: Car Crack ups ..lets be honest

daacon
07-22-04, 12:30 AM
I was thinking about my 13 year old son today and my 21 year nephew ...and got to wondering ...how many of us have cracked up (I.E. totaled a car(s)) -IT guy notice balanced brackets :coolgleam

Me personally three - at 16 I wraped my Dad's '75 Maverick around a telephone poll (alone , black ice , too much speed - hardest phone call of my life). At 18 I totaled my '63 Pontiac Larentian against a guard rail ( 5 people in the car). At 21 fell asleep at the wheel (just tired) with my '73 New Yorker and hit a parked car at about 30 mph.

All accidents walked away without so much as a scratch. My Insurance never suffered per say, which is more than I can say today (my nephew totaled a '90 Camary I sold him , he is now paying $800 a month for insurance :crying2: )

So anyone else got tales to tell ?

davesdeville
07-22-04, 12:44 AM
Uh.. I broke my Omni's tail light out once. That's all in my first 1.5 years of driving.

And holy wack! $800/month?! You sure that's not per 6 months?

RERM
07-22-04, 12:52 AM
I totalled my 2000 VW GTI in January!!! and I was only doing 40 m.p.h.!!!!

two words: BLACK ICE!!! :banghead:

daacon
07-22-04, 12:53 AM
Well I have 20+ years of accident free ...but in my younger years I was a rebel ..( asnd now I have Kids about to drive :rant2: )

No that is per month ....try being < 21 now and get into an accident with more than 5k damage ...actually do not do that ....... Insurance for young males with accidents is rude here in Alberta , Canada anyway ....suspect it is rude everywhere so let's be carefull out there .....and if you do , try paying cash ..............borrow the money if need be ....it will be cheaper in the long run.

DopeStar 156
07-22-04, 12:58 AM
I took a shot in the left rear quarter panel on my 99 Malibu back in October knocking the wheel off the axle, knocking the tire off the front right rim, jamming the back door, and crinkling the trunk. My foot slipped off the brake and onto the gas on a rainny day with a wet shoe. It was a 4 way intersection with stop signs on my road and I got hit by a 2000 Buick Regal. The entire front came off that Buick! They don't make them like they used to. My Chevy however spun 180 degrees and parked nicely against the curb out of the way and was still running, gotta love Chevy's durability. One month afterwards everything was fixed and it drove as good as new, still got my trusty Chevy.

Msilva954
07-22-04, 08:34 AM
I bumped into the garbage can when trying to squeeze into the garage.

RBraczyk
07-22-04, 09:23 AM
Aside from the caddy and about thirty garbage barrels, one portapottie and a few lawns (all in the blazer) I haven't done much in 1 year of driving. Mind you i have close to 80000 miles under my belt.

juiceE
07-22-04, 10:25 AM
my 1st car was a camry....on haloween when i was 19 me + 2 friends, an after a long night of partying we got sum food @ about 5 in morning, an my boy who had sum cheese fries threw them @ sum guy standing on the street, we were all laughing and coasted in to the rear of a parked SUV...my whole front end looked like a mountain, but the toyota still drove....whata soldier....lol
...and if it werent for that night, i woulda prolly never got my mint 92 deville

carguy16
07-22-04, 10:40 AM
my 1st car was a camry....on haloween when i was 19 me + 2 friends, an after a long night of partying we got sum food @ about 5 in morning, an my boy who had sum cheese fries threw them @ sum guy standing on the street, we were all laughing and coasted in to the rear of a parked SUV...my whole front end looked like a mountain, but the toyota still drove....whata soldier....lol
...and if it werent for that night, i woulda prolly never got my mint 92 deville

Uh, thats not really funny. I think I would start laughing if the guy pulled a gun out and opened fire on your car. If anyone throws fries at me while I am standing on a street corner, I would track them down, and get some revenge, of course it WOULD NOT involve shooting anyone! :tisk: You dont throw fries or anything at anyone on a side walk! Now, shouting insults, thats another thing. But french fries? Your asking for alot of trouble.

