: Potential STS Owner

IwantanSTS
07-21-09, 02:18 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I need a little insight.

I've been considering purchasing a new car around the first of the year. I want a mid-sized V8 sport sedan, and I want something different. The Germans and Japanese are overrated, the English is too small (S-Type) and the only Swedish offering is too expensive (S80 V8).
So that leaves the STS. I always liked this car,(and the seville for that matter), but I'm not familiar with it's reliability. I've known of family friends who had Northstar Devilles in the 90's who had major issues, and this makes me somewhat apprehensive. However, I will most likely be getting a pre-owned 2008 model so I know about the new D.I. V6, and I wonder if its even worth it to buy a V8, but I just sounds of good with a corsa exhaust.

Anyway, is there anything I should look out for with this car, and how high is maintainance cost. I presently drive a SAAB 9-3, and its rather inexpensive.

Thanks for any input.

EChas3
07-21-09, 11:26 AM
IMHO if you find the Saab to be inexpensive to maintain, the STS will be the same. About the only thing you should watch out for is to make sure you get a car equipped the way YOU want and don't settle for nearly or almost 'right'. You're better off with a year older car equipped to your preference than to be forever wondering 'Should I have gotten ...'

Certified Pre-Owned Cadillacs are one of the best values in the industry. The extra 2 years and 50,000 miles of coverage basically offset the somewhat higher repair cost & frequency when compared to the Japanese cars. When you also take into account Cadillac's depreciation, a one-year-old STS can be had for half its list price. You may find a 2007 coming off a three-year-lease at a third of its list. Good deals on a 2008 may be a bit less common until well into 2010.

Still IMHO, get a V-8. They fixed the head gasket problem and this generation N* does not burn oil. They pull hard and sound great. Except on the AWD, the mileage is almost the same.

If it will ever see snow, get AWD. Load up on the options unless you want a softer ride. (The trim level affects used car prices much less than new.) Test drive the exact car (not a similar one) before buying.

Have fun!

IwantanSTS
07-21-09, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I'll more than likely wait until I can get a 2008 model for a reasonable price 24-28K because I like the style changes, especially the new grill.

I really want an STS with a V8 and the performance package, HID, and HUD, but from looking on auto trader, performance models seem pretty rare. These are the models with the previous generation CTS-V wheels, right?

Taking your advice of driving a model optioned the way you want it, I did find a 2007 V8 with the performance package at a Cadillac dealer a few towns over, and I'm going to test drive it this weekend to confirm whether this is a car worth pursuing.

EChas3
07-21-09, 03:18 PM
STS-V wheels are 6-lug & won't fit a standard STS. I think you'll be wanting the 18" nine-spoke polished aluminum 5-lug ones. OEM, the tires are staggered but can be replaced with P255/45R18 all around.

IwantanSTS
07-21-09, 11:29 PM
Are you sure? This is the STS I plan to test drive this weekend.
It's a standard series STS V8, but is has 6-lug wheels. These are the ones I'm
talking about.

EChas3
07-22-09, 12:21 AM
Thats a V wheel. I'd be surprised if someone upgraded the hubs from 5 to 6-lugs. I bet you have found a to-be-cherished export model. I think they only come loaded with the big brakes. It doesn't have the European clear rear lenses and I don't see the rear fog lights.

This is an interesting find. I wonder what the trim level/option set is.

Wow.

IwantanSTS
07-22-09, 02:28 AM
I don't think its quite that special. I cruised Autotrader yesterday, and there were a few, not many, but a few 2007-2009 models with these wheels. They must be a stand-alone option or part of a package, (I assumed the performance/handling pkg). Either way they look great on the car. I just hope that if I do decide to get an STS, I can find one with these wheels when I'm ready to buy.

By the way what do the codes 1SE and 1SG stand for?

K STS
07-22-09, 09:25 AM
1SE and 1SG are trim level option packages.

You can only get 6 lug wheels on export models (extremely rare) or STS-V (very rare.)

IwantanSTS
07-24-09, 07:35 PM
I got a chance to test drive an STS today. Unfortunately, the black/black V8 I posted was sold the day before, so I test drove a 2008 DI V6. It was Sunset Blue with a cashmere interior, and had the V6 luxury package. I also wanted to drive a V8 model, but there weren't any more on the lot.

First off, Sunset Blue is an absolutely gorgeous color. It's a pale blue, but it seems to have gold tint, which makes it change in sunlight.

Overall I really enjoyed the car. The interior was beautiful, comfortable, and very roomy. I loved the wood trim. The STS I drove did not have navigation, which was ok, because I don't want Nav. From pictures, the center controls of non-nav cars looked empty, but in person it looked well integrated. As far as the drive, the handling was great, as it drives much smaller than it really is. Plus the V6 was more than adequate for me, and I'm a speed demon. I got to take it out on the interstate, and I was in ticket territory in no time. I would still like to try a V8, but I'm not sure is the V8's extra HP and torque will improve performance enough worth taking the hit in gas mileage.

