: A NEW!!! 18 year old Brougham D'Elegance

GenrlRodes
07-24-09, 04:23 AM
Can anyone image this.....! Words can not even describe what it would be like to own this. Never titled, only 25 miles! Yes that is what the description says.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Cadillac-Brougham-dElegance-SURVIVOR-25-miles_W0QQitemZ110417167473QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item19b5604471&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1

sikohsix
07-24-09, 04:37 AM
Gorgeous vehicle. Still, I can't wait to see the idjit that gives him even a quarter of his buyitnow price for it.

Aron9000
07-24-09, 04:43 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to smell that car, get that new leather, new Cadillac smell permantly imprinted in my brain. I'd pay $30k for that car, but for $125k, that guy is insane. I can do a concorus restoration on my car for less than half of what he is asking, and mine is better optioned than that one.

arnauts
07-24-09, 05:12 AM
WOWIE!
That'd be ALMOST as exciting as buying a new DTS!

(or three)

DopeStar 156
07-24-09, 08:59 AM
I'd love to smell that car

:histeric:

Bro-Ham
07-24-09, 09:42 AM
Cars are meant to be driven. The reality of this vehicle is its value is likely less than what it cost new back in 1991. It's neat to see one like this although it is still a mass produced model and clean normal low mileage examples can be nearly as nice as this one and are abundantly available at reasonable prices. You never know...the guy could get lucky! :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-24-09, 11:36 AM
Wow, that price is ridiculous. You can buy a frickin GNX with the same miles for less than that. He will be lucky to get $30k for it.

perks
07-24-09, 11:40 AM
This car would definitely sell for $125,000...In another 20 years.

Must be nice to be able to spend $36k on a brand new car you have no intention of ever driving.

jayoldschool
07-24-09, 11:47 AM
This car would definitely sell for $125,000...In another 20 years.

Not a chance.

NJ 90 Brougham
07-24-09, 12:37 PM
Isn't it funny that a guy who apparently values this car enough to buy it and put it away for 18 years, lists it as a Fleetwood Brougham, while Fleetwoods in 1992 were something else?

Also, he has never paid anything close to 36 for it. I was at a Florida dealerhip in 1991 (27 yo German tourist and all) and had a 33,000 $ car down to 23,000 $ already with no real intention (read: finances) to buy it, possibly would have gotten it for 20,000. In their last years they were really not that expensive. We should have bought two then, one for driving 18 years, and the other for looking at...

Axel

Lord Cadillac
07-24-09, 12:43 PM
At first, I thought that price was RIDICULOUS.. After seeing the pictures - I understand. Somebody will absolutely buy that car.. If I owned it, I'm not sure I could ever drive it.. It's just too perfect.. It's really amazing... My wishes may not be very popular, but I'd love a retro Cadillac that looks very similar to this with an updated high tech interior. I'd prefer it over any S550 or 750Li...

Stingroo
07-24-09, 02:23 PM
I agree with you LC.

Cadillac should look at that car and get back to what it did best... comfortable luxury cruisers.

And whoa, you're like, really close to where I am. lol

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-24-09, 03:21 PM
It's missing the factory floor mats too.

Frost
07-24-09, 03:22 PM
OF course, you COULD invest 125K in your Caddy daily driver in a bid to get it as close as possible to that car's condition, but in the end, it would just be a restoration. A car is only original once and after that, well,,,,,.

Cars are meant to be driven and even though he started it up every 6 months or so to let it "run" on the blocks, he didn't do the car any favours. Think the suspension is still A-OK? Braking system going to be 100%? Tire sidewalls still intact? How about the myriad yards of rubber/vinyl hoses, channeling and other trim?

I stored a showcar (1972 Mustang) for two years in a heated/secure facility and after that short period of time, the brakes had to be redone and the aforementioned rubber/vinyl defintely needed attention - and alot of replacing.

I'm with LC - I'd like to get one of those body styles and upgrade the suspension, brakes, etc. to 2009 specs. Probably leave the interior as-is for that period look, but everything else would be brought up to today's luxury standards. Now THAT would be a true sleeper!

