: Active Steering with Enhanced Stabilitrak?

Platinum06
07-21-09, 12:29 AM
I just picked up a 2007 V8 STS-4 and don't know if it has the Active Steering with Enhanced Stabilitrak option?
Does anyone know what the code # is?
Or what package teams up with it...sad thing is I bought on a whim and hope
I got what I should have.
My 2006 CTS would throw up a message on the Nav under hard driving showing "active" but never got the STS to show anything.

SwissSTS
07-21-09, 03:15 AM
This was new for the 08 model:
(JL7) Enhanced 4-channel StabiliTrak with Active Steering on 1SG with AWD

So your car has the standard StabiliTrak system. When the system kicks in there's a message in the Driver Information Center. But with all-whell-drive - and good tires - you have to drive hard on wet or slippery roads in order to see the system active.

In my car StabiliTrak regulary kicks in on a curvy road when driving by a current transformer. Maybe the sensors get confused by the electric field. Otherwise I rarely see the system active.

Cadjiek
07-21-09, 10:38 AM
Mine is an 07 RWD V6. The traction control and stability system are constantanly kicking in. Even on dry pavement. All I have to do is go around a corner at 5mph and it will engage. It is very annoying. In the winter time it is hard to get out into traffic even in slightly snowy conditions. One of these days I will probably get rear ended. I can understand it activating in those conditions but why is it so sensitive on dry pavement at slow speeds? Can the dealer adjust the sensitivity? By the way, this is the first car I have ever driven that did a 180 degree coming into my subdivision. Quite scary! I know, I know, I should have gotten AWD. My wife's 09 CTS AWD is like a tank in the snow and I never see the traction control or stabilitrak kick in. Nice system.

Platinum06
07-22-09, 02:35 AM
Well, I don't see a JL7 code under the trunk mat...there is the 1SG code though.
I even tried again to get something to pop up but nothing.
I took a bunch of on / off ramps at some scary speeds...I have 255/35/20's so I don't know if that's making it harder to see anything.
BTW...The car amazed me, it handles like a Vet.

Platinum06
07-22-09, 02:53 AM
Ok, did some searches online...found this test report, some good reading.
http://www.newcartestdrive.com/printversion-review.cfm?Vehicle=2007_Cadillac_STS&ReviewID=3496

"The all-wheel-drive system is a hard package to top, however, complemented by Magnetic Ride Control and the latest generation StabiliTrak. Cadillac has ratcheted the StabiliTrak back a smidgen from its earlier aggressiveness, and it now waits a bit longer before stepping in. And when it does, it does so less abruptly, too. That's an improvement from a driving enthusiast's point of view because the electronic aids are less intrusive"

nguyendot
07-22-09, 11:59 AM
Mine kicks in like mad with the stock Michelins, and even with the much stickier Fuzion ZRis. Just pulling out from a side road into traffic sets it off as stated previously. I hate it on dry pavement, especially when you need to get up to speed. I sucks when you lose power and can't go faster than 20mph on a 45mph roadway until the traction control lets go.

EChas3
07-22-09, 05:01 PM
There's no harm in turning it off when undesired. The pushbutton next to your passenger's cupholder does the trick. A momentary press turns off traction control and a press & hold (4 secs?) turns off Stabilitrak. The DIC should inform you of the change.

There's an STS & owner I see regularly around here. They have a dog loose in the car and I constantly see them with their flashers on. I bet their traction control is off, too!

Cadjiek
07-22-09, 05:46 PM
That's how I usually take care of the problem. I just turn it off. But it always get's me when I forget. My wife had a 2000 Camaro with limitred slip and electronic traction control that worked really nice. It ran thru the snow a lot better than my STS. The traction control on the Camaro never reduced engine power.

EChas3
07-22-09, 10:57 PM
I think its good that GM dialed it back a bit. It would be 'way cool if there was an agressiveness setting on the RWD's. With AWD, I think I've only seen any of it once or twice... on ice!

rgwekwert
01-25-10, 10:24 PM
After reading this post I am concerned about whether there is truly a problem with my Traction control. Mine reacts as described in the other posts but it seems to kick in all the time and it really seems very dangerous. I pull on to a road that has a 50 mph speed limit but I am limited to under 20 mph I just feel like someone is going to rearend me. This happens on dry pavement going around a corner getting in to traffic. I understand I can hit the TC button but should I have to everytime I get in the car? Does this sound like it is something I should take to the dealer for an adjustment or is this normal operation?
Thanks in advance!

Platinum06
01-26-10, 06:18 PM
Are your rear tires more worn than you fronts?

EChas3
01-26-10, 11:07 PM
Best tires belong on the back. Ask a tire expert.

next2pool
01-27-10, 04:22 PM
After reading this post I am concerned about whether there is truly a problem with my Traction control. Mine reacts as described in the other posts but it seems to kick in all the time and it really seems very dangerous. I pull on to a road that has a 50 mph speed limit but I am limited to under 20 mph I just feel like someone is going to rearend me. This happens on dry pavement going around a corner getting in to traffic. I understand I can hit the TC button but should I have to everytime I get in the car? Does this sound like it is something I should take to the dealer for an adjustment or is this normal operation?
Thanks in advance!

I think your system is working as designed, but I agree with your comments. I'm not as upset about it coming on but it should recover much much more quickly--it holds on forever and sure can put you in a bad spot trying to cross a street or catch up with traffic!

EChas3
01-27-10, 10:55 PM
The traction control in the AWD's is different than the RWD's. The AWD does not have the Limited-slip differential available. The open differentials work with the traction control to deliver driving force to the wheels with traction. The engine isn't cut back like in my wife's RWD.

Do the Limited-slip RWD cars also cut back on the throttle so hard when there's a bit of wheel-slip?