: Rotten Egg Smells like a Sewer

thewood
07-24-09, 10:58 PM
2007 STS with 16100 miles.
We were on our way to dinner tonight when I exited off the freeway and began decelerating and came to a stop. All of a sudden this rotten egg sewer smell came through the climate control system. It was so overwhelming we had to roll down the windows and shut off the A/C. After dinner we could smell it again only after a stop. Also on the expressway I was holding it at 65 using the crews control and all of a sudden it kicked off and the video screen went blank for a brief second. I got the car home and opened the hood for a check. I could smell the sewer fumes coming from the passenger side of the car over by the battery box. I was able to check the battery with a load tester and the charging system. All seems fine. The battery showed about 13 volts and dipped slightly under a load. The charging system showed a range 13.9 to 14.1 with the lights on and a brief rev. I was guessing that my battery might have blown a cell and likely there are some escaping fumes which are getting into the ventilation system. The exhaust doesn't stink so I don't think it's the cats. I pulled the battery. I don't see any visible signs of damage to the battery. It's one of those AC/Delco maintenance free cells. It does seem a bit bulged. The area around the battery box smells like rotten eggs. I'm in the process of pulling the Cabin Air Filter. While I got everything out in the open, is there anything else I should be checking?

Eld01
07-25-09, 09:47 AM
no, your guess is correct, a bad battery.

turnerbend
07-25-09, 10:04 AM
If not the battery, check the AC system.

thewood
07-25-09, 10:51 AM
I've been reading a lot of WIKI and forum thread about this subject. It appears that this is quite the dangerous situation and root cause could be a defective charging system and/or a bad battery. From what I understand if I was to continue to use the battery as is there's a potential that the battery could explode. Also just replacing the battery may not rectify this issue rather the charging system should be checked to insure it is in proper working order otherwise it could over charge the new battery and the problem would reoccur.

WillySTS
07-25-09, 12:07 PM
i've been reading a lot of wiki and forum thread about this subject. It appears that this is quite the dangerous situation and root cause could be a defective charging system and/or a bad battery. From what i understand if i was to continue to use the battery as is there's a potential that the battery could explode. Also just replacing the battery may not rectify this issue rather the charging system should be checked to insure it is in proper working order otherwise it could over charge the new battery and the problem would reoccur.

tru dat.

thewood
07-29-09, 07:01 AM
I took the car to the local dealer and they did a complete inspection of the car's charging system and found nothing wrong with that. They're replacing the battery under full warranty, so I get a free battery. They said it was bloated, which I already knew. We will see how it goes.

Just wondering if this is a common occurrence with these batteries..

Also be advised, seem that these ACDELCO batteries are special order (at least in my area). Part number 101-6YR isn't a standard battery you'll find in most stores and they cost about double the price of a standard battery. Even the GM dealer had to order one.

EChas3
07-29-09, 11:28 PM
Some members report great performance while others have free replacements. Not bad either way?

Mine work fine. If they don't, Cadillac Roadside Assistence wil get a call.