Will he get that much for it? Highly doubtful, but you never know. Maybe a museum will take it.

perks
07-24-09, 07:20 PM
Cars are meant to be driven and even though he started it up every 6 months or so to let it "run" on the blocks, he didn't do the car any favours. Think the suspension is still A-OK? Braking system going to be 100%? Tire sidewalls still intact? How about the myriad yards of rubber/vinyl hoses, channeling and other trim?
Doesn't matter. Whoever buys this car will never drive it. The moment you clock miles on it, it's any old 20-year old car and there goes 90% of your investment.

Jayoldschool: A 40-year-old Cadillac with <100 miles on the odometer would absolutely fetch six digits today. There's probably only a handful of other Cadillacs of that vintage, in that condition, in the entire world.

MT-ED
07-24-09, 07:30 PM
He should Barret-Jackson it at Palm Beach.

Martin.

Bro-Ham
07-24-09, 10:17 PM
Even at 40 years old that Brougham will still be a mass produced 4 door sedan and likely won't be a 6 digit car unless inflation sets in... The lust and romance so many are seem to feel for this car should be sending a message to Cadillac that, like the re-birth of the Camaro and Mustang, there is apparently a desire for classic traditional all American long and formal luxury sedans with interiors styled after fine home furnishings, interior colors other than beige, gray or black, and, all the jewelry, chrome and flash. Oh, and it's time for yellow and teal exterior colors again too! :)

theGman
07-24-09, 10:31 PM
He says the a/c doesn't cool. This guy sounds imbalanced to try to sell a car like that without charging the a/c.
It probably won't hold a charge. I would imagine many of the various seals would be shot after that many years, plus things like the window rollers, etc.

96Fleetwood
07-24-09, 11:29 PM
The seller rejected my offer.... :crybaby:

sven914
07-24-09, 11:46 PM
My question is, how do we know it only has 25 miles on it? Digital odometers turn over, so it could read 25, at 100025, or where ever the odometer is set to roll over. The car could be an extremely detailed resto, or just owned by someone who spent hours a week, cleaning it with a tooth brush. The original tires could have been taken off and saved, just for an occasion like this. Notice the lack of interior shots? And if you were buying a car for the sole purpose of locking it away from the world, wouldn't you keep the window sticker in the window?

Either way, the car looks better than anything else I've seen. I would be trying to sell it to an automotive museum, and not the general public.

pompste
07-24-09, 11:50 PM
I agree with you LC.

Cadillac should look at that car and get back to what it did best... comfortable luxury cruisers.

I`m with you 100% on that quote----comfortable luxury cruisers!

Aron9000
07-24-09, 11:50 PM
My question is, how do we know it only has 25 miles on it? Digital odometers turn over, so it could read 25, at 100025, or where ever the odometer is set to roll over. The car could be an extremely detailed resto, or just owned by someone who spent hours a week, cleaning it with a tooth brush. The original tires could have been taken off and saved, just for an occasion like this. Notice the lack of interior shots? And if you were buying a car for the sole purpose of locking it away from the world, wouldn't you keep the window sticker in the window?

Either way, the car looks better than anything else I've seen. I would be trying to sell it to an automotive museum, and not the general public.

The digital odometers are six digit, so it would roll over at one million miles. That's another thing that doesn't make sense, how could you lose the window sticker.

sven914
07-25-09, 12:06 AM
^1,000,025 is still doable. I had friend with an 83 Chevy Custom Deluxe, that tuned over 12 times (the truck was previously titled to a firehouse, which kept meticulous records).

brougham
07-25-09, 12:45 AM
Wow that is really neat!! I would never pay that much for it tho and even in another 20 years it would be tough finding someone who would. The tires look brand new but in the picture on the trailer it has ugly yellow whitewalls on it. The mileage is believable. It wouldn't look like that if it had a million miles on it.

GenrlRodes
07-25-09, 01:00 AM
I`m with you 100% on that quote----comfortable luxury cruisers!

This is the best statement I have read !!! Cadillac needs to return to their true endevour. Creating style, luxury and BIG cars that ride like you are setting on your living room sofa.

