: Wait for me performance- buyer beware

kencav
07-26-09, 12:09 PM
In my humble opinion we should all be careful of any promises made by any tuner or vendor on this forum regarding any tune, part or promise of performance and good customer service

- I have a CEL on again after being assured by WFM performance to take a route that would fix my problem but has cost me only time money and aggravation

- wfm performance refused to adjust my tune- turn off rear o2 sensors- for fear of "being sued"- so what do you call the mods and tunes you already sell to owners- warranty friendly?

- his promised response to owners regarding individual and group tune updates has been abysmal- their is a word for when you promise someone you will do something and don't follow thru with it

-And lastly- this supposed "stealth tune" was read by my tuner in 2 seconds- he wanted to know why several things were done including reducing the sensitivity of the stock 02 sensors- I thought technicians could not read these things?

Again- new car new parts new relationships- I have had competent installers -proceed at your own risk

aceofblitz
07-26-09, 12:50 PM
I never try to "extend" my relationships with vendors. I simply buy the parts put them in and see the outcome. If the tune wasn't all up to snuff, I'd let my brother tune my car for me. I ordered the tune from w4m only for the transmission. i'm sure the a/f ratio wouldn't be precise for my car because jesse lives in a different climate condition with a different elevation. So I'm just going to iron out the kinks through a dyno tune. I am 100% sure that there is nothing better than a dyno tune made PRECISELY for your car and your car alone. Other than that I thought that it was kinda hard at first to contact him, his wife was more than helpful though and my parts arrived on time. Not sure if anything is missing, I'm in Geneva and my car is back home in the UAE. As long as the parts arrived, I'm happy. You should always be aware that you cant have 100% guarantees when you're modifying your car, you should always accept that S*** happens.
Kencav, turn that o2 sensor off, rid me of huge headache on my chrysler SRT8. you don't even need an opinion on that.

Razorecko
07-26-09, 12:52 PM
I never try to "extend" my relationships with vendors. I simply buy the parts put them in and see the outcome. If the tune wasn't all up to snuff, I'd let my brother tune my car for me. I ordered the tune from w4m only for the transmission. i'm sure the a/f ratio wouldn't be precise for my car because jesse lives in a different climate condition with a different elevation. So I'm just going to iron out the kinks through a dyno tune. I am 100% sure that there is nothing better than a dyno tune made PRECISELY for your car and your car alone. Other than that I thought that it was kinda hard at first to contact him, his wife was more than helpful though and my parts arrived on time. Not sure if anything is missing, I'm in Geneva and my car is back home in the UAE. As long as the parts arrived, I'm happy. You should always be aware that you cant have 100% guarantees when you're modifying your car, you should always accept that S*** happens.
Kencav, turn that o2 sensor off, rid me of huge headache on my chrysler SRT8. you don't even need an opinion on that.

^ he just stated that Jesse refused to turn off the rear '02's for him.

kencav
07-26-09, 12:58 PM
He would only turn them off if he had a disclaimer

kencav
07-26-09, 01:03 PM

Aceofblitz, if you have read my previous posts I have acknowledged the risks of modding. As far as not establishing relation wth vendors I do not have a brother to tune my car- getting things done in life is ALL about extending relationships- customer to service provider and vica-versa

CadV
07-26-09, 01:12 PM
It is not worth the headache for sure.

Thanks for coming forward kencav.

SSideways
07-26-09, 02:52 PM
couple I have used with good results.

Ed Wright and or Bryan Herter at
Bryan even flew all the way to hawaii to dyno tune a bunch of Impala's with mine making 430hp with 400tq.

I've had both of them email me updates which I loaded with LT-1 Edit or Tunercat. I constantly sent them logs of me driving my car to fine tune AF ratio during daily driving. Best customer service I've had.

kencav
07-26-09, 03:42 PM
So now WFM in another thread says to actually make these tunes totally stealth- non-readable- they have to be "locked"?!

You have to be kidding me

Stealth is one of the MAJOR reasons I went with his tune AND product line

Any good tech could then read these in a heartbeat if they are suspicious

Anyone else concerned about that

How long will I have to wait for a "locked tune" update!:confused:

aco
07-26-09, 03:53 PM
I feel for you guys having issues and I'm not defending any tuners, but why would you think that any tune would ever be totally "stealth"? You are changing parameters of the ECU/PCM/whatever. Don't you think that a dealer, or anyone else that bothers to check, could see that it is different form an OEM, baseline build? I think your understanding of what is stealth is flawed. To me stealth would be that you could returned the ECM back to stock and any changes could not be detected by the dealer or technician.

kencav
07-26-09, 03:59 PM
Aco then count me amongst the ranks of the ignorant true believers

Regardless this is what we were promised by the vendor, go back thru the threads and personal communications between owners and the vendors

jwa999
07-26-09, 05:15 PM
I think your understanding of what is stealth is flawed. To me stealth would be that you could returned the ECM back to stock and any changes could not be detected by the dealer or technician.

