: stuck on what else to check, daytime running light

93civEJ1
07-20-09, 11:58 AM
Ok, so I spent a good little while last night changing out my 4114k daytime running light bulbs with a fresh set. I have 1 side that will not come on.

It started out that it would be out, and then eventually just come on again.

Well, then the other side would be out, but now it stays on, and the original one is completely out and will not come on no matter what I try.

Can anyone think of what else to check?

I checked fuses last night, and also changed both bulbs, and the 1 will still not turn on for some reason. Its annoying.

sk7
07-20-09, 12:51 PM
I would start by checking at the connector of the headlight assembly for 12V. You can probably compare with the one side that is working for the wire color or order on the plug. On my 02 the DRL come on with the park brake off and the tranny has to be out of park. Ask me how I know... (had to replace 2 good bulbs thinking they were burnt since it wasnt working.) :banghead:

sfv41901
07-20-09, 02:11 PM
I would start by checking at the connector of the headlight assembly for 12V. You can probably compare with the one side that is working for the wire color or order on the plug. On my 02 the DRL come on with the park brake off and the tranny has to be out of park. Ask me how I know... (had to replace 2 good bulbs thinking they were burnt since it wasnt working.) :banghead:

Sound like a short to me. I would do waht SK7 suggested, but just start at the plug for the bulb itself first. It might be a short inside the light.

Another thing to look at is the bulb connector it self. These bulbs get pretty hot & I have seen some of these connectors start to melt due to the heat. They dont melt completly, but they get deformed. It might be that the contacts in the connector arnt touching the bulb contacts

as far a the parking brake, not all lades will keep the DRLs off when the parking brake is on. I have an 06 & my DRLs will turn on once I take the tranny out of park, but I could still have the parking brake on.

02ltinslc
09-10-09, 01:35 AM
I changed mine today to LEDs. Now nothing. I 've tried everything( flipping bulbs,replacing fuse,replacing relay,inserting old bulbs). I'm getting no power to fuse or sockets. Is there something I'm missing ?

Silver04
09-10-09, 11:10 AM
^^Agree with previous posts...get out the test light and you will find your problem fairly quickly.

sk7
09-10-09, 04:13 PM
Her's the DRL wiring diagram:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/Escalade/DRL.gif

DRL can be disabled-enabled with the dome light overide button. Check in your owners manual, its like key on the 5 times on-off on the dome overide button and the BCM will chime to tell you if its enabled or not. That procedure worked on my 02, I had to enable DRL to pass Canadian inspection. Also, the park brake has to be off, and gear selector has to be outta park for the DRL's to come on. Keep us posted.

sfv41901
09-10-09, 06:38 PM
DRL can be disabled-enabled with the dome light overide button. Check in your owners manual, its like key on the 5 times on-off on the dome overide button and the BCM will chime to tell you if its enabled or not. That procedure worked on my 02, I had to enable DRL to pass Canadian inspection. Also, the park brake has to be off, and gear selector has to be outta park for the DRL's to come on. Keep us posted.

I have a 06 & the dome button will disable the DRL, but the next time I start the engine, they are back on. It does not keep themdisabled.

As far as the parking brake, that did change (forgot what year) where the DRLs will turn on once taken out of park. Doesnt matter if the parking park is set or not.

ewill3rd
09-10-09, 09:36 PM
To the OP, you have a (or both) bad socket(s).
If you look at the old bulbs you might see signs of overheating.
The socket contacts can either get burnt and have damage on them or from time/age and heat they can physically distort causing a poor connection.

You can buy service sockets.
Look here to find the AC Delco part number you need.
http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pi/wiring-connectors/gm/sockets/
You will have to visually identify the socket and match it or call an AC Delco supplier and tell them the application to have them look it up (or God forbid... the dealer!)

sonnybear47
01-13-10, 07:15 PM
Hey Ewell et al, :o

I don't know who and how many to thank!
My '03 EXT's DRL's would not work. I read everything, tried everything.
One of you suggested the plug recepticle may be faