: Need advice on pricing my 1992 for sale.

robb257731
07-20-09, 11:56 AM
Hi all.

I have a 1992 Brougham D'Elegance with 189000 kms/117000 miles on it. As per my prior posts, the car needed paint and bodywork, and I've since found and bought a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance that doesn't need paint, has leather, wire rims, etc.

I've had many estimates on a full paint job with the bodywork, and the average price was $5000.00 (Canadian). I had another shop tell me he could take off the rust and "make the car look respectable" for $2000.00.

So as much as I love my 1992, I need to sell it as I don't have enough docking space for my 1991, the 1992 and my daily driver.

I'm trying to come up with a value.

The car is fine mechanically, and since I bought it in September 2008, it's had the a/c converted to the R134 sytem, new serpentine belt, new rear brakes (complete). It also had a new catalyitic converter put in in September 2008. The guy I bought it from put a new alternator in it a couple of years ago. The interior is good...blue tufted velour, the headliner has a bit of a sag, but not much, all of the digital dash components work. The power antenna is not working, and I don't know why. It didn't work when I bought the car, then one day it just started working, and it's been going strong from November to about a month ago when it quit again. The car has the wire hubcaps, with whitewall tires that are maybe 4 years old, basically full tread.

There is a spot of rust on the hood at the left front corner (the lower panel of the hood, not the raised centre part) that will need new metal. It's about the size of a silver dollar. There is also rust along the trim line on the doors, and it's starting to get some surface rust over the back wheel wells. I had the car put up on a hoist and there are no holes in the floor, and the frame is solid.

I basically want to get what I paid for it in 2008....I've put $1300.00 into it since then, but I don't expect to get that out of it.

I'll post a few pics of the rust, and would welcome your opinions on price. I thought about keeping it for parts for the 91, but as I said, I don't have room for it.

I've also been wondering what the car would be worth if I spent the $2000.00on the paint.

Any thoughts?

jayoldschool
07-20-09, 12:01 PM
If you spend 2k on paint, I think you might be lucky to make 2k back. Don't bother painting it. You aren't going to make your money back on this one. Either sell it and take a loss, part it out (and maybe come close to even), or keep it for a winter car/parts.

Bro-Ham
07-20-09, 01:53 PM
I'd like to see what it looks like. I need a beach car... :)

robb257731
07-20-09, 02:29 PM
Here's a pic Bro-ham.

I'll post some more in the next day or so.

I see your point Jay...I had thought about keeping it for parts/winter, but I don't have the space for them all. This past winter was really hard on the body, as I don't have a garage. The car wasn't driven when the ground was snow covered, etc, so it wasn't exposed to salt, but even so, the rust has visibily progressed from last fall.

I know what I'm aiming for price wise, but I'd like to get a general consensus just to ensure I'm not out of my mind.

Stingroo
07-20-09, 02:57 PM
What kind of rust is there? What kind of condition is the top in? Interior? Pics of that might be helpful to gauge the price, because from what I see there, that car looks pretty decent.

Then again, looks can be deceiving.

robb257731
07-20-09, 03:07 PM
I'll post more pics tonight....the weather has been horrible here, so hasn't been great for picture taking. Good thing you mentioned the vinyl top....it's decent..still supple. It has no tears, although there is a tiny nick on one side. One thing to mention is that the car was originally painted Sapphire Mist, and the top was blue. It was professionally dyed at the time the car was painted grey. The dye on the vinyl on the rear doors around the opera windows is starting to fade a bit, and you can see a hint of the blue underneath.

Stingroo
07-20-09, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but if the top is supple and nice, and only needs cleaning instead of replacement, someone looking to restore it would probably be grateful for a re-dye instead of a replacement.

Weather sucks. :P

jayoldschool
07-20-09, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see what it looks like. I need a beach car...

If you are from Florida, you don't want to see a car from Canada. Our road salt is not kind to vehicles...

Stingroo
07-20-09, 06:39 PM
NO road salt is kind to vehicles. I remember in Maine, the salt absolutely ate away at my dad's Cutlass. :(

jayoldschool
07-20-09, 07:04 PM
Yes, the underside of my mother's winter car in Ft. Lauderdale is amazing. It is a 91 Caprice, and it is barely dusty. Cleanest car I have ever seen...

Bro-Ham
07-20-09, 07:36 PM
Quote:
I'd like to see what it looks like. I need a beach car...
If you are from Florida, you don't want to see a car from Canada. Our road salt is not kind to vehicles...

Hi, How bad can this car be? I'm a recent transplant to FL, lived in Minnesota all my life so I've seen plenty of crusty old cars. If this 92 has good bones it should go to someone who will give it some lovin'. I'm looking for just the right fabulous beach beater.

jayoldschool
07-20-09, 08:57 PM
Oh, if you've lived in Minnesota, then you understand.

