: Affordable wheel option

LV_V
07-21-09, 07:54 PM
Hi all. Since selling my 04 V back in March I have been searching for a new car to purchase in the coming months. I am torn between an 03'ish 996TT or an 09 CTS-V; I know, completely different beasts, but thats neither here nor there haha.

In my search I have undoubtedly been assessing the first round of mods that will be applied within weeks of purchase. I came across these wheels that I think may become the next big hit on the forum:

Forgestar F14 (http://www.forgestar.com/v1/home.php)

They come in several different widths as well as custom offsets (by simply grinding down the part of the wheel that contacts the hub to meet your specified offset). Also available in several finished. Only available in a 19" right now, but a 20" is supposed to be available 3Q 2009... Extremely affordable! What more can you ask for??

I also noticed that they make a fitment for the BMW which happens to have a 5x120 bolt pattern. You guys can run with it from here and I expect to see pics of a blacked out 09V with piano black F14's ASAP. Thats an order :histeric:

Good luck :2thumbs:

http://www.forgestar.com/blog/pics/e921.jpg

http://www.forgestar.com/blog/pics/2silverm5.jpg

http://www.forgestar.com/blog/pics/5451.jpg

http://www.forgestar.com/blog/pics/porsche4.jpg

allklr
07-21-09, 08:45 PM
I ordered my Piano Black F14's 6th of July, They are supposed to ship this week. I will definitely post up pics when done. I was sold when I saw a pic of the matte black ones on a Porsche.

commander112
07-21-09, 09:23 PM
I ordered my Piano Black F14's 6th of July, They are supposed to ship this week. I will definitely post up pics when done. I was sold when I saw a pic of the matte black ones on a Porsche.

cost???

LV_V
07-21-09, 10:42 PM
cost???
$1400-$1500 a set SHIPPED for 19's....

FORGED COLLECTION
07-21-09, 10:57 PM
Those are nice wheels and a great price! Good luck with the decision.

allklr
07-21-09, 11:30 PM
cost???

I paid $1530 including shipping

jwa999
07-21-09, 11:32 PM
I am torn between an 03'ish 996TT or an 09 CTS-V; I know, completely different beasts, but thats neither here nor there haha.

I have both. An '02 996TT (at 55K miles) and an '09 CTS-V. Go with the Porsche!
I'm looking at some 550-600HP upgrades for it. The CTS-V is very nice, got it for my daily driver, but nothing compared to the handling, speed and fun of the Porsche.

Hans.

everdegu
07-21-09, 11:49 PM

Allklr,

What color is your 09CTSV??

I just picked up my 09 CTSV today and live in your area. I bought a Black Raven V. I like these wheels, but don't want to copy cat your ride...lol...

:lildevil:

aco
07-21-09, 11:50 PM
I was wondering why these were so inexpensive. I looked at their site and see they are flow formed and not forged, meaning that they are cast wheels and rolled under preasure. What are the wieghts of the 19's you ordered?

allklr
07-21-09, 11:55 PM
Allklr,

What color is your 09CTSV??

I just picked up my 09 CTSV today and live in your area. I bought a Black Raven V. I like these wheels, but don't want to copy cat your ride...lol...

:lildevil:

lol...you do live close, My car is Black Raven also, I have only seen one other on the road around here. Did you get yours from Heritage? I got mine from Grossinger but go to Heritage for service since its right down the street.

allklr
07-22-09, 12:00 AM
I was wondering why these were so inexpensive. I looked at their site and see they are flow formed and not forged, meaning that they are cast wheels and rolled under preasure. What are the wieghts of the 19's you ordered?

They are supposed to be lighter than cast, The 19 x 8.5 weighs 22.5lbs. I got 19 x 9 and 19 x 10, I'm not sure how much those weight though.

everdegu
07-22-09, 12:29 AM
lol...you do live close, My car is Black Raven also, I have only seen one other on the road around here. Did you get yours from Heritage? I got mine from Grossinger but go to Heritage for service since its right down the street.

Yeah just bought it from Heritage. The only one left over there, is a black one that was without the Recaro's, suede or ultraview.

I went to Grossingers at first but went to Heritage cause its closer and had them trying to match the price I was getting from Scott up in Michigan. In the end they got close enough it wouldnt have been worth driving the 4 1/2 hours to get a better deal.

I guess I will have to look for some other wheels. I did notice that they weren't "really" forged wheels, but I liked them anyway. They are a great price point though. I am thinking I really like the 360forged wheels. But they are WAY more than these...

SlvrBullIT
07-22-09, 01:52 AM
Not to take anything away from Forged360, they have nice wheels but ~1500 for these vs. >=4500 for Forged360, I think these are a bargain. I don't know how roll casted vs. forged are in strength and weight etc. but dang these look sweet too!!!

Prof
07-22-09, 04:05 AM
I would like to hear the weight difference between these and the 360 Forged too.

And even though I am fairly close to both of you, mine is Thunder Gray so I will be a little different if I get these wheels! I want 20" so I can use the oem for the winter with Pirelli Scotto's.

allklr
07-22-09, 10:30 AM
I would like to hear the weight difference between these and the 360 Forged too.

And even though I am fairly close to both of you, mine is Thunder Gray so I will be a little different if I get these wheels! I want 20" so I can use the oem for the winter with Pirelli Scotto's.

I think the matte black ones would look great on your car, Someone did a photoshop for me on clublexus. I will have to find the pic and post it up.

LV_V
07-22-09, 11:33 AM
The weights for the 19x9 and 19x10 seem to fall in the 24-25lb range; not too bad. The offset makes a fairly large difference in weight because they are simply grinding the solid metal backplate down for higher offsets.

SlvrBullIT
07-29-09, 05:31 AM
Anyone know offhand what the dimensions would be for 20" wheels, offset etc....?

Gotham CTS-V
07-29-09, 07:30 AM
What about the weight of the stock wheels vs these? I would think that maybe getting a wider rear wheel than OEM that could save weight would be a nice performance increase.

LV_V
08-24-09, 01:50 PM
Any V's with these wheels on yet?

wfo
08-24-09, 04:24 PM
Go with an 09 V of course... like vette, best bang for the buck. Looks even better when you finally get to lower it an inch and if desired, change the shoes to 20's...shoes not necessary, but lowering IMHO is a must.

The Porsche, a sweet ride, but like the Vette has numerous limitations.As daily drivers you really need to be thinking ahead in terms of the roads you take and how you approach driveways, etc. can be a real P.I.A over the long haul.

At first you'll love the musclecar vibe and sweet look of these aformentioned two seater sportcars. But live with them a little and may tend to get old fast. IMHO..this is true if you are using these two seaters as D.D.'s If they are a third car, these shortcomings probably wouldn't affect ownership quality of life.

allklr
09-04-09, 11:13 AM
DO NOT BUY THESE!!! These do not fit our cars. They were also backordered for over a month and a half. They never did an actual test fit on our cars, The front wheels require a 3mm spacer to clear the brakes. The rears require a spacer larger than 5mm and the tires stick out farther from than the fenders so the fitment is not good at all. The rear requires a space because the center caps cannot be put on with out, The bolt from the hub sticks out to far. I have them on for now, I already dropped off my stock wheels to get powdercoated and I will put them back on next week.

caddiedrummer
09-04-09, 01:04 PM
A wheel dealer suggested Maas wheels to me. Looked nice and very inexpensive at $1000 for 4. Anyone ever heard of Maas?

wfo
09-04-09, 01:12 PM
Yes, sweet wheel. I agree wih Allklr.

I don't think anythings a deal if you need to grind on a wheel to make it fit your expensive 09 V ride.

Getting the correct fitment from te manufacturer for the specified vehicle can prevent warranty issues with that product. There are so many wheel manufacturers out there. By doing your due diligence/homework, there's got to be a wheel that has this look that was actually built to go on the 09 V.

Hindsight is 20/20...and so is the wisdom of not making mistakes made from fitment errors. Self tayloring a specific wheel to go on a car not recommended to work with that car.

And...that's regardless of how many may chime in with, "no problems with mine". Think, down the road. Big picture.

Just my .002 worth. It's your money.

musclesbmf
09-06-09, 12:49 PM
allklr...
can you post some pics just for some eye candy anyways?

thanks,
mark

allklr
09-07-09, 06:41 PM
Wish I could, My car is @ NTB. Sucks getting a flat on Labor day......Hole right on my sidewall. Not sure what i'm going to do yet, Anyone know if they stock these tires @ a CADI dealership? I have to get a new rear tire tomorrow, my stockers are supposed to be back from being powdercoated so I may just wait until the afternoon and get my stock wheels put back on.

neuronbob
09-07-09, 07:30 PM
If you order the stock tires from Tire Rack they the shipping time for you is a day if you order early (assuming you're in Chicagoland.....if I order early AM the tires get to me in the Cleveland area the next day even if they say "two-day" shipping). IOW, don't worry about paying dealer price.

allklr
09-09-09, 06:44 PM
Took 2 pics before I took them off, you have to put a 3mm spacer in the front, In the back you have to put at least a 5mm spacer and even than the cap does not fully seat. The tire actually sticks out farther than the fender which looks ugly to me. The stock ones are back on in high gloss black and they look great. I ended up having to get 3 new tires, I have 4 bubbles on them from potholes around here.