: Cadillac Sts-V vs. Pontiac G8 GXP

inurok
07-20-09, 12:50 PM
These guys are saying their stock G8 Gts are doing 13.3 etc at the track. Have any of you guys went against one yet? I went against 2 sorta and i won both times but I still wonder about the G8. I actually was looking for a G8 when I was in the market for my STS-V but could not find any in the right config locally.

I am super happy I chose the STS-V instead but it hurt my Ego when I read base G8 gts are quicker.

fast impala
07-20-09, 01:24 PM
I took my Impala SS to a bracket race Friday night, and one of the cars was a G8, and he was dialing 13.00's, but I never saw him run. And, I don't know if he was modded, or not.

inurok
07-20-09, 09:48 PM
I took my Impala SS to a bracket race Friday night, and one of the cars was a G8, and he was dialing 13.00's, but I never saw him run. And, I don't know if he was modded, or not.

Yeah form what i read people are just bolting on simple mods and getting huge performance gains for very little cheddar. I thought my STS-V was the biggest and baddest on the block but now these kids with G8s.....sheesh :hmm:

55cadillacking
07-21-09, 12:32 AM
Just sold my wife's '09 G8 GT for an Audi Q7. It was quick, but CHEAP! I used to get headaches from the plastic fumes. The exhaust note was non-existent, but overall a real good bang for the buck car. Comparing it to the V would be silly though. My V blew its doors off when my buddy drove it to the dealer for me. 361 bhp and couldn't get a peep from the rear wheels on launch. The forum is full of 20-somethings talking about how it rocks Lambos. All in all, it was fun for 3 months but I'm glad it is gone. The paint quality was easily the worst I have ever seen. Sold it with 5000 kms on the clock and it looked like it had done 50k.

The GXP is impressive, but still the same cheap plastic interior and paint.

leija_01
07-21-09, 04:38 AM
word.

inurok
07-21-09, 06:04 AM
J Comparing it to the V would be silly though. My V blew its doors off when my buddy drove it to the dealer for me.

Yeah i would assume the same thing too but listen to G8 owners tell it and they claim Stock GTs taking Srt8s and Vs left and right?

55cadillacking
07-21-09, 02:55 PM
..and Lambos.

VineTime
07-23-09, 12:43 PM
We will beat a G8 GT but the G8 GXPs are "supposed" to be a little quicker.

CIWS
07-23-09, 01:53 PM
With an LS3 under the bonnet I wouldn't doubt it. But the GXPs are few and far between.

55cadillacking
07-23-09, 02:04 PM
They never got around to selling the GXP's in Canada so I never have to worry about being put in the dirt by a Pontiac! I do like the GXP for its bang-for-buck factor, but the level of luxury in the G8's is very very low. The option list is very short.

V-Eight
07-23-09, 07:31 PM
Yeah form what i read people are just bolting on simple mods and getting huge performance gains for very little cheddar. I thought my STS-V was the biggest and baddest on the block but now these kids with G8s.....sheesh :hmm:

Bigger engine = better

SBC>N*

silverws6ta
07-23-09, 08:35 PM
Bigger engine = better

SBC>N*

'No replacement for displacement' doesn't hold the same truth these days!

V-Eight
07-23-09, 10:33 PM
In this case it does.

silverws6ta
07-24-09, 12:45 AM
In this case it does.

Hmmm..
G8 GT = 6.0 Liter / 361hp -/+ = 60.16 Hp/Liter
G8 GXP = 6.2 Liter / 402hp -/+ = 64.83 Hp/Liter
STS-V = 4.4 Liter / 469hp -/+ = 106.59 Hp/Liter

I'm using what I consider my rudimentary education on those figures..

V-Eight
07-24-09, 12:50 AM
I'm talking bout GXP which is about 425, and now slap a supercharger on the G8 and you've got win.

inurok
07-24-09, 01:30 AM
This makes me said :crying:

V-Eight
07-24-09, 01:37 AM
The fact that a car half the price is competitive with your car?

HeavyH20
07-24-09, 02:44 AM
Competitive in a straight line, maybe, but in nothing else. I looked at a new G8 GT, fully loaded (if you can call it that) and I opted for Caddie, instead. I could not get over that the G8 felt too much like a kids car, truth be told. It is nice, but was not in the same category as the STS-V or the CTS-V.

55cadillacking
07-24-09, 03:07 AM
This thread makes my head hurt.

HeavyH20
07-24-09, 04:35 AM
Asprin, anyone?

Now, if we are only talking about the GXP, it is like comparing the old CTS-V with some luxury options missing to the STS-V. The Recaro seats, magneto shocks, big brakes, 6 speed Tremec 6060, interior upgrades definitely takes it up a few notches over the GT with some shared items from the new CTS-V. I think it is a bit faster than the STS-V or older CTS-V, but not my much. It would be definitely be a driver's race at the track. But, after the race, I am sure you would all enjoy the comfort and luxuries in your current ride, even if you lost :)

I f I had to pick between the two, my vote is the STS-V even though the GXP is pretty much a Pontiac branded CTS-V. Hell, wasn't the STS-V the inspiration for the look of the new CTS-V? :duck:

silverws6ta
07-24-09, 10:16 AM
Asprin, anyone?
Hell, wasn't the STS-V the inspiration for the look of the new CTS-V? :duck:

Uhh ohhhhh.... haha :getaway:

inurok
07-24-09, 10:32 AM
The fact that a car half the price is competitive with your car?

Pretty much

V-Eight
07-24-09, 10:40 AM
Competitive in a straight line, maybe, but in nothing else. I looked at a new G8 GT, fully loaded (if you can call it that) and I opted for Caddie, instead. I could not get over that the G8 felt too much like a kids car, truth be told. It is nice, but was not in the same category as the STS-V or the CTS-V.

I was referring to the STS-V, you got the CTS-V which is way better then the STS or the GXP.

inurok
07-24-09, 10:42 AM
I was referring to the STS-V, you got the CTS-V which is way better then the STS or the GXP.

It is? Gen 1?

V-Eight
07-24-09, 10:50 AM
Ah, nope lol its about equal hahha. Gen 2 is way better in both amenities and speed.

DraganHawk
07-30-09, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about the G8s. The GXPs are quick and rare. DO NOT RUN, I repeat, DO NOT run a G8 Firehawk. That will eat the new CTS-V for lunch

mik2718
07-30-09, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't worry about the G8s. The GXPs are quick and rare. DO NOT RUN, I repeat, DO NOT run a G8 Firehawk. That will eat the new CTS-V for lunch

Based on what performance comparison with the CTS-V? I'd expect the G8 Firehawk to out-accelerate an STS-V (which certainly does not make the Firehawk the better vehicle), but on what comparison would the Firehawk "eat the new CTS-V for lunch"?

DraganHawk
08-02-09, 02:48 AM
Based on what performance comparison with the CTS-V? I'd expect the G8 Firehawk to out-accelerate an STS-V (which certainly does not make the Firehawk the better vehicle), but on what comparison would the Firehawk "eat the new CTS-V for lunch"?

Mind you, I'm a newbie here to this forum. Not looking to get in a pissing match with no one. I don't know why the worry of G8? Pontiac is Pontiac and Caddy is Caddy. I'm a GM guy. I'm glad GM can put out a Firehawk, STS V, CTS v and so on. Guys who enjoy performance will like the Firehawk. Guys who think their V is the best thing on Earth, then consider this a poke. The G8 Firehawk is new and it is making the performance testing circuit (motor trend and such). So stay tuned.............
According to Motorweek: I hate bench racing but you asked for comparison

2009 Firehawk G8 2009 CTS-V
500 hp 556 hp
0-60 4.0 4.2
1/4 12.@124mph12.7@115

I know the lateral acceleration is higher than the V's .91g. Further numbers will be out as performance test are done.