That is my assumption as well. Return the tune to stock before going to the dealer. I didn't have any problems when my tranny failed. Returned the ecu to stock and they replaced the tranny. I really like being in control of the tune.

I don't mind paying for a new tune, as a matter of fact i'd prefer it!

I'd like to be able to send Jesse my A/F ratio and other log items, so he could fine tune the tune for my car. I'd be happy to pay $100 for a new tune.
It looks like you really need to fine tune the car after the upgrades. Drive it around for a week, log the engine behaviour and then retune it.

Hans.

TAGZO
07-26-09, 06:13 PM
Why would you want to lock your tune? if you did, the dealer will see it locked! and they will suspect it imidiatly! i would not want my tune to be locked. you can always take your tune back to stock before you go to the dealer. and trust me, dealers dont check your tune at all. they will only flush your PCM if there is an update. I know cause i have a dyno/tune shop (not in USA).

I hope you get all issues sorted out. :)

kencav
07-26-09, 06:31 PM
Uhhhhhh......correct me if i am wrong guys but the WFM has been advertised to NOT have to be turned back to stock before bringing it back to the dealer

This allows our cars with pulleys, exhausts etc... to not be throwing CEL's and codes

ANY tuner can store a stock tune for us and reload it- WFM differentiated himself with the above mentioned attribute of his tune

neuronbob
07-26-09, 07:09 PM
Hold on guys. The W4M tune is advertised as being un-noticeable when you return the car to stock if you have to take it to the dealer, IIRC. That's the whole point of the handheld. The idea is, flash with tune, then when going for (for example) an oil change, you flash the tune back to stock, and dealer is supposedly not able to tell that you made any change at all.

I thought that the debate was over whether a dealer could tell you had made a change if your current tune was stock and had previously been modded. This understanding is what has kept me from having my car tuned, at all, by anyone.

I'm not defending anyone either, but I think on this particular point in this thread, there is misunderstanding. If I'm wrong, please correct me so I can understand. :)

Gary Wells
07-26-09, 07:37 PM
I a not taking sides here, but I also was to understand that by the term "stealth" being used, it was based on the understanding that the tune could be returned to stock without a dealer being able to detect that it had been changed. In either case, I think that in some cases, we, me included and probably especially me, have taken too much for granted that we understood and should have asked more questions prior to basing any assumptions. I also appreciate the early pioneers on these items regarding tunes and what is actual as compared to as what is dreamland, as it has made me re-think my priorities in these areas. I am going to check with D3 who is also a Cadillac Owners supporting supplier / vendor right around the corner from me and see what they have available in the way of a tune, especially the tranny tune and maybe a tune for removal of the lower section of the stock air box. Definitely no flaming intended and I hope that everybody gets their issues straightened out to their satisfaction. HTH

chopmeat
07-26-09, 07:47 PM
If you don't want ANY issues don't do anything to your car.
Keep it stock, because every one of the tuners, even the best sometimes have issues and you have to go back.
It always creates some problems.
It's pretty obvious isn't it???

kencav
07-26-09, 07:59 PM
thank you for stating the obvious Mr. Meat:annoyed:- the point here is ascertions and promises made by the tuner, not that modding comes without risk

C6Z06
07-26-09, 08:16 PM
Aco then count me amongst the ranks of the ignorant true believers

Regardless this is what we were promised by the vendor, go back thru the threads and personal communications between owners and the vendors

Kencav, I hope you get it worked out, but as far as Know (years of having cars tuned), all dealers can "see" a tune unless it's put back to stock. This is coming from a friend (tuner) with a Tech 2 for GM.

I'm still waiting for a phone call by the way! ha ha Scott in Chesapeake.

everdegu
07-26-09, 08:19 PM
Wow...I am glad that I checked the board today...

I was about to take a drive to Indiana where WFM is at, and have him tune both my 09 CTS-V and my 08 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax diesel. I am going to have to rethink the whole thing now..

On the stealth part of tuning...I know that for my LMM diesel, the dealer can check if the ECU has been reprogrammed and is able to check the history of the ECU (up to the last 10 programs) to see if it has been tampered with...so I know that putting a tune on my truck will pretty much void my warrantee. I am surprised that for such a new car with all the technogadgets on the 09 CTS-V the techs at the dealer can't do the same with our ECU's...

Anyway..maybe all these problems with WFM just move me to the camp of leaving everything stock until the warrantee runs out and it doesn't matter what I do to the car.

CadV
07-26-09, 08:22 PM
This thread has really gone off topic. There is no such thing as a hidden tune. The tuners I have worked with have been reading his tunes without any issues.

kencav
07-26-09, 08:26 PM
This thread has really gone off topic. There is no such thing as a hidden tune. The tuners I have worked with have been reading his tunes without any issues.

ditto

wait4me
07-26-09, 08:58 PM
Hidden tunes are this.

If you follow GM proceedure to detect if an aftermarket calibration is present, OR to check for History of flashes in the ecm/tcm. Mine will be completely invisible and wont record a programming event.. Even if you take it to a dealer and leave my tunes in.. Dealers will not read out computers, they have no way of doing it. Nor is it in thier ability as per warrenty blocking.. IF i locked the tune, then they would be able to suspect that it has been tampered with even though it looks stock to them. So, Stealth tuning just means that im modifying the code/ way the computer works and things to just mimic what it should have been stock. And when a request is sent, it runs my own code that pops out what the tech2 or mdi box is looking for.. So if it is doing a history count check, it just reports the one single os that was flashed as stock.. If it checks C v N history, it will just report the stock for that valid segment... So, no matter what, it looks stock....

THAT IS WHAT STEALTH IS.

If people want me to lock the tunes, then they would get caught, as when gm tries to flash it, or onstar does a diagnostic check, it will see an invalid seed/key pair and will record it.... And if a technition would try to update your computer and it fails with the tech2 or mdi tis write, then they would also catch you.....

There is a difference between stealth and Blocked/locked... A locked tune is detectable with thier technology, where as a stealth one is not.....

There is a Whole sheet of what a technition is supposed to do when they suspect a modified tune. Mine passes that test with flying colors....

As for tunes.. I would like to get this all strait....

I sell you guys the handheld for $400.. That is Just for the SCT and it is the lowest amount im legally allowed to sell them for. I make 30 bucks on that...

Im supposed to make all my money on this by SELLING CUSTOM TUNES...

I AM NOT CHARGING FOR ANY TUNES IN THESE THINGS.

I have stated time and again that im not charging for the custom tunes.....

Im doing ALL OF THEM AS A FAVOR TO ALL OF YOU GUYS. Because everyone wants the transmission tunes..

I would much rather be selling my spare computers as there is where i make $125 profit for the tune itself after the hardware cost..... But as we all know the Transmission computer is in the transmission itself so to sell a transmission computer also is not a valid option...

So that is the ONLY reason for the handhelds on these cars.. I dont offer them anywhere else except for the cadillacs and a few 2007-09 trucks that have an e38....

They suck up alot of time to make also.... 1 hour PER SET OF 3 tunes..

That is what i tell everyone when they call. I make them ALL IN ORDER... It isnt fair for me to keep jumping certain people ahead of another person... I have done this a few times for you CADV and for KENKAV even though i dont like to.. I try to be as fair as possible.. I even have spent hours on the phone with the people putting all your guys parts on thier cars... I dont know many other people that would even do that... I do it without complaining...

Everything i know about these cars was because i play with them everyday... I understand that gives me an advantage, so when the other shops call me for help, i just do it......

As for you guys making a big deal about me not sending you a FREE updated tune instantly, it just cant be done like that. I tell you guys on the phone when you guys call me that im doing them all as fast as i can.. I cant go any faster....

Also, i cant see that you guys should be mad about something that im not even charging you for..

EVERYONE gets thier tunes when they send in a request...

If you send me a dyno graph with air fuel ratios and spark logs, i GLADLY make adjustments to Your car. Can i instantly do it? No. It takes me an hour to put it all in and make it stealth again.... So you just get put in line LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE..

AS for parts ect... I sell everything for Next to nothing and i barely make enough to pay for packing material, shipping material, labor for boxing it up and dropping it all of at ups. I could charge all you guys more, but then i would be like all the other places that charge the cadillac tax... Im here to help the caddy comunity and make everyones vehicles better..... That is it. Not to make money.. Ive already made all the money i need in other markets.. This is all for fun.....

Razorecko
07-26-09, 09:08 PM
^ Hey Jesse, what happens when the dealer tries to do an update on a pcm that has one of your tunes/stealth tune ?

wait4me
07-26-09, 09:11 PM
It just over writes it and stores a VALID flash event. So your warrenty is still ok. Then you just send in my ecm for the updated tune with the latest factory calibration. OR i send out the updated requested tunes for those with an sct. It is a simple transaction..

Razorecko
07-26-09, 09:16 PM
If the stealth is hidden from dealers is that why you would have a disclaimer for turning off the '02's since that will probaly be detectable ?

marcw
07-26-09, 09:28 PM
.....If you send me a dyno graph with air fuel ratios and spark logs, i GLADLY make adjustments to Your car.....

Hey Jesse...we recently got the 10% crank pulley, SCT tuner, 160 stat, and solid torsional isolator from you all as one order. Keeping the stock airbox (with bottom opened up), and we fabricated an inner ring to keep the stock rubber air intake from collapsing under high boost.

So, do you recommend that we dyno the car and check AFR's after it's all in, or are you confident that all is good "out of the box" with your kit so to speak?

http://www.terrapacifica.com/smilies/thinking.gif

wait4me
07-26-09, 09:29 PM
The Department of Justice and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced today a landmark settlement requiring Casper's Electronics, of Mundelein, Ill., to pay a penalty and stop selling devices that allow cars to release excess levels of pollution into the environment, in violation of the Clean Air Act (CAA).

Today's settlement, the first of its kind, requires Casper's to stop selling electronic devices -- known as oxygen sensor simulators or "O2 Sims," -- recall the devices, and pay more than $74,000 in civil penalties to the United States. An O2 Sim tricks an automobile engine's computer into sensing a properly functioning emission control system, even when the catalytic converter is missing or faulty. These "after-market" sensors are considered illegal "defeat devices" under the federal CAA.

Casper's has sold approximately 44,000 defeat devices through retailers and from its Web site since 2001. The EPA estimates that the increased emissions from installation of these devices over the life of the vehicles are 7,400 tons of hydrocarbons, 347,000 tons of carbon monoxide, and 6,000 tons of nitrogen oxides. This is equivalent to the emissions produced by a half- million cars with fully operational emission control systems over their lifetimes.

"Emission control defeat devices, like those used here, risk harming human health and the environment by allowing huge increases in pollutants from motor vehicles," said Ronald J. Tenpas, Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department's Environment and Natural Resources Division. "The Justice Department will continue to vigorously enforce all of the provisions of the Clean Air Act -- including its rule against these devices -- against violators, including those using the Internet to illegally sell their wares."

"Reliable and effective automobile pollution control systems are essential to protect human health and the environment from harmful automobile emissions," said Granta Nakayama, the EPA's Assistant Administrator for enforcement and compliance assurance. "Casper's sale of the oxygen sensor simulator defeat devices over a multi-year period is a serious violation because it facilitated the removal or malfunctioning of motor vehicle catalytic converters, which are the primary emission controls devices to prevent excessive pollution from cars and trucks."

An oxygen sensor simulator sends a false electronic signal to the car's engine control computer, preventing the "check engine" or "malfunction indicator" light from illuminating. The malfunction light, part of a vehicle's on-board diagnostic (OBD) system, alerts the driver when there is a problem with the emission control system.

Casper's O2 Sims allowed vehicle owners to remove or disable the catalytic converter without the OBD system detecting the problem and turning on the check engine light. The CAA prohibits the manufacture and sale of any devices, such as Casper's O2 Sims, that bypass or defeat required pollution control equipment on motor vehicles. Cars and trucks with defeat devices can emit up to 50 times the amount of harmful pollution emitted by vehicles with properly functioning emission controls.

The EPA is currently investigating other automobile parts manufacturers and sellers that may also be making and selling similar products. EPA has found that some companies are advertising O2 Sims and other defeat devices as a way to enhance a car's performance. In addition, some companies include in their advertisements a claim that the devices are for "off-road use only," despite clearly marketing the devices for on-road vehicles.

Air emissions from cars include harmful pollutants such as non-methane hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen, key ingredients in the production of ozone, a major component of urban smog. Tailpipe emissions also include carbon monoxide, which impairs breathing. Both ozone and carbon monoxide are especially harmful to children, people with asthma and the elderly.

The recall required by the settlement requires Casper's to implement a mandatory repurchase program under which it must notify its customers that Casper's will buy back any O2 Sims sold by Casper's or its distributors, and create and implement a reporting system to ensure future compliance.

Both the complaint and the consent decree were filed today in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.

wait4me
07-26-09, 09:32 PM
This judgement is why i dont feel right eliminating codes on vehicles used on the street. I dont want to put myself in the posistion of being in trouble for something like that. Originally the fines where in the millions of dollars. AND they had to buy back 44,000 units from customers.

I do appologize for not wanting to clear some dumb codes.... It is a simple thing to do.. But i just dont want to.

C6Z06
07-26-09, 09:35 PM
It just over writes it and stores a VALID flash event. So your warrenty is still ok. Then you just send in my ecm for the updated tune with the latest factory calibration. OR i send out the updated requested tunes for those with an sct. It is a simple transaction..

So Jesse, without using the search function, what gains will I be looking at with stock air box modded and a tune from you with the handheld. Thanks

wait4me
07-26-09, 09:48 PM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2009/1045405-what-takes-hit-498-rwhp-auto-2009-cts-v.html

lemaman
07-26-09, 10:02 PM
I have faith in you, Jesse. I just want to be able to load the program. I don't care about the stealth issue at all. right now I have a tuner that won't upload. I researched and read and your programs are excellent once loaded. Please advise. I just got it from your wife on Friday, and nothing works. pulling fuses, etc. still error 1017. thanks for any help,
James Nichols
lemaman@aol.com

Razorecko
07-26-09, 10:14 PM
whats the build date of your V ? maybe something was change along the production line...

neuronbob
07-26-09, 10:23 PM
Hidden tunes are this.