RBraczyk
07-22-04, 10:49 AM
Dude, its just fries. I've had rocks thrown at me, sure i had my slingshot on me and took out a window in that old shitty car and if i hadn't run i would gotten beat down. Thats why you can't take stuff so seriously, regardless to how mean it is, just call the cops instead.

carguy16
07-22-04, 11:42 AM
Dude, its just fries. I've had rocks thrown at me, sure i had my slingshot on me and took out a window in that old shitty car and if i hadn't run i would gotten beat down. Thats why you can't take stuff so seriously, regardless to how mean it is, just call the cops instead.

Theres all kinds of stuff, but nasty cheese fry's on your clothes? How would you like it walking home at night, or something to have cheese fries thrown all over you??? Talk about a mess. Fries or rocks, its wrong. Now, insults are another thing, they arent going to harm anyone. Now, throwing cheese fries at prostitutes, thats funny and ok. But, throwing them at a guy on the corner, not ok.

DopeStar 156
07-22-04, 11:56 AM
i had my slingshot on me and took out a window in that old shitty car and if i hadn't run i would gotten beat down.
http://www.pedi-marketing.net/wc/bilder/wc_bart2.jpg
Oh yes......I went there.... :cool:

T_Dogg8
07-22-04, 12:12 PM
http://www.pedi-marketing.net/wc/bilder/wc_bart2.jpg
Oh yes......I went there.... :cool:

i was thinking dennis the menace :D

tru504187211
07-22-04, 04:32 PM
Totaled my '91 Lemans by killing a spider on my leg and coasted into the camry in front of me stopped at a light. Fixed it though...pulled out the entire front end by chaining it to a tree, pounded the hood down, replaced the radiator...good as new!

Sean McDonald
07-22-04, 05:21 PM
Accident 1. Dec 1995. Driving on the port here by the harbor. It's late, raining and icy. Came around a turn too fast and slammed my mother's Plymouth Sundance into a fire hydrant. The funny thing is is that the hydrant had the poles around it to prevent this from happening, but I went right between them and into the hydrant. $3650 damage

Accident 2. Dec 1996. 51 weeks after the first accident I was out in an ice storm in my mother's Neon. I had it floored spinning on the ice since I was young and stupid. (now I'm slightly older but still stupid :)) Anyways, I came to a turn and of course the car shot across the street almost striking pedestrians then slammed in a curb. $4500 damage

Accident 3 Apr 1999. I had a 1989 Dodge Shadow Turbo. Quite a quick little car. I was sitting in the Wendy's parking lot @ approximately 12:30 am with a friend when a couple of guys pulled up in a Monte Carlo Z34. Well naturally we wanted to race. Soooo, we head down the highway. I absolutely killed him down the straight stretch, but he wasn't giving up. Although I had let off I wasn't using the brakes to slow down, I was just slowing down with engine compression. I'm putting along at about 150 km/h in the passing lane when he comes tearing up beside me. He still has winter tires on so he loses it in the turn and slams into my right rear. I'm able to counter stear and somehow come out of it. Well, he swung away then his car slingshot itself into my front end destroying everything in the front steering and suspension. Sooo, all I hear my friend in the passenger seat say is "HOLD ON!!!" so I did. There's a ditch seperating the 2 sides of the highway, I fly into that and am airborne across the passing lane on the opposite side of the highway and land in the slow lane then journeyed into the bushes, keeping the rubber side down the whole way somehow. The guys in the Monte flipped and slid on the roof far enough to burn holes in the metal, when they caught the side of road the car flipped back onto it's wheels. The police said that when they arrived they thought we were all dead. Turns out none of us had even a scratch! Well, not only did I have no collision coverage, I also got a $300 racing fine. :banghead:

But, live and learn....no troubles since then! *knock on wood*

Chuck C
07-22-04, 05:35 PM
The Curse of the Driveway:

Me: Backed Into My Dad's Car
Dad: Backed Into My Brother's Friend's Car (on2 separate occasions!)
Mom: Backed Into my Brother's car
Brother (younger): Clean Record for now muahaha

Stoneage_Caddy
07-22-04, 06:21 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=232&stc=1

2 years ago i totoaled the G20 , hit some ice at 30 mph flew off a cliff and the car's roof hit a tree (mid roll). as you can imagine flying off a cliff and into a tree without hitting anything else left the car looking like a taco . the tallest part of the car was the steeringwheel . seat failed in impact but i still managed to leave a head dent in the roof . people that saw this pulled off and saw blood rolling out of the car and were sure i was dead . 5 minutes later i came to and crawled out . crawled up the way and up a beatter side of the area which was a hill type deal . Made it to the road and pased out waiting for the ambulance .17 stiches cuncussion , other cuts and a messed up elbow (sprain from going thru center console) was all i got .

other than that a couple fender beanders , one an old lady didnt see me , ran the stopsign and took the fender off the car .... was hit head on by a 76 buick lesabre that left the scene , hit me at only 15 mph then pushed my car backwards 100 feet . had to turn around and catch him to get the plate number...... the next day a girl driving infront of me on a entrance ramp of saw her boyfreinds car was in a crash and used her emergency brake , i rearended her and had to lockmyself in the car to keep the bat weiding best freind from killing me . by the way that 87 sentra still ran !!!!!

carguy16
07-22-04, 06:40 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=232&stc=1
the next day a girl driving infront of me on a entrance ramp of saw her boyfreinds car was in a crash and used her emergency brake , i rearended her and had to lockmyself in the car to keep the bat weiding best freind from killing me . by the way that 87 sentra still ran !!!!!

Wait, so you are saying the girl stupidly used her emergency brake to stop, you didnt see any brake lights and slammed into her. Where was the bat wielding friend? In your car? Her car? Boyfriends car?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-22-04, 07:09 PM
yup no lights no nothing , thought her lights didnt work , she told the cops she used the emergency brake becuase it was an emergency

bat wieding freind was in her car , i wasnt so much afriad of the girl (mighty fine) but her warped mind and louisville sluggers best wanred me to be afriad

carguy16
07-22-04, 07:34 PM
yup no lights no nothing , thought her lights didnt work , she told the cops she used the emergency brake becuase it was an emergency

bat wieding freind was in her car , i wasnt so much afriad of the girl (mighty fine) but her warped mind and louisville sluggers best wanred me to be afriad

Yes! That was a woman! :bouncy: She used the emergency brake to stop, because it was an emergency. I just told my sister that she should go get her rear brakes checked, and she told me, "I thought the rear brakes were only for the parking brake(emergency brake)?" Scary thought.

Next time you see an angry girl wielding a bat, tell her there are two things she can do with a bat. Swing the bat, or do something more sensible with it. :yup: Hope fully she will pick the more 'sensible' way to use that bat. ;)

Emergecny brake for emergency! How the hell did she get her license? Speaking of emergency brake, is it me, or do cars with the push parking/emergency brake doesnt hold as good as the 'hand pull' style emergency parking brake? On the car I drive, it will hold the car when in park, the car wont move. But put it in drive with the parking brake on, the car will move, even without touching the gas. Of course there are drum brakes on the rear.

carguy16
07-22-04, 07:35 PM
Oh by the way, was she blond? :hmm:

Elvis
07-22-04, 07:52 PM
12/19/83 I totalled a beautiful 1983 Mustang Convertible with only about 7000 miles on it. It was a dark and stormy night...I hit a patch of "black ice" and went into an uncontrollable spin. Technically my fault but anybody would've done the same thing.

I had only owned the car about two months. Since it was so new, the insurance company wouldn't declare it a total loss, so they paid the $11,000 to completely re-build it. In '83 Ford contracted with a company in California to customize a few hundred convertibles, so a few things were out of alignment when I got the car. After it was re-built it was better than new. Of course it took them three months to finish.

bob2231
07-22-04, 07:56 PM
Mind you i have close to 80000 miles under my belt.

You're bragging !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob2231
07-22-04, 07:58 PM
I killed a pole and my 67 Chevelle at the same time.

c5 rv
07-22-04, 08:26 PM
In about 1976, I pulled away from a stop sign at an empty country intersection in my '66 Impala coupe with three of us in the front seat. Another chevy of the same vintage came up over a blind hill from my right probably doing over 90, locked up his brakes, followed me out of the intersection, and nailed my rear quarter panel. We were shook up, but OK. When the cops showed up, they all greeted the other driver by name - an off-duty highway patrolman. I just rolled my eyes and accepted my ticket for failure-to-yield. I banged out the damage and drove the car for another year.

In early '77, I was supposed to drive home from college on a Friday and take a friend with me. However, a blizzard was blowing in and I was thinking about cancelling the trip. My friend had a fit because he had a date or something that weekend and had to get home. I gave in and we hit the road. The going headed east was slow, but steady. Then we turned north-northeast and had to deal with the worsening storm blowing drifts across the road. We followed a semi and several times lost its tail lights in the blowing snow. Eventually we got stuck in a drift and - wham - got hit hard from behind. The only thing we could think of was the semi we thought was behind us. Luckily, it was only a van. We spent about 4 hours in the van and then got word over the CB that there was a farm house about 1/3 of a mile ahead. We had a group of 5 by then and we set out for the farmhouse in temps in the teens, wicked wind chills, and near-zero visibility. I was helping an older truck driver who I didn't think was going to make it, but did. I ended up with a badly frostbitten ear, and I still feel the cold there. Another farmer came by with an large, enclosed 4wd tractor and ferried our growing group of about 15 stranded travelers to other farms to spend the night. On our trip, we nearly got stuck twice. A few days later, we went back to get the car, but the rear end was smashed in to the wheelwells and the battery was gone. It was time to bid the car good-bye.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-22-04, 09:05 PM
Oh by the way, was she blond? :hmm:

ironicly ....no but she had 2 other blondes in the car (one had that bat)

CoupeDevilleRob
07-22-04, 10:18 PM
I've never totaled a car, but I've had my fair share of bang ups. First for the Caddy wrecks. Nothing bad, it's still pretty mint and I'm still driving the thing after all. I got rear ended by a flat bed truck, t-boned a Dodge Spirit that ran a stop sign (that guy got the ass end of that one, caved the whole side of his car in, relatively no damage to the Caddy), smashed the passengers door in on a support column for the elevated subway and i reared ended an Explorer in the rain.

I also plowed my friends 94 Z28 into the back of a Windstar. I did a burnout, hit some sand and gravel and spun out into the van, that one really sucked. His insurance covered it though, so I really took no blame in that one. Anyway, the cops and insurance company only found out about one other, so my insurance really isn't that bad.

All this happened the first 14 months I had a license, its amazing I kept on driving. I've been clean since then, let's hope I stay that way.

caddyshack24
07-22-04, 10:48 PM
Running from the police one night when it was raining, down this curvy ass road and kinda drunk. (It was my friends moms minivan we did beer runs for 2 weeks in) smacked into a telephone poll at about 60-80 MPH head on, airbags deployed we got out and ran away.. was pretty damn scary, I saw the motor slide into the front seat area. Smoke and fire.. the smell of oil.

I still remember that, changed who i am.. was either hit the telephone poll or run into somebodys house, thats an obvious choice.

Anyways, Flashbacks like vietnam right now -- That and your average teenager, locking up the hand brakes and sliding around a dirt road.. jumping hills in a lil ass S-10.. never involved property damage to others.. no police reports, been pretty lucky with all that.

Elvis
07-22-04, 11:12 PM
Running from the police? You didn't get caught?

It's good that you changed. You're still alive.

juiceE
07-23-04, 03:49 PM
...pulled out the entire front end by chaining it to a tree,

I DID THE SAME THING...BUT TO MY PREVIOUS 92 DEVILLE...I HAD RAMMED THE BACK BUMPER A LIL IN...SO I TIED IT UP TO A TELEPHONE POLE IN MY ALLEY, AN SLOWLY REVVED UNTILL I GOT IT BACK INTO POSITION...EVERYONE WAS LOOKIN @ ME THOUGH :drinker