: Cleaning difficult windows / windshields

Gary Wells
07-20-09, 01:00 PM
My passenger side windshield has something on it that is not coming off very easy. Usind any commercial window cleaner, spray can or bottle, you see spots that vary in dia from about .05 to about .375 just before the spray dries off. I have been polishing it off with polish / wax, and it is coming off ever so slowly, real pain. Doesn't hurt vison, but feels different when the rag is moved over it. Basically sucks, period. Only on the passenger side windshield, no where else. The same results with all glass cleaners. Help, please
TIA/R: Gary Wells

haterinc
07-20-09, 03:12 PM
what has been going on in the passenger seat?... i believe the uhh break in period refers to the motor lol

Gary Wells
07-20-09, 03:16 PM
Uh, um, OK, you got me, external, as in outside of windshield.

AuPanda
07-20-09, 03:26 PM
Sounds like dry sap.

CSX
07-20-09, 05:11 PM
Take some 0000 steel wool to the glass, go down to 000 if that doesn't work. I've used fine steel wool to remove hard water spots from glass, and things don't get much more stubborn than that.

If you can feel the stuff with you fingernail, spray some window cleaner on the window, and gently scrape at it with a straight-edge razor blade.

rjoffe
07-20-09, 05:14 PM
Have you tried to wipe with a newspaper? black and white only. I use that with the window cleaner, provides a bit more abrasiveness then paper towel, less the steel wool

Vlakaz
07-21-09, 02:14 AM
What about nail polish remover? if on the outside of the windsheild that should take off any sap. Just make sure and DO NOT use it on the paint :)

Gary Wells
07-21-09, 05:22 AM
Thanks, everybody, took clay barring, then glaze, & then window cleaner, and it's still not perfect, but almost.

Prof
07-21-09, 07:11 AM
Several old school approaches:

1. The steel wool...
2. Try a clay bar!
3. The newspaper dipped in vinegar.
4. Goop stain remover.

I would start with the clay bar, go to the vinegar then try the Goop before I tried the steel wool.

thunder gray
07-21-09, 09:02 AM
This may sound goofy but try W-D 40. Takes bumper sticker residue off and may work here.

CSX
07-21-09, 12:08 PM
Thanks, everybody, took clay barring, then glaze, & then window cleaner, and it's still not perfect, but almost.

If it's stuck on there good, all the glaze and cleaner in the world won't take it off. Go with fine steel wool, a razor blade, or vinegar and newspaper, one of them is guaranteed to work. And none will harm the glass.

tedcmiller
07-21-09, 09:47 PM
A very smart lady once told me, "All you need is either WD-40 or duct tape. You put the WD-40 on things that don't move but should, and you put the duct tape on things that move but shouldn't." I have used WD-40 combined with 0000 steel wool to remove most all undesirable stuff from all surfaces. The 0000 steel wool usually won't scratch and the WD-40 acts a lubricant to ensure that it doesn't.

Gary Wells
07-21-09, 10:04 PM
thanks everybody for your help. I ended up getting almost all of it off with lighter fluid, (not necessarily a good idea, but workable under the circumstances), then clay barring using quick detailer as a lubricant, & glaze followed up with window cleaner.