: Drive In Movies

MReed918
07-20-09, 03:14 PM
This may be considered a silly question, but I am curious so I am coming to the experts for an answer.

We are lucky enough to live in one of the areas of this country that still has a drive-in movie. No more of those silly old speakers that you hang in your window, tune to an FM station for sound.

We thought it would be fun to take the Caddy to the drive-in movie and utilize the sound system. (It was Transformers 2 and Public Enemies.)

Both movies were long....and about 15 minutes prior to the end of the second movie the battery light came on. We tried to start the car at that time and it would not start.

Is there a way to utilize the 2007 STS Caddy at the drive-in without such a drain on the battery?

K STS
07-20-09, 03:20 PM
Wow... I was going to a drive in this weekend. I sure hope the battery doesnt die!

MReed918
07-20-09, 03:33 PM
Well, both movies were exceptionally long: About 2 hours 20 minutes each. Add intermission to that and it was a long stretch. (But the seats were sure comfy!)

We live in Oklahoma and had no need to run the AC or heat during the movie. Maybe if we try it again we will start the engine every now and then.

Plus, the local drive-in here is owned by a very nice family that is there to serve. They were able to give us a jump. Not my first choice, but it got us home.

EChas3
07-21-09, 02:34 PM
I've been thinking that a battery booster isn't a bad idea for these cars. Can $70 can buy an effective one?

Aurora5000
07-22-09, 08:21 AM
Sounds like you need a new battery. The GM Delcos are poor batteries.

gdbradberry
07-22-09, 03:03 PM
When I left for work this morning, mine wouldn't start either. Had to give it a jump to start. I THINK someone didn't close their door all the way last night.

Once I jumped it, however, it has started up each time just like it should.

Is this really that common a problem that i should consider a battery jumper, as has been suggested?

EChas3
07-22-09, 04:01 PM
A good battery shouldn't have any problem with 30 minutes, even with the stereo cranked. GM would also not have engineered the 10-Minute Battery Minder feature (or whatever its called) if there was no need. The STS won't even try to start if the battery level is low. That makes it different than every car I have ever driven.:duck:

A door ajar shouldn't be the problem. Hitting the 'Off' button twice is more likely, but the car should ding at you if you leave the accessories on. Once my wife's car failed to start but it must have been something I did.:banghead:

We read this so often on this forum that I'm convinced that most STS owners would be happier with a state-of-the-art battery. Industrially, I have always favored Exide because they make many of the other brands, anyway. The latest designs look almost like a six-pack of Foster's wrapped in the shrink wrap used for winter boat storage!:histeric:

Race teams have the most riding on their batteries. Joe Gibb's Interstate Batteries team always runs two with a manual switch. Like so much in Nascar, it isn't high tech but it is effective!:hmm:

Greg00coupe
07-22-09, 06:27 PM
Last 2 Delcos I had I got almost 10 years out of each one............ I'm a fan.

ddgm
07-22-09, 06:32 PM
Interestingly, I just had a Vin check done and it shows the battery being replaced twice, once at 1 year and 10000 miles and at 2 years and 16000miles.

Doug

AllWheelEric
07-22-09, 10:05 PM
Back to the drive-in movie idea. Is there a way to leave the power on for more than 10-20 minutes without the engine on? I thought it would shut off after some amount of time, even in accessory mode.

stevenriz
07-24-09, 07:17 AM
I had GM vehicles since 98 and never replaced a battery. Lumina LTZ 99-00, GS Regal 00-05, CXS LaCrosse 05-09. now the 05 sts I got with 15k miiles a few months back. My first visit to the dealer showed the battery being replaced twice in this car just like yours DDGM. Maybe because the cars weren't used very much back then? I think a little old lady drove my car for 4 years before I got it. anyway I hope that's it. Either way, I think this car as well as my LaCrosse shut off all lights that were inadvertantly left on (trunk, door, dome) after some time frame as to not kill the battery. I always leave my trunk open all night and have never had a problem... yet...