: Nav question

bigdog9586
07-26-09, 07:55 PM
I have a 07 STS with the 2009 Nav. disks. Today the wife and I were out house hunting and punched in the address of a new home in a subdivision that I'd say is at least 2 years old, maybe a little more. Anyway it couldn't find the address but we knew the subdivision and was able to find the street and house. All the nav showed was a big white blank with NO roads of any kind. Since this was the last house we wanted to see I hit the home button and it proceded to take us out of the subdivision street by street but without names. If it knows there are streets there why don't it show them and if it can show them it should be able to name the streets as most subdivisions are plotted out and the streets named when applying to the local government. I thought this was weird. When I got home I checked my Garmin with an 08 map installed and it not only showed the subdivision but also all the streets and accepted the address and showed exactly where the house was.

R1chard
07-26-09, 09:28 PM
I have a 07 STS with the 2009 Nav. disks. Today the wife and I were out house hunting and punched in the address of a new home in a subdivision that I'd say is at least 2 years old, maybe a little more. Anyway it couldn't find the address but we knew the subdivision and was able to find the street and house. All the nav showed was a big white blank with NO roads of any kind. Since this was the last house we wanted to see I hit the home button and it proceded to take us out of the subdivision street by street but without names. If it knows there are streets there why don't it show them and if it can show them it should be able to name the streets as most subdivisions are plotted out and the streets named when applying to the local government. I thought this was weird. When I got home I checked my Garmin with an 08 map installed and it not only showed the subdivision but also all the streets and accepted the address and showed exactly where the house was.

Did you try zooming in? The smaller/"not so busy" street names will only display after a certain zoom scale (I think 1/16 or less).
Same thing as POI, those will only display with a particular zoom (I think 1/16 or less also).

I've had many occasions when I saw the road on the map, but no correspondent street name showed. I zoomed in and voila there's the street name. :thumbsup:

bigdog9586
07-26-09, 10:16 PM
Nope that didn't work as I just went out there and tried it. I think the bottom line is the GM nav in the 07 STS is the poorest excuse for navagation I have ever seen.
==============

Did you try zooming in? The smaller/"not so busy" street names will only display after a certain zoom scale (I think 1/16 or less).
Same thing as POI, those will only display with a particular zoom (I think 1/16 or less also).

I've had many occasions when I saw the road on the map, but no correspondent street name showed. I zoomed in and voila there's the street name. :thumbsup:

harnage
07-26-09, 10:27 PM
I find mine shows driveways, ponds etc. around my house and can even accept the address. BUT along the way it tells me detailed guidance is no longer available to follow the screen and directional arrow. This is in my 2007. Tried a nav unit in my 2004 Avalanche and same thing. Guess they use all the precious memory up for all those other gadgets.

OlManRivah
07-27-09, 11:40 AM
I've got the Garmin Nuvi. Garmin maps are just better than the Caddy Nav maps. If we could use the Garmin maps, in the Caddy Nav we would be better off. I think my Garmin cost me $100 less to update too.

bigdog9586
07-27-09, 01:44 PM
$65 for the Garmin update plus they started a new deal for $119 you get lifetime map updates and it sounds more like I believe Tom Tom does with updates all year long.
==============

I've got the Garmin Nuvi. Garmin maps are just better than the Caddy Nav maps. If we could use the Garmin maps, in the Caddy Nav we would be better off. I think my Garmin cost me $100 less to update too.

OlManRivah
07-28-09, 11:48 AM
I don't quite understand GM's logic behind their Nav system and updates. You go to their Nav site or call them and the v5 (latest update) is on backorder. You can't pre-order the v6's and if you wait until September or October it'll take you 3 months to get it.
It's like they could care less about you getting updated and at $200 a pop. You deal with Garmin and it's like another world. Going to the Dealer is just as confusing. They send you to the Nav folks.............:banghead:

MacMuse
07-28-09, 02:36 PM
...Going to the Dealer is just as confusing. They send you to the Nav folks.............:banghead:

Definitely a neglected part of the customer service experience provided by GM. The only positive is that it's a relatively level playing field when comparing factory installed systems.

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury - based on an '06 Expedition - $199 for a 12-CD update. WOW - NO DVD. Looks like Chrysler and BMW use the same NAVTEQ system as Ford, and the udpates are all $199. The Chrysler 300 at least uses a DVD based update. Data collected from www.navigation.com

Toyota appears to run $250+ for their updates.

I guess our Caddy updates are par the for market.

webadd
09-20-09, 04:08 PM
Since GM is now owned by us we should get nav cd for free

bigdog9586
09-20-09, 05:23 PM
So how do I get my money back if they give you everything for free?:duck:

EChas3
09-23-09, 10:29 PM
The poor map data is not the fault of the system designers. The bigger the organization, the slower they are to adapt. GM is nimble compared to Washington DC. Conversely, they are standing still compared to a market sensitive company like Garmin.

widmann@hotmail.com
09-25-09, 08:42 PM
I have the newest versions of maps i am extremly disappointed in the MAP and guidance detail.. My Garmin is far better overall experiance. I think someone on the board said it best.. " I stick on my garmin on my caddie Nav screen " :) I wouldn't recommend this

trackbait
09-25-09, 09:49 PM
I have the newest versions of maps i am extremly disappointed in the MAP and guidance detail.. My Garmin is far better overall experiance. I think someone on the board said it best.. " I stick on my garmin on my caddie Nav screen " :) I wouldn't recommend this

It was me - I stick my Garmin on there all the time. Makes a perfect mounting surface, close to a power outlet and beats the crap out of the JUNK GM clusterF*** system and actually trying to use it.

So..,.. why would you NOT stick it on the screen? I've seen absolutely zero adverse effect --- other than the round circle it leaves when I take it off....:bonkers: