: Splash Shields

gdbradberry
07-22-09, 03:56 PM
I just got my first STS about 3 weeks ago and I love it. 2006 v6 AWD. It had 60k miles on it when I bought it, but having a father who never owned anything but Cadillac, I relied on his wisdom and the fact that he has put 200k + miles on all of his. I feel pretty good about it.

Anyway, there was a nagging rattle coming from the front right of the car on uneven pavement or on surfaces that "vibrate" the car. Not like speed bumps. I finally tracked the culprit down today. It was the shield over the engine on that side. It was broken in half and had no retainers holding it in.

Then I found the Underbody Splash Shield was loose and hanging, having only about half of the retainers holding it on.

I removed both of these shields and, of course, the rattle is now gone.

My question is simple: Does anyone know if these panels are strictly necessary? Or are they (as the name implies) just splash shields to keep the engine compartment nice and tidy?

Thanks for all the help I've already received by reading this forum!

EChas3
07-22-09, 05:04 PM
I think the engine covers help a little with sound management & airflow but they are mostly cosmetic. The underbody trim may be more important for mileage at highway speeds & cooling.

Zpak
07-22-09, 10:11 PM
I fully agreee with the previous post.

Unique Distributing
07-22-09, 11:12 PM
Just to keep everything clean looking.. not much more then that! as long as u just do a engine shampoo once and a while u wont need it.

Cadillac Talan
11-30-09, 03:54 PM
I think the engine covers help a little with sound management & airflow but they are mostly cosmetic. The underbody trim may be more important for mileage at highway speeds & cooling.

listen to this guy, the engine cover is not really necessary. But the underbody panels are very important when it comes to aerodynamics and even more importantly, cooling.

miked
12-05-09, 01:34 AM
Your 06 should still be under warranty (unless it was purchased in 05), in which case, have the dealer take care of it gratis.

MacMuse
12-05-09, 01:01 PM
Your 06 should still be under warranty (unless it was purchased in 05), in which case, have the dealer take care of it gratis.

At 60K miles the original warranty is gone. I doubt the shields are covered by the remaining powertrain coverage, but if you have either CPO or other add-on warranty extension then see if they are covered.

z06bigbird
12-06-09, 12:08 AM
I love old cars with tons of plastic.

Signed
J B Weld

JackG
12-07-09, 02:25 PM
I dont have the underbody sheild (in the front). Its gone...was hanging when I bought it and dealer ripped it off before delivering to me.
So far so good!

EChas3
12-07-09, 05:29 PM
I dont have the underbody sheild (in the front). Its gone...was hanging when I bought it and dealer ripped it off before delivering to me.
So far so good!

I recommend replacement. Your engine cooling and mileage may suffer.:stirpot: