: 1999 Escalade intermittent won't start

klipsch21
07-22-09, 08:40 PM
I have a 99 cadillac escalade and it intermittent will not start. It seems to only happen when it is hot. It always starts cold. When it does not start its like it is not getting any fuel. It turns over and there is spark but it wont start.

The dealer said it was the fuel pump. So i replaced the pump and the relay and the problem remains.

Anyone have any ideas?

sk7
07-22-09, 08:46 PM
How do you finally manage to get it going? Wait it out or? Next time it happens you can dump a bit of fuel straight in the TBI opening, and see if that takes care of the problem. If not maybe the passlock is causing problems? I had to bypass many of those systems for unreliability. I'm not familliar with the dashboard in first gen lades, but there should be a theft system light somewhere. If it flashes while ignition is on, it will crank but wont start.

klipsch21
07-23-09, 12:10 AM
if I wait about 20-30min I can usually start it right up. I don't remember if a theft light was coming on or not.

sk7
07-23-09, 12:45 AM
Fuel filter replaced when you did the pump? Check engine light on after a failed attempt to start it?

klipsch21
07-23-09, 12:54 PM
Fuel Filter Replaced about 1000miles before the pump. No check engine light.

klipsch21
07-23-09, 12:57 PM
Recently I have just been taking the car back and forth to work and it has been working fine. It usually happens when we run errands with a lot of stopping and starting the car.

sk7
07-23-09, 05:19 PM
If you have acess to a OBD scanner, it should help in diagnosing the problem when it happens. But I would check for the theft system or security light flashing while cranking or when ignition on.