: Can the wife handle a CTS-V

fperra
07-20-09, 04:43 PM
I'm thinking of trading in my wife's 2008 Acura MDX in on a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V or a CTS AWD DI. Whenever we go out together, I end up driving, so you know which one I would prefer. The V would nicely compliment my supercharged 2008 Corvette ZO6. But my concern is that the V would be too much car for here. What are your thoughts on this?

commander112
07-20-09, 05:19 PM
Much like a motorcycle if you treat the throttle with respect she will be fine. If you don't get on it the V drives like regular CTS.

jwa999
07-20-09, 05:19 PM
I'm thinking of trading in my wife's 2008 Acura MDX in on a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V or a CTS AWD DI. Whenever we go out together, I end up driving, so you know which one I would prefer. The V would nicely compliment my supercharged 2008 Corvette ZO6. But my concern is that the V would be too much car for here. What are your thoughts on this?

I let my wife drive the V once when we first got it. She normally drives a M45sport. She immediately mentioned how much power it had. She really started to like it more and more. The car is very well behaved, easy to handle. Stock, the power comes out very gently. She might wanna test the suspension in tour and sport mode for a boob test...

Hans.

readyact
07-20-09, 06:39 PM
She'll be fine as the car is well behaved unless you really get on it.

Malibu310
07-20-09, 07:06 PM
My wife loves the CTS-V, you really need to lay into the throttle to be scary, something a wife is unlikely to do... the car drives normally. We have an automatic, would not recommend the manual if the wife drives, I tried one and the clutch is a bit heavy.

Krug Ford
07-20-09, 07:06 PM
She will have a great time driving it.

Razorecko
07-20-09, 07:08 PM
Just tell her to NEVER turn traction control off and she'll be fine

Cadillac Tony
07-20-09, 07:10 PM
I had a customer recently trade his A8L for a CTS-V, and I could tell that his Wife wasn't real excited about having to drive a "sports car". When I called a few days later to see how they were enjoying the car, she flat out told me that she wasn't expecting to like it but actually was. She specifically commented on how "easy" it was to drive, and how nicely it rode when just cruising around- she was apparently expecting a bone crushing ride because of how well it handles.

Take it from me- if this lady is pleased with the ride and how easy it is to drive, anyone will be.

KatMcRat
07-20-09, 07:19 PM
Of course she can. Being female I'm a little prejudiced I guess though:bouncy: Then again I wanted the ZR1 but having small children I needed more seats being the reason I bought the CTS-V instead. I already have a 02 H/C Z06 that sets in the garage:(

fperra
07-20-09, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the responses. What kind of gas mileage can she expect if she keeps her foot out of it?

1BlinkGone
07-21-09, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses. What kind of gas mileage can she expect if she keeps her foot out of it?

As I understand it, with a good aftermkt tune, your hwy mpg will be good enough that they should refund the gas guzzler tax you pay to own the car...anywhere from @ 24-27mpg hwy, driven sensibly and within speed limits.

For a 556 HP monster like the CTS-V is, anything over 20 mpg is a wonder.
My wife's '07 Charger RT/RT got about 26 mpg @65 mph on flat ground, and that was with the 5.7 Hemi's MDS system (4-cylinders at-cruise speeds). The CTS-V doesn't have that trick up its sleeve, and still does well.

I have no idea what can be done about city mileage, and I don't expect you'd get any better than say, 15-16 mpg... maybe 17 tops.

Tony407
07-21-09, 06:05 PM
As I understand it, with a good aftermkt tune, your hwy mpg will be good enough that they should refund the gas guzzler tax you pay to own the car...anywhere from @ 24-27mpg hwy, driven sensibly and within speed limits.

What tune are you talking about that you might get these kinds of hwy numbers?

I have to agree with everyone else here, the V is a very mild-mannered car when driven normally. Perfectly suitable for anyone.

Tony

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-21-09, 06:19 PM
It's not a pro drag car or a 1000 rwhp torque monster. She will be more than fine. GM didn't make em for the boys only.. And if they were that dangerous or touchy to drive they surely wouldn't give them to the public..

1BlinkGone
07-21-09, 06:20 PM
Tony-

I was doing some websearches regarding CTS-V performance mods and stumbled onto some stuff a month or so ago. I can't recall where at the moment, as I was innundated with input. But there was enough from a few different sources to convince me that over 23 mpg hwy in the CTS-V with an aftermkt tune were not just pipedreams. I wish I could recall. If I do I'll chime-in.

For me, anything resembling an honest 20mpg or beyond is a blessing in this beast.

Aron9000
07-21-09, 06:27 PM
I'd take her out to an empty parking lot while its raining and have her monkey around in it. Do some low speed power slides with the stability control off. If the back end does break loose on the street, she'll know what to do and won't panic.

I did that with my girlfriend driving my Z28 Camaro, so she would get a feel for how the car handles in the rain(that car required some serious disicpline with your right foot in the rain)