Anyway, who in their right mind would pay that for that car. I love Caddies and all, but could puchase a fleet of Cadillacs that I would love to own and be money ahead.

Stingroo
07-25-09, 01:39 AM
Well I'm glad my comment is gaining some fanfare, but it's true.

Come to think about it... I think I'd rather sit in my Fleetwood than on my living room sofa. Now if only I can find a way to put a 42 inch TV... (epic sarcasm of course, this isn't Pimp my Cadillac)

Lord Cadillac
07-25-09, 02:06 AM
Yup, I'm very close.. Maybe we'll try another South Florida meet again soon..

To be more clear on my wishes for a retro Cadillac - there are a lot of designs I like. Pretty much ALL the Fleetwoods.. But this model would certainly be one of my favorites.. Big and square - I like that. But a little less edgy with an Art & Science look to it. The interior could be similar but it too would need to be updated to 2010 standards. It should handle at least as well as a performance DTS and have all the luxury amenities we expect today. That would be perfect for me... Oh, and of course 400 horsepower. :D

I agree with you LC.

OF course, you COULD invest 125K in your Caddy daily driver in a bid to get it as close as possible to that car's condition, but in the end, it would just be a restoration. A car is only original once and after that, well,,,,,.

I stored a showcar (1972 Mustang) for two years in a heated/secure facility and after that short period of time, the brakes had to be redone and the aforementioned rubber/vinyl defintely needed attention - and alot of replacing.

I'm with LC - I'd like to get one of those body styles and upgrade the suspension, brakes, etc. to 2009 specs. Probably leave the interior as-is for that period look, but everything else would be brought up to today's luxury standards. Now THAT would be a true sleeper!

Will he get that much for it? Highly doubtful, but you never know. Maybe a museum will take it.

Stingroo
07-25-09, 09:44 AM
South or Central FL meet would be good. If we put it somewhere central, Bro-Ham could come too. :D

And yeah, I like your plan. Give it an LS3 but a little quieter so it's not so Corvette, interior like the new CTS-V (it's gorgeous). I'd rob a bank for it. LOL

77CDV
07-25-09, 05:29 PM
At least the guy is optimistic. I wish him luck, because he'll need all he can get.

Bro-Ham
07-25-09, 06:05 PM
Take one part 1940 Fleetwood Town car, another part 1969 Fleetwood Brougham, a twist of Fleetwoods from 1958, 1963/64, 1975/76, and a good sprinkling of 77-79 & 80+. Shake together to make a modern statement of American luxury along the lines of what was conceived with the new mustang, camaro, challenger. The exterior needs to be sophistocated American high style and not at all germanic or teutonic. Tasteful accents of highly polished chrome and stainless and subtle details that bring in the heritage of Cadillac and also speak a new automotive language that hasn't been thought of before. Get inside and add in rare hand rubbed exotic woods accented by other interesting and unique objects that maybe no one has used before and once tried will make the most intersting automotive statement. Fine leathers stitched very carefully with designs and/or buttons, like fanciful and artful luxury funiture. Details, details, details! Include the option for a full cocktail bar in back with ice maker and a bottle cooler in the center behind the armrest. Maybe I'd be the only one to order that option. :) Then, some kind of over the top accessories that no one has thought to include in a car before. This will take some imagination from car guys everywhere and hopefully some still work at GM. Important also is a Cadillac exclusive engine of large displacement and huge horsepower that will of course get 30 MPG (haha) and maybe 20 to 30 exterior color selections and just as many complementing interior colors to choose from. Put this all together and there could be a stampede to the local Cadillac dealers. I don't mind any of the new models but they sure don't get my heart pounding. Cadillac can do it! Look at the Camaro. It's time for some real American luxury cars to once again lead in a market thirsting for new yet familiar and made for Americans by Americans! Oh, I'll figure out a way to own one of these and so will a whole lot of other eager and hungry car folks. Sting, get a Florida Cadillac rally started..what a fun idea! First we gotta get YOUR car started! What's the latest reading on the Stinroo Cadillac countdown clock?? :)

Stingroo
07-25-09, 06:37 PM
Latest reading could be really, really good. I put an ad on CraigsList asking for some help with some stuff for college (like a phone, sheets, etc. etc.) and have been buying some stuff and getting some free, little by little. Then this one guy called and asked if I had a way to get up to school. I told him I had a car, but it needed minor work. He said he would call me back and sounded pretty optimistic.

We'll see what happens with that. Otherwise, I'll have the money to replace the water pump and get a battery at the beginning of August. (Getting paid once a month really bites) All I need now is some ramps to borrow. (I'm terrified of putting the car up on jack stands, it's way too heavy I think).

On the topic of your original post: I would LOVE to see some polished Purple Heart wood put into cars. I mean look how gorgeous this stuff is:
http://www.countyfloors.net/store/listing_image.php?productid=17354

In 8th grade wood shop, I made a fully functional pen from two small 3x1x1 blocks of it. It's one of a kind, and absolutely epic.

perks
07-25-09, 06:59 PM
Even at 40 years old that Brougham will still be a mass produced 4 door sedan and likely won't be a 6 digit car unless inflation sets in... The lust and romance so many are seem to feel for this car should be sending a message to Cadillac that, like the re-birth of the Camaro and Mustang, there is apparently a desire for classic traditional all American long and formal luxury sedans with interiors styled after fine home furnishings, interior colors other than beige, gray or black, and, all the jewelry, chrome and flash. Oh, and it's time for yellow and teal exterior colors again too! :)
Same thing, twenty years ago, could have been had about a 1960s-era Cadillac. Ugly, bloated, unreliable, relic of the worst era of American automotive engineering. Yes, Cadillac did sell more cars (250,000 or so) in 1990 than in 1965 (170,000 or so), but 170,000 is still an awful lot of mass-produced vehicles (and, in 1965, they were all much more ubiquitous in style than in 1990).

Interestingly, after dismissing the car based on its numbers, your "lust and romance" comment seems to suggest that these cars will continue to be desirable and appreciate in value over the years (as they have even in the past few years). You can't get cars like this anymore, unless you have the dough for a Maybach. By being among the last of a dying breed, and a completely original, intact car will absolutely be desirable at high dollar amounts. I don't have exact data on me, but I've seen near-zero-mileage, 30-year old cars going for high five-digits. I would never even fathom paying so much for a car, but it's not that far a stretch to those serious collectors who have the money.

csbuckn
07-25-09, 08:43 PM
He may get his price after this "cash for clunkers" crap. Every car traded in(15 yrs or older) gets the oil drained and some chemical ran through the motor that siezes the engine. After that, its off to the yard where they will be able to sell everything but the motor. So many good cars will be wasted. And the gov. wont know what they did until its too late. This probably deserves its own thread but maybe someone here will buy the mint brougham now.

Stingroo
07-25-09, 08:51 PM
The government won't know what they've done at all. They'll just think it's "green".

Bro-Ham
07-25-09, 08:59 PM
A basically brand new 1976 Fleetwood Brougham with 293 actual miles struggled for months recently on ebay for $30k. The romance of the 1991 Brougham today will still be a romance in 20 years. It sounds good on paper although forking over serious $$$ for the pleasure of owning a car that only has the huge value by having no miles and is just a neat old car once it is driven if it actually could be driven after sitting so long. This isn't a one of a kind car that only 200 were made. Look at Rolls-Royce and see what resale on limited production luxury sedans looks like. I'd say if the car were so absolutely desirable and unusual that someone on here would be selling their house to buy it. No one is that crazy. It's an unusual sight to see but not a $125,000 pleasure. Now watch someone go and buy the thing for the "buy it now" price and prove I don't know anything. :) hahahaha

Bro-Ham
07-25-09, 09:09 PM
Latest reading could be really, really good. I put an ad on CraigsList asking for some help with some stuff for college (like a phone, sheets, etc. etc.) and have been buying some stuff and getting some free, little by little. Then this one guy called and asked if I had a way to get up to school. I told him I had a car, but it needed minor work. He said he would call me back and sounded pretty optimistic.