What I really like is that the Firehawk tested 22.6mpg compared to the V's17.7mpg .

I've been lurking here since Feb 2009. Just recently became a member. Checking out the players to see whats what. I liked it here. I feel there is a strong passion for these cars. So I joined. Cool?

DraganHawk
08-03-09, 06:08 PM
I responded but it hasn't posted yet. Powers to be have not "allowed" it to go thru.

mik2718
08-03-09, 09:42 PM
According to Motorweek: I hate bench racing but you asked for comparison

2009 Firehawk G8 2009 CTS-V
500 hp 556 hp
0-60 4.0 4.2
1/4 12.@124mph12.7@115

I guess "lunch eating" is subjective and it depends on whose numbers you like. C&D tested the Firehawk G8 at 12.6/115 in the 1/4 and the auto CTS-V at 12.2/119. I would not be surprised to see some Firehawks beat some CTS-Vs, and vice versa, in various 1/4-mile speed contests.

I've bought nothing but Pontiacs since my first GTO in 1965, until now, and I love Pontiacs. Still have a 1966 GTO which never did better than 13.35/102 in a 1/4. Nevertheless, I picked a CTS-V over a G8 GXP or G8 Firehawk. It's unlikely I'll ever take the V to a drag race.

And, I enjoy keeping up with STS-V information, even though I don't have one. If the STS-V came in red, I would've picked it over the CTS-V.

HeavyH20
08-03-09, 10:21 PM
To be fair, the reviews depend on the magazine testing. C&D got their CTS-V down the quarter in 12.2 at 119. The video I just saw on youtube (SpeedWeek) had the Firehawk trouncing down the quarter at 12.1 @ 124 with 0 to 60 times at 4.0 seconds. Definitely on par with the CTS-V for performance.

mik2718
08-04-09, 12:15 AM
I think it's amusing that we (and I do include myself in "we") have gotten off topic. What does CTS-V vs. G8 Firehawk have to do with this thread?

I'd take a red STS-V (if it existed) over a red G8 GXP any day, but I wouldn't be anxious to challenge the G8 GXP in a 1/4-mile speed contest.

DraganHawk
08-04-09, 01:25 AM
we did get off topic. I love my V and would not trade it in for a Hawk. But I'm not gonna worry about it beating me anyway.
I stopped worrying about that when I guy at SLP day loooong time ago came with an '80's 4cyl turbo plymouth voyager, switched out his turbo for a semi turbo and ran a 9 or 10 second something 1/4 mile. no seats no carpet.
I think it may still be on you tube.
My point being was to say not to worry about the G8 or GXP. U lose, big deal.

And I do like and appreciate MIKE2718 that even though you have the new V and I am a newbie here, that you didn't start to "atack". Very nice.:yup:

HeavyH20
08-04-09, 03:59 AM
Agreed. Faster does not make a car better, just faster. The STS-V represents an approach to blending luxury and performance that almost anyone has to admit is very successful, albeit expensive. And, in spite of what the guys on the new CTS-V forum think as crazy talk, people still do buy and choose the STS-V as an option over the CTS-V. We know more than a few of you made that decision. :)

For me, the turning point for fast as the only goal was witnessing a Gremlin 360, green, race down the quarter in under 12 seconds. Just then, I realized that, as shallow as it may seem to some, the shiny, attractive cover of the book was just as important to me as the words. The limited release, hand signed hard cover for twice the cost of the paperback does have value !

inurok
08-07-09, 01:45 AM
I guess I have a case of the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome lol.

CIWS
08-09-09, 10:40 PM
If you feel your car is not fast enough, just stick a JATO bottle on it. :D

inurok
08-12-09, 11:45 AM
If you feel your car is not fast enough, just stick a JATO bottle on it. :D

My car is fast but so is a maxima. You can only go so fast on public roads but its nice to know you one of the biggest and baddest on the road if you wanted to be. Cars like the GXP g8 just diminish that feeling I guess?

CIWS
08-12-09, 12:03 PM
A maxima is "fast" ?

inurok
08-12-09, 02:42 PM
A maxima is "fast" ?

