quality oil). I know it's expensive, but I think it's worth it for a vehicle that you want to take real good care of or want that extra performance and gas mileage.

Rich H
07-25-04, 10:42 PM
I installed a K&N HP-2006 a few days ago. It was listed on the Cadillac FAQ website as being a suitable replacement. It is the long version (4.58") of the HP-1007 (3.8") that K&N recommends on their website. Odd that the K&N website lists the HP-2006 application for the 2005 Seville STS 4.8 liter and the 5.7? liter V-8s but not for the 2004 or 2005 CTS V 5.7 liter. Should be ok - just more surface area and volume capacity. Might even serve to cool the oil a little more than the shorter version.

BeagleBrains
07-26-04, 08:12 PM
Another benefit. Mobil 1 has a 0-W-30 grade. In winter the flowability of the oil is such that your car starts promptly as if the outside temperature was 70 rather than zero degress Fahrenheit. The K&N Oil Filters are far more that just higher volume. K&N provides 10 micron filtering. A normal standard filter removes particles in the 60-100 micron size. The finer particle removal, the more your oil will last with fewer contaminants and abrasive stuff in the oil.

StealthV
07-26-04, 08:17 PM
I installed a K&N HP-2006 a few days ago. It was listed on the Cadillac FAQ website as being a suitable replacement. It is the long version (4.58") of the HP-1007 (3.8") that K&N recommends on their website. Odd that the K&N website lists the HP-2006 application for the 2005 Seville STS 4.8 liter and the 5.7? liter V-8s but not for the 2004 or 2005 CTS V 5.7 liter. Should be ok - just more surface area and volume capacity. Might even serve to cool the oil a little more than the shorter version.

There's no worries using the 2006 filter Rich. I've been using it for years on all my car and truck LSx engines.

IMWEZL
07-26-04, 11:17 PM
The reason why the original oil filter is different from those available in the stores or dealership is for warranty reasons. If you make a warranty claim due to bad engine or something along that line and you went over the recommended mileage for an oil change the dealer is able to verify this by looking at your oil filter. I'm sure no one here would put there CTS-V through such abuse! Just make sure that if you don't change your own oil you take it to a place you can trust and not one that will rip you off by leaving the same filter.

Jay-G

Jon
07-27-04, 12:50 AM
Cadillac does my oil changes for the first 4 years / 80,000km.

BTW, for those that change your own oil. I've read stories on the net where manufacturers voided people's warranties when somethin happened to their engine and the owners couldnt produce receipts for oil changes.

StealthV
07-27-04, 12:55 AM
Early in 2003, AC Delco discontinued manufacturing the PF44 and it was replaced by the PF46. Our V's probably came with a PF44 because the General is using up stock on hand. Wasn't all that long ago, you could still find a PF44 still on the shelf.

StealthV
07-27-04, 12:58 AM

BTW, for those that change your own oil. I've read stories on the net where manufacturers voided people's warranties when somethin happened to their engine and the owners couldnt produce receipts for oil changes.

That's why I post pictures on forums of my oil changes, better than no receipt but probably not much. :)

tedcmiller
07-27-04, 11:09 AM
The CTS-V comes with run-flat tires and therefore has no spare tire or jack. If you need to jack the car up be sure that the jack contacts the car on the frame - not on the body panels.

The Rhino Ramps work well with the CTS-V and other cars with low front-end panels. Normal ramps are too short and the inclination angle is too steep, causing the ramp to contact the panels before the lift starts.

The CTS-V owner's manual specifies the AC PF44 filter. This filter has been replaced with the PF46. The PF44 is no longer available.

1976BabyBlueSeville
07-27-04, 07:10 PM

another reason why i recommend getting a warranty where you can take the vehicle to any mechanic of your choice.

2004ctsv
07-27-04, 07:32 PM

GM would have to prove that the failure was due to not changing the oil as required. Most people on this board (I'm one of them) are so anal about their vehicles that they exceed the required maintenance (especially oil). It would be tough to find an oil failure related problem when you're changing syn lubes every 4K-5K miles.

Just my 2 cents

StealthV
07-27-04, 07:34 PM
So are you calling my 1500 mile oil changes with Mobil1 anal? I'm beyond that, it's like a whole new level. :lildevil:

2004ctsv
07-27-04, 07:40 PM
So are you calling my 1500 mile oil changes with Mobil1 anal? I'm beyond that, it's like a whole new level. :lildevil:

No, not really. I changed after 900 just to see what the oil looked like. :bonkers:

StealthV
07-27-04, 07:42 PM
Hah! You're not anal. 364 miles on my oil change. :D

2004ctsv
07-27-04, 07:45 PM
Hah! You're not anal. 364 miles on my oil change. :D

:worship: oh good, I'm not completely anal - just half fast

StealthV
07-27-04, 07:51 PM
LMAO. My V has 2200 miles, had three engine oil changes, the diff & trans lubes changed (yes, I know, only once), six layers of Zaino... it saw a sprinkle of rain yesterday. :crying:

:cheers:

ttown
07-29-04, 11:50 AM
I've always used the Mobile1 filters.

BeagleBrains
07-30-04, 08:58 AM
I am having all oil fluids changed out today. Engine, transmission and differential at just under 2100 miles. Engine oil was changed the first time at 560 miles. I am looking forward to doing all of this myself, thanks to the detailed pictures and information explaining all of these process. The Forum is proving to be a very valuable resource. It was reassuring to see just how easy the transmission and rear-end fluid changes would be. I have marginal confidence that a service garage (even a Cadillac dealer) will be adequately conscientious in protecting my investment.