We'll see what happens with that. Otherwise, I'll have the money to replace the water pump and get a battery at the beginning of August. (Getting paid once a month really bites) All I need now is some ramps to borrow. (I'm terrified of putting the car up on jack stands, it's way too heavy I think).

On the topic of your original post: I would LOVE to see some polished Purple Heart wood put into cars. I mean look how gorgeous this stuff is:
http://www.countyfloors.net/store/listing_image.php?productid=17354

In 8th grade wood shop, I made a fully functional pen from two small 3x1x1 blocks of it. It's one of a kind, and absolutely epic.

Sting, Keep on working it! I love the fabulous wood! Show us the pen! That is cool! Cadillac could do something like that in plastic wood and if it were well done it would still be over the top! :) You know what I mean. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you that your Cad gets moving ASAP!!! Dave

Stingroo
07-25-09, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I'll know more by the end of the month, so next week sometime.

The wood is fabulous. I saw two small blocks of it sitting in the scrap pile of the shop bin and I asked what they were, and just decided to go with it. I gave the pen to my dad for father's day when I made it, because he collects them. I'll ask him about it and see if I can get a pic.

But really, put that wood in a black or white interior, and it would be dynamite. Not too sure how it would look in the tan or blue though. In burgundy, it might be overkill.

robb257731
07-27-09, 10:15 AM
I don't understand the point of buying a car with the sole purpose of keeping it in a garage. Even if I had the money to do it, I wouldn't go with the bare bones hubcaps as opposed to the $450.00 option wire hupcaps or even the $1000.00 option spokes.

It is a beautiful car, that's for sure.

caddeville89
07-27-09, 11:15 AM
That whole deal sounds like a scam to me. Is it common to not be able to pick up the car until 5 days after the payment goes through?

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 11:48 AM
That whole deal sounds like a scam to me. Is it common to not be able to pick up the car until 5 days after the payment goes through?
I think it's the real deal. Those are the stock tires, it sure doesn't look like anything other than a 25 mile car. Waiting 5 days for funds to clear is not unreasonable considering payment can be stopped on a cashier's check and the same may be possible on other payment methods. The guy wants to be sure he has for real 100% cleared funds before releasing the car since the car is obviously quite special to him since he seems to think he's not outrageous for putting the $125k price tag on it. Since he's being a nut he likely, whether he knows it or not, is expecting someone who may purchase the car to be the same. My 3 cents. :)

Stingroo
07-27-09, 12:22 PM
Honestly with a deal like that, I would probably try and meet the guy in person to hand him the check or something like that.

Idunno though, it is an awful lot of money for it.

jayoldschool
07-27-09, 12:40 PM
Jayoldschool: A 40-year-old Cadillac with <100 miles on the odometer would absolutely fetch six digits today

Show me an auction result.

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 01:03 PM
Jay, I agree - - that's a bit Fantasy Island to think. A 1969 Fleetwood Brougham with 25 miles would be a curiosity but not a $100k car by any stretch. I do love 1969 Fleetwoods! I'd want one that drives if I were going to buy one and a car with 25 miles in 40 years is a museum piece but people get the idea with a 25,000 mile car just as well as a 25 mile one. Someone needs to pick up that car and fix it to a driveable state and use it and enjoy it. Life is too short to look at things that were created for use and pleasurable enjoyment. Now maybe if you want it in your house as a conversation piece for setting drinks on at cocktail parties I guess I could see it as an interior design artifact and then maybe some interior decorator could convince me to spend $125 grand to outfit my masterpiece car themed living room (when I win the lottery of course!). Someone mix up a pitcher of martinis and see what happens at the auctions - - you'll need a good drunk on to pull the trigger on this 1991 car whether it is today or 20 years from now. My 4 cents.... :)

Stingroo
07-27-09, 01:42 PM
You could always be like my great uncle and maybe have it sit in a museum. He's got like 2 Nova's that sit in auto museums and he gets paid for it. Don't know how much though, but still.