Stepmom just got a brand new one seemed pretty quick when i drove it so? update your data banks these new cars are fast!!!

CIWS
08-12-09, 03:47 PM
I guess it's just personal definition, but a car these days that's at 14.7 sec 1/4 mile I would call quick, but not fast.

(290 bhp @ 3550lbs)

inurok
08-14-09, 03:50 AM
I guess it's just personal definition, but a car these days that's at 14.7 sec 1/4 mile I would call quick, but not fast.

(290 bhp @ 3550lbs)

LOL those used to be very respectable numbers. Yeah the maxima is no STS-V but it was surprising quick but I didnt care much for the CVT as I kept waiting for it to shift..

silverws6ta
08-14-09, 12:05 PM
LOL those used to be very respectable numbers. Yeah the maxima is no STS-V but it was surprising quick but I didnt care much for the CVT as I kept waiting for it to shift..

One of my friends had a new Altima for his company car.. I called it the 'jetski' because thats what that trans reminds me of. I don't like it.. I need to feel a shift!

CIWS
08-15-09, 11:26 AM

I drove a Murano for a couple of years before getting the CTS-V. I liked the CVT, but it does take a little getting used to after being in cars that shift. Nissan just needs to get their HP numbers up, IMO they should build a "sport" model Maxima that has a tuned 3.7 in it like the 370Z Nismo. It would still be several hundred pounds heavier than the 370, so no competition threat.

inurok
08-15-09, 02:36 PM
I drove a Murano for a couple of years before getting the CTS-V. I liked the CVT, but it does take a little getting used to after being in cars that shift. Nissan just needs to get their HP numbers up, IMO they should build a "sport" model Maxima that has a tuned 3.7 in it like the 370Z Nismo. It would still be several hundred pounds heavier than the 370, so no competition threat.

I was curious as to why the kept the VQ 3.5 as the sole engine in their flagship model. At least offer a SE with the 3.7 VQ. Hp numbers are fine for the front wheel drive car and i would not expect them to add more for a reason I guess. FWD and high output engines make for smoke burnouts but that's about it.

CIWS
08-16-09, 11:26 AM
So it needs a tuned 3.7 and AWD :D (of course that would probably remove CVT)

inurok
08-19-09, 02:27 PM
So it needs a tuned 3.7 and AWD :D (of course that would probably remove CVT)

Speaking of AWD does anyone thing the next V-series car will be awd. That would really put it ahead of the competition I think?

CIWS
08-19-09, 05:53 PM
Unlikely the V will see AWD. GM likes their performance cars to be RWD.

On a side note I've got my eye on and watching the upcoming Infiniti M56 :D

Florian
08-20-09, 12:03 AM
too much TQ for trxfr case and half shaft to handle....then you get all that added wt.....all bad.

F

inurok
08-20-09, 12:49 AM
too much TQ for trxfr case and half shaft to handle....then you get all that added wt.....all bad.

F

Nissan did it with the GTR and that things super powerful but yeah it weighs alot less. Hey people said 300 hp was too much for a front wheel drive car and now look at how many are on the road.

Anyway just dreaming i guess.....

V-Eight
08-20-09, 01:01 AM
Hmmm..
G8 GT = 6.0 Liter / 361hp -/+ = 60.16 Hp/Liter
G8 GXP = 6.2 Liter / 402hp -/+ = 64.83 Hp/Liter
STS-V = 4.4 Liter / 469hp -/+ = 106.59 Hp/Liter

I'm using what I consider my rudimentary education on those figures..

STS-V $105k - 469 HP = 469HP/105k = .0045HP/$
GXP $40k - 402 HP + 5k Supercharger = 500HP/45k = .01HP/$

.....yeah

Nissan did it with the GTR and that things super powerful but yeah it weighs alot less. Hey people said 300 hp was too much for a front wheel drive car and now look at how many are on the road.

True, but much of that is due to better designs in these newer cars.