If you follow GM proceedure to detect if an aftermarket calibration is present, OR to check for History of flashes in the ecm/tcm. Mine will be completely invisible and wont record a programming event.. So, no matter what, it looks stock....

THAT IS WHAT STEALTH IS.

OK, so I had nearly the correct understanding. Thanks!

lemaman
07-26-09, 10:48 PM
Build date 04/09

marcw
07-27-09, 12:24 AM
So, do you recommend that we dyno the car and check AFR's after it's all in, or are you confident that all is good "out of the box" with your kit so to speak?

????

musclesbmf
07-27-09, 10:47 AM
You guys are missing the point when it refers to making the tunes "stealth". If you take your car somewhere while it is still "tuned" and the tune is unlocked, yes it can be read. When you uninstall the tune, it does not leave a foot print in the ECU like HP tuners and LS edit do. Return the car to stock and no one can tell your car was ever tuned with W4M's tune. Have your car dyno tuned at a local shop and return it to stock and take it to the dealer. Watch how fast your warranty gets denied. That is what "stealth" or "undetecable" means. Not while the tune is in the car.

Just takes common sense people, c'mon.

If you don't like the tune because he won't set a certain parameter, then get it locally dyno tuned. Problem solved. Real simple.

Me Wanna A V
07-27-09, 04:15 PM
So what is the answer for all the guys running Long Tube Headers?
I know those things throw "Cat Insufficient Flow" codes, so how is that corrected?

haterinc
07-27-09, 04:17 PM
ditto on that question

musclesbmf
07-27-09, 04:31 PM
Since o2 simulators are illegal now (I did not know that until I read W4M post about it), the only way to solve it is to have the rear sensors turned off. Rear sensors are only used to report on "catalytic efficiency" based on temperature of the exhaust after the sensors. They do not have the car adjust fuel, etc. So the only reason I know that he won't turn them off is because it "allows" the car to run non-EPA friendly.
Any local dyno shop can go in and turn them off with their software, but they may not use EFI live like Jesse does.

Mark

musclesbmf
07-27-09, 04:34 PM
????

It is always a good idea to put the car on a dyno to have the A/F read. You want to make sure it is in the 11.5 range for a boosted application. No one can make guarantees by a mail order tune. Many times it may be spot on, but there could be the occasion it's not. If you want a guarantee, put it on the dyno and look at the A/F.

Always better safe than sorry.

Mark

marcw
07-27-09, 08:07 PM
...It is always a good idea to put the car on a dyno to have the A/F read...

Hey Mark…I agree…it looks like im going to have to head for the dyno after getting it all installed (&*^#$ A/C belt is a pain to re-install). Although im not surprised, Im kind of a bit disappointed in this, and I might not have ordered all this stuff from Jesse knowing we would have to once again take that well-worn trail to the dyno shop, and possibly have to wait who knows how long for a new tune file, or have someone local re-tune it. My optimistic assumption that the tune would be good out of the box was based on: i. having ordered all the stuff all together from Jesse, and ii. his public statement on the board that his tune will work with the stock boost level, and automatically adjust for the 5% and 10% pulleys.

…oh well…you live and learn I guess. I’ll post the dyno and AFR results…

Marc

wait4me
07-27-09, 08:15 PM
Guys, I am only selling the parts, NOT installing them. If something isnt right on the install, i dont see how it is my fault Or if a shop does something wrong. Im not the shop doing the work. If i WAS the shop doing it, there wouldnt be any complaints like this... As i would be able to just do it right in person all at once and the car would leave perfect. Im always available for weekend installs for Any of the parts i sell here....

ALL of these issues are able to have been bypassed.. Im Cheaper than anyone in the USA for installations of any of these parts... Always cheap enough to just make it worth you guys bringing the car to me...

nc09v2
07-27-09, 08:45 PM
Having read through all these posts, I will say that I got my W4M tune (not the max tune) loaded back in January without any issues. My V runs great, has never missed a beat and is fast as the &^%$# when I push it. I've not had a need to go to the Cadi Stealer as yet, but I'm confidant that re-loading the stock tune would go just easily for any service visits.

I will also state that I asked Jesse for a tweak to my tune back in May, one which he had mostly done for the track tunes. I asked 1st on the phone where he said he'd do it, and then with a follow up email 2 weeks later which was never responded to. I'm still waiting for that tweak or a response to that email.

Completely understand a busy workload, and a return call or email stating it could not be done would have been fine, but ignoring a customer after stating one will do something is not the way I do business.