This particular car was had 16,000 miles and was $28K, so I figure about this time next year, I could probably get a similarly optioned car beween $20-24K

In reference to the 6-lug wheels (CTS-V). The dealer told me that these became available in 2007, and only on models equipped with the Performance/Handling Pkg, which includes summer tires and Brembo brakes.

I really think a STS is going to be my next car. I just hope I can find a Sunset Blue STS V6 w/o nav, luxury pkg and performance/handling pkg, and i'll have the PERFECT car.

KARL DAHLEN
07-24-09, 07:45 PM
I got a chance to test drive an STS today. Unfortunately, the black/black V8 I posted was sold the day before, so I test drove a 2008 DI V6. It was Sunset Blue with a cashmere interior, and had the V6 luxury package. I also wanted to drive a V8 model, but there weren't any more on the lot.

First off, Sunset Blue is an absolutely gorgeous color. It's a pale blue, but it seems to have gold tint, which makes it change in sunlight.

Overall I really enjoyed the car. The interior was beautiful, comfortable, and very roomy. I loved the wood trim. The STS I drove did not have navigation, which was ok, because I don't want Nav. From pictures, the center controls of non-nav cars looked empty, but in person it looked well integrated. As far as the drive, the handling was great, as it drives much smaller than it really is. Plus the V6 was more than adequate for me, and I'm a speed demon. I got to take it out on the interstate, and I was in ticket territory in no time. I would still like to try a V8, but I'm not sure is the V8's extra HP and torque will improve performance enough worth taking the hit in gas mileage.

This particular car was had 16,000 miles and was $28K, so I figure about this time next year, I could probably get a similarly optioned car beween $20-24K

In reference to the 6-lug wheels (CTS-V). The dealer told me that these became available in 2007, and only on models equipped with the Performance/Handling Pkg, which includes summer tires and Brembo brakes.

I really think a STS is going to be my next car. I just hope I can find a Sunset Blue STS V6 w/o nav, luxury pkg and performance/handling pkg, and i'll have the PERFECT car.

So what are you waiting for? Sounds like mine only mine is Crystal Red. I bought it CPO 16 months ago and have enjoyed driving it ever since. Love the car. Sound like a fair price but I bet you can get another 1 -2K off. I say go for it as long at it is a CPO.

WillySTS
07-24-09, 09:44 PM

That was 2008 models and up.

IwantanSTS
07-25-09, 01:51 PM
I'm not ready to buy just yet, plus the model I drove did not have a sunroof. Thats a deal-breaker for me because I've never owned a car without a one.

fps_dean
07-27-09, 12:01 AM
IMHO if you find the Saab to be inexpensive to maintain, the STS will be the same. About the only thing you should watch out for is to make sure you get a car equipped the way YOU want and don't settle for nearly or almost 'right'. You're better off with a year older car equipped to your preference than to be forever wondering 'Should I have gotten ...'

Certified Pre-Owned Cadillacs are one of the best values in the industry. The extra 2 years and 50,000 miles of coverage basically offset the somewhat higher repair cost & frequency when compared to the Japanese cars. When you also take into account Cadillac's depreciation, a one-year-old STS can be had for half its list price. You may find a 2007 coming off a three-year-lease at a third of its list. Good deals on a 2008 may be a bit less common until well into 2010.

Still IMHO, get a V-8. They fixed the head gasket problem and this generation N* does not burn oil. They pull hard and sound great. Except on the AWD, the mileage is almost the same.

If it will ever see snow, get AWD. Load up on the options unless you want a softer ride. (The trim level affects used car prices much less than new.) Test drive the exact car (not a similar one) before buying.

Have fun!

EChas3 gives good advice. Myself I just drove home a 2005 1SE model which is V8, RWD and every option except 18" rims available on the 1SE package. I wouldn't have minded a 1SG model, but the right 1SE model showed up and while I wouldn't mind some of the extra options, the 1SE certainly has everything I want.

I can't say much about reliability of these cars yet, but I've done thorough research and most sources have told me that Cadillacs have perhaps the best reliability in their class and repairs are also affordable -- unless some of the expensive electronic components break.

Also, you definitely want the moonroof. Wait for one with a moonroof to show up, you will be glad you did!

And I also like the new grill a lot, but really depending on the color. It looks awesome with the new blue and red colors that they added around the same time; with silver or black I think I prefer the older grille slightly.

fps_dean
07-27-09, 12:50 AM
Just a correction, the model that I bought is a 1SF package not a 1SE.

IwantanSTS
07-28-09, 01:39 PM
fps dean, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the V8 so far?