Stingroo
07-20-09, 08:58 PM
Oh if you're a FL transplant then you'll know what to look for rust wise. :)

Not too many of us native Floridians anymore. :(

Bro-Ham
07-20-09, 10:12 PM
I owned a used car lot and an auto repair shop for 17 years when I lived there so I sure saw plenty of rusty cars. :) I always liked to drive at least one cool old car that was a bit ticky-tacky just for fun as a "utility car" for running around in or loaning out to people. The problem was I always ended up restoring these cars... My 79 Sedan deVille is from Wisconsin although it was a one owner low mileage garage queen when I acquired it. It looks almost like new. I have to say Florida cars that live outside can look just as ugly as rust buckets from the north that were exposed to the salt.

brougham
07-20-09, 10:37 PM
Well its a D'Elegance it has that going for it. What engine does it have? Being painted a different colour with the top being painted too hurts any value it might have. But youd need to show more pictures for anyone to be able to figure out what its worth.

csbuckn
07-20-09, 11:20 PM
I would put it up for 1300 with a nice ad and convincing pics just to get people to the car. I wouldnt accept offers over the phone but invite them to see the car and go from there. People above the salt line will appreciate a car that isnt too bad. 2K for a cleanup paint job is kinda high but from the pic so far, it looks like it would sell here with no problem. Shoot for the correct value then accept what you want. The ad has to be nice enough to get people to the car though. I think advertising is the key.

robb257731
07-21-09, 09:00 AM
I've been trying to upload my pics this morning, but the upload keeps failing. I think they're too big...will resize tonight and post.

robb257731
07-21-09, 09:00 AM
Oh....and the engine is the 5.7.

Stingroo
07-21-09, 10:54 AM
If it's giving you a lot of trouble upload to like, imageshack or photobucket and paste the forum links.

robb257731
07-21-09, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Stingroo, photobucket never crossed my mind.

Here's a link to my car shots.http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/robb257731/

Stingroo
07-21-09, 01:12 PM
No problem. :) Hopefully someone can chime in who knows a bit more. Possibly Jayoldschool, since he's from your neck of the woods.

jayoldschool
07-21-09, 01:26 PM
Hopefully someone can chime in who knows a bit more. Possibly Jayoldschool, since he's from your neck of the woods.

What do I need to chime on? Did I miss something? :)

robb257731
07-21-09, 02:14 PM
C'mon Jaybert, chime in on your thoughts as to what I should ask for Edward. I know my bottom line for the car...I just want to know if it's in the ballpark of what a Cadillac fan would be willing to pay.

jayoldschool
07-21-09, 03:21 PM
jaybert, lol, that's a new one.

Looking at the pics (and not seeing any underneath shots or interior), the mileage, and mindful of work it may need... I would ask $1500 and take lower. That's just me, though. It might be a bargain for someone, but others might consider it overpriced.

robb257731
07-21-09, 04:02 PM
Sigh...I should have a V-Chip installed in my head to prevent me from making impulse purchases on Ebay. I'm going to try for more than 1500.00. I was planning on asking $2500.00 for it. I might not GET it, but it's worth a shot. I'd likely make more than $1500 from it if I parted it out.

brougham
07-22-09, 10:15 PM
That dark grey with blue interior looks strange. $2,500 is a good place to start. Its a D'Elegance with a 5.7L those are harder to find.

robb257731
07-23-09, 08:38 AM
I've never thought the blue interior looked strange on the grey car...that being said, it probably wouldn't have been the combination had the car origionally been painted grey. It was blue when it was new.

I need to get this car sold....it's preventing me from enjoying its replacement. LOL. I refuse to have 3 cars on the road at once, and I have to keep this one street legal until it's gone.

robb257731
08-06-09, 09:10 AM
Update...SOLD for $2500.00!!! I'm happy!!! :cheer:

jayoldschool
08-06-09, 10:29 AM
Congrats, robb! Good price for you and the buyer.

robb257731
08-06-09, 10:47 AM
Thanks Jay. I was really worried that nobody would want it, and I'd be stuck with a rotting hulk in my driveway. I was all set to strip it down and send the hulk off to the wreckers. The guy who bought it was completely unconcerned with the rust....said he could deal with it no problem.

robb257731
08-06-09, 11:11 AM
Thanks Jay. I was really worried that nobody would want it, and I'd be stuck with a rotting hulk in my driveway. I was all set to strip it down and send the hulk off to the wreckers. The guy who bought it was completely unconcerned with the rust....said he could deal with it no problem.

brougham
08-07-09, 12:45 AM
Glad you sold it like you wanted to. See people go after the 5.7L D'Elegances!