I'll get off my soap box. I'm getting ready to order a W4M CAI and exhaust now that I have a spare set of stock mufflers, so some more of my $$ will be heading Jesse's way soon.

OKC_CTSV
07-27-09, 09:10 PM
I have faith in you, Jesse. I just want to be able to load the program. I don't care about the stealth issue at all. right now I have a tuner that won't upload. I researched and read and your programs are excellent once loaded. Please advise. I just got it from your wife on Friday, and nothing works. pulling fuses, etc. still error 1017. thanks for any help,
James Nichols
lemaman@aol.com

Hey lemaman, i have the same build date as you and at first had the same code, then pulled the 6 bcm fuses and connected a battery charger to the battery to make sure I had enough charge and it worked fine. Hope that helps!

OKC_CTSV
07-27-09, 09:12 PM
Guys, I am only selling the parts, NOT installing them. If something isnt right on the install, i dont see how it is my fault Or if a shop does something wrong. Im not the shop doing the work. If i WAS the shop doing it, there wouldnt be any complaints like this... As i would be able to just do it right in person all at once and the car would leave perfect. Im always available for weekend installs for Any of the parts i sell here....

ALL of these issues are able to have been bypassed.. Im Cheaper than anyone in the USA for installations of any of these parts... Always cheap enough to just make it worth you guys bringing the car to me...

Jess intalled all of my stuff, haven't had any issues or codes thrown my way! Great guy to have on your side with this stuff, thanks for the work Jess!

Tony407
07-28-09, 04:33 AM
Interesting thread.

I was skeptical of installing a Wait4Me tune, but after doing some research and talking to Jesse on the phone I decided to purchase the tranny/ECU tune. I couldn't be happier. No lights, no driveability issues whatsoever. And from what I've been told, and have heard straight from the horse's mouth, I should have no worries if I put the car back to stock should I need to go to the dealership.

Keep up the good work Jesse!

Tony

zr1vet
07-28-09, 08:25 AM
Tony,

What are your thoughts on the tranny/ECU tune? Any SOTP or other before and after comparisons?

Hawkeye2
07-28-09, 09:18 AM
You know, I'm reading this thread and I'm having some grave concerns.

Not about Jesse, or his service. He's one guy and I'm sure doing the best
he can.

It is about the integrity of some of the members here. I'm all for making your
car your own, and if that entails trying to squeeze every ounce of horsepower
from the engine - so be it. But, I have difficulty understanding
why the "stealth" factor of a tune is so important. To me it is only to be
used to commit a fraudulent warranty claim against GM. I have already
established that in the event of a component failure - ie. power window
motor - and you have an altered engine, which has no bearing on the power
window, that GM would honor the warranty.

However, what I am reading is that - you boost your horsepower by say
50 hp, then your transmission or rear end fails, you want to put the car
"back to stock" with no trace of making any changes. In effect you want
to committ warranty fraud. You submit parts to more stress than they were
designed for, and expect GM to pay. I say if you want to play, you should
pay!

Just think how you would react if you made a product, and someone tried
claiming against you in a fraudulent manner.

And, what happens in the event the GM discovers a way to detect any
changes not done by a recognized dealership? Then what?

There, now I feel better.

musclesbmf
07-28-09, 09:23 AM
I Can't beleive this thread is still going...
Anyways, this is why most shops will only sell products like these if they install them. Jesse is doing us all a favor and getting "slammed" for it in the process. He sells great products for little money and will ship them to us quickly.
People get up in arms that we get FREE tune updates if they don't get one tomorrow. Get in line like the rest of us. I had my 160* stat just sitting here for 1 month until I got the proper tune. If you don't have the right tune, wait to install until you get it. If the tune isn't what you like, pay a shop $750.00 for a dyno tune that will leave a foot print.
One guy is mad cause he installed long tubes and high flow cats that he didn't buy from W4M and got a CEL. Why is he not mad at the header company? Jesse told him to send him the headers and he would put the o2 bungs in proper location at no cost if i remember correctly. not much better service than that. The guy is mad cause light came on and Jesse doesn't want to turn off rear o2 sensors. Get the car re-tuned somewhere else. Simple solution.
I like Jesse's products and will continue to buy from him.

kencav
07-28-09, 09:46 AM
I am glad that most of you guys are happy with your tunes and customer service

And am I mistaken or did the vendor in ? advertise this as a undetectable tune

Well I would expect most every one on this forum to support him- because if his tune developes a car specific or general problem you are basically dependent on him and don't want to p*** him off

Fubar75207
07-28-09, 10:01 AM
I had some issues with W4M getting parts to me. I could list the parts and problems but honestly I don't think it would help you, me or him. I was surprised at how inexpensive the items were and decided it wasn't proper to disparage Jessie on a public forum. Especially sense he seemed to be genuinely trying to offer the CTS-V owners a special deal. As for the "stealth" ability of the tunes, this is my position: W4M sold a tune that he said was undetectable. I believed that to mean that my local dealers would not be able to detect it with their equipment. However, because the system had been changed, I would understand that if the ECU was sent to GM they would be able to find it. That just seems like common sense to me. I would certainly want to put a hold on my dealer sending anything back to GM. I would also expect Jessie to inform his customers if that situation changed. ie: the dealers were given the ability to detect these tunes in house.

Your argument about this forum "protecting" W4M is far fetched. I don't think anyone here thinks Jessie would be willing or able (at the price he is selling these things) to replace our engines or trannys.

Razorecko
07-28-09, 10:08 AM
I had some issues with W4M getting parts to me. I could list the parts and problems but honestly I don't think it would help you, me or him. I was surprised at how inexpensive the items were and decided it wasn't proper to disparage Jessie on a public forum. Especially sense he seemed to be genuinely trying to offer the CTS-V owners a special deal. As for the "stealth" ability of the tunes, this is my position: W4M sold a tune that he said was undetectable. I believed that to mean that my local dealers would not be able to detect it with their equipment. However, because the system had been changed, I would understand that if the ECU was sent to GM they would be able to find it. That just seems like common sense to me. I would certainly want to put a hold on my dealer sending anything back to GM. I would also expect Jessie to inform his customers if that situation changed. ie: the dealers were given the ability to detect these tunes in house.

Your argument about this forum "protecting" W4M is far fetched. I don't think anyone here thinks Jessie would be willing or able (at the price he is selling these things) to replace our engines or trannys.

A proper tune will NOT show up if GM examines it. At the worse they'll notice that it was "flashed" BUT there will be no traces of anything from the previous tune or what it did...atleast that i know of - technology almost changes daily so who knows

CadV
07-28-09, 10:37 AM
A proper tune will NOT show up if GM examines it. At the worse they'll notice that it was "flashed" BUT there will be no traces of anything from the previous tune or what it did...atleast that i know of - technology almost changes daily so who knows

Raz this is not accurate. I have detected his changes with EFILive, HPTuners and GM. It is not hidden.

Razorecko
07-28-09, 11:51 AM
Raz this is not accurate. I have detected his changes with EFILive, HPTuners and GM. It is not hidden.

Even after you put the stock tune back in ? What noticeable changes did you see ??

CadV
07-28-09, 12:11 PM
Even after you put the stock tune back in ? What noticeable changes did you see ??

Oh sorry going back to stock you will not notice anything. Thought you meant with his tune in there.

kencav
07-28-09, 12:22 PM
I'm done with this topic :bonkers: Judge my concerns as you wish.

TAGZO
07-28-09, 12:41 PM
Oh sorry going back to stock you will not notice anything. Thought you meant with his tune in there.
You are 100% right.

If you change anything in the tune/configuration, it will show the difference if you compare it to the stock one!

But if you go back to stock, you will not find anything because all will be identical! Maybe you will notice the date of flash!

Now, if you locked your ECU/PCM you will not be able to compare the files cause it is locked; so, it will be detected as someone lock the PCM/ECU as it not that way stock!

musclesbmf
07-28-09, 12:45 PM
For the record, if the forum was protecting W4M, which is a supporting vendor/tuner, they would have locked this thread early yesterday like other forums do when peeps starting bashing someone who pays for this site to exist. They didn't do that which I am pleasantly surprised.
People are just expressinf their opinions on this matter and all sides of every story is important. People just need to use a little common sense and realize what they are buying and the price point they are buying it at.
No one on this forum has given as much free info as Jesse has about these cars. Why? because he does this as a hobby and a favor for us. That's exactly what he stated. That's awesome. He barely makes a profit on what he sells.
I remember asking someone from Hennesy how they lowered the car, and they would not divuldge the info because they want to do it in house and make the money. Good for them, I understand that. You ask Jesse something, and he will tell you exactly how it works and why. And yes, we are small fish in his big pond but he loves these cars and he gets repaid by threads like this. I just don't agree with this approach of an open thread like this. My opinion.

We also have to remember that he started doing the SCT flashes because of us. He always did the ECU upgrades, but the SCT is new. So now there is another level of complexity involved because he is not related to SCT. Just using their software. If you don't like the SCT tuner, buy a new programmed ECU, or get it tuned locally. If you don't like his intake, get someone elses. If you don't like his exhaust, buy another. These are still new cars with new technology and Jesse ramped it up pretty darn quick.

the only thing buyers need to beware of is paying too much somewhere else.
Ok, I'm done ranting.

Mark

P.S. by no means have any of my posts been meant as personal to any other posters. Just voicing my opinion since I've been modding cars and dealing with vendors for some time. People like Jesse don't exist in every car market and I believe we are lucky to have someone with his knowledge sharing his knowledge for free.

Titaniumseeker
07-28-09, 01:01 PM
For the record, if the forum was protecting W4M, which is a supporting vendor/tuner, they would have locked this thread early yesterday like other forums do when peeps starting bashing someone who pays for this site to exist. They didn't do that which I am pleasantly surprised.
People are just expressinf their opinions on this matter and all sides of every story is important. People just need to use a little common sense and realize what they are buying and the price point they are buying it at.
No one on this forum has given as much free info as Jesse has about these cars. Why? because he does this as a hobby and a favor for us. That's exactly what he stated. That's awesome. He barely makes a profit on what he sells.
I remember asking someone from Hennesy how they lowered the car, and they would not divuldge the info because they want to do it in house and make the money. Good for them, I understand that. You ask Jesse something, and he will tell you exactly how it works and why. And yes, we are small fish in his big pond but he loves these cars and he gets repaid by threads like this. I just don't agree with this approach of an open thread like this. My opinion.

We also have to remember that he started doing the SCT flashes because of us. He always did the ECU upgrades, but the SCT is new. So now there is another level of complexity involved because he is not related to SCT. Just using their software. If you don't like the SCT tuner, buy a new programmed ECU, or get it tuned locally. If you don't like his intake, get someone elses. If you don't like his exhaust, buy another. These are still new cars with new technology and Jesse ramped it up pretty darn quick.

Ok, I'm done ranting.

Mark

P.S. by no means have any of my posts been meant as personal to any other posters. Just voicing my opinion since I've been modding cars and dealing with vendors for some time. People like Jesse don't exist in every car market and I believe we are lucky to have someone with his knowledge sharing his knowledge for free.

Well Stated!! That should be the end of this thread.

neuronbob
07-28-09, 01:19 PM
Without taking sides here, this was well-worded.

On W4M's side, I understand being swamped and not being able to get every little thing done. In my business, that is an all too common problem.

On kencav's side, my V is my daily driver and I work 12 hours a day on most days. I don't have time for a CEL.

Agree with /thread sentiment

Ok, I'm done ranting.

Mark

CadV
07-28-09, 01:46 PM
In business you don't give excuses or tell a market of buyers your .001 percent. You also do not make commitments that you end up breaking. Breaking commitments is the #1 reason these threads have been created.

The key is realizing your own limitations and adjusting around that. Now if you don't know how to do that, that is your problem not the customer. If tune updates are too much to handle is that our fault or his?

If your too busy hire some people, quite making excuses and be a man of your word.

Most of you guys commenting have purchased a tune or something minor so your experience is limited. For those of us messing with boost and having problems we are merely sharing our experiences.

Florian
07-28-09, 02:19 PM
what a bunch of whiners. Its a box tune people....these are tunes you buy with the thought that you then go dyno your car to tweak to perfection. Give the guy a break and do your homework instead of being a bunch of douches....
You come off like a bunch of little kids

Get over yourselves.

F

musclesbmf
07-28-09, 02:33 PM
what a bunch of whiners. Its a box tune people....these are tunes you buy with the thought that you then go dyno your car to tweak to perfection. Give the guy a break and do your homework instead of being a bunch of douches....

Get over yourselves.

F
LOL... :histeric:
That was awesome!!

Fubar75207
07-28-09, 02:33 PM

Get over yourselves.

F
http://homeschooljourney.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/soap-box.jpg

Does that help?

musclesbmf
07-28-09, 02:55 PM
This off topic stuff is better than the orig thread. Needed a good laugh today, and everybody is starting to help with that!!

Thanks everyone... seriously.

mik2718
07-28-09, 03:49 PM
I'm all for making your
car your own, and if that entails trying to squeeze every ounce of horsepower
from the engine - so be it. But, I have difficulty understanding
why the "stealth" factor of a tune is so important. To me it is only to be
used to commit a fraudulent warranty claim against GM. I have already
established that in the event of a component failure - ie. power window
motor - and you have an altered engine, which has no bearing on the power
window, that GM would honor the warranty.

However, what I am reading is that - you boost your horsepower by say
50 hp, then your transmission or rear end fails, you want to put the car
"back to stock" with no trace of making any changes. In effect you want
to committ warranty fraud. You submit parts to more stress than they were
designed for, and expect GM to pay. I say if you want to play, you should
pay!

Thanks for expressing this viewpoint. I agree. I'm not interested in how much I can "get away with" and still cheat the manufacturer into holding up its end of the warranty agreement when I did not hold up my end. It's my car: if I do something with it that the manufacturer hasn't agreed to support, that's my own choice and my own responsibility.

Florian
07-28-09, 04:02 PM
blah, blah, blah.

Grow a pair and get over it. Go get a dyno and quit moping.

We are now closed.

F