: Can anyone help me ID this colour on my caddy?

mike-jones
07-21-09, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone, Just got my first Caddy, a rare thing here in Scotland...

Anyway, I am trying to identify the colour to paint a door for some rust...

It says on the VIN 13/13T so I assume its Georgian silver but when I mix up that shade against the car the car comes across as more bluey than the silver they mix... can anyone recommend what colour it actually is?

It doesn't look like its been repainted and all the colors match up

the full Vin is;

6CB69FWD024881 BDY
TR 152 13 13T PNT

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!!!

creeker
07-21-09, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone, Just got my first Caddy, a rare thing here in Scotland...

Anyway, I am trying to identify the colour to paint a door for some rust...

It says on the VIN 13/13T so I assume its Georgian silver but when I mix up that shade against the car the car comes across as more bluey than the silver they mix... can anyone recommend what colour it actually is?

It doesn't look like its been repainted and all the colors match up

the full Vin is;

6CB69FWD024881 BDY
TR 152 13 13T PNT

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!!!

Is it as rare as the loch ness monster?, actually maybe the paint tone you mixed up is correct and the car colour has faded or changed over the years, maybe you'll have to eyeball it and try a bit of this and a bit of that with your mixing, good luck,nice car.

mike-jones
07-21-09, 07:28 PM
The caddy is probably rarer than the monster in Scotland :p

It doesn't look faded and it polishes up the same hue.... :helpless:

Bro-Ham
07-21-09, 07:54 PM
Hi, Beautiful car! I love the 1977 Fleetwood Brougham! Wow! Color #13 in 1977 is Georgian Silver. I have the original 1977 Cadillac Exterior Color Selections brochure in my hand and the color appears to be standard silver with no tint of blue. The light blue color for 1977 is called Jennifer Blue, #24, and it is not metallic. There is also a light to medium blue color called "Cerulean Blue Firemist" which is color #90. Good luck with your project! Dave

mike-jones
07-21-09, 08:15 PM
Jennifer blue is a potential, the other I think is too dark...

Are Georgian silver and Jeniffer blue very close in real life?

Bro-Ham
07-21-09, 08:40 PM
Jennifer Blue is not metallic and definitely blue and not even close to Georgian Silver. It is possible your car may have been repainted or faded or perhaps the color is not being mixed properly.

cadillac_al
07-21-09, 10:16 PM
Nice little mystery. The trim tag says the paint is code 13, and code 13 is Georgian Silver, but I sure see a lot of blue in it; especially that first pic. Is the bottoms side of the trunk lid the same color? Is there any sign of a repaint? It sure looks beautiful, almost too beautiful, maybe it ha had a professional restoration in a different color. ??? I've got a 77 Fleetwood too but I never think to add it to my profile here. I plan to start driving it in a week or two. Enjoy the Cadillac style over there.

creeker
07-22-09, 01:34 AM
The caddy is probably rarer than the monster in Scotland :p

It doesn't look faded and it polishes up the same hue.... :helpless:

The paint may be consistent and true within it's self,but that doesn't mean it hasn't faded from original tone.

Cadboy425
07-23-09, 04:55 AM
I've owned a 77 Sedan deville in Georgian silver and you cannot mistake it for anything but silver. I currently own a Jennifer Blue 77 Coupe Deville...it is a powder blue NON metallic color and very pastel. Maybe yours is the Cerulean?
here is a pic of my coupe.
http://cadboy425.zoints.com/image/23606-caddyleftrear

mike-jones
07-23-09, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your post cadboy, very helpfull :)

The search continues... what is Cerulean like in the metal?

Bro-Ham
07-23-09, 11:00 AM
Hi, I have the 1977 Cadillac Exterior Color Selections brochure which has paint chips showing all colors with names and numbers. I can scan it and e-mail it to you if you would like. Dave

Bro-Ham
07-23-09, 11:17 AM
One more thing, I recall back in the late 1970's that silver and light blue GM cars had a terrible problem with the paint fading and/or chipping/peeling off the cars. There was no clear coat finish back then. In fact, I bought a superb original Sterling Blue (light blue metallic) 1978 Fleetwood Limousine back in 2000 which was garaged all its life and had only 28k miles and the paint blew off in several places when I went through a high pressure car wash. Way back in the day I learned to drive on the family hand-me-down 1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency which was silver and had pretty awful semi-chalky paint despite being garaged all its life and cared for normally. We had to repaint the hood and got rid of the car as it became apparent to Papa the whole car would need a repaint sooner rather than later - the car only had 67k miles when it was sold in 1984 - - wish I still had it - - I loved that car! Incidentally, my next hand-me-down family car was our 1977 Sedan deville in Hudson Bay Blue with no vinyl top and bench seat - wish I had that one today too - the dark blue paint on that car was pretty strong all the way to the end of our family ownership in 1991 with 138k miles. Anyway, back to your 1977 Fleetwood Brougham :), it may be quite likely your car was repainted and the color selected may have been done by eye rather than by color code.

Aron9000
07-23-09, 03:38 PM
it may be quite likely your car was repainted and the color selected may have been done by eye rather than by color code.

I'm thinking that this is the case. Our neighbors had a late 1980's suburban growing up. It was silver and I remember them talking about how the paint was recalled, the factory paint had completely clouded over and fadede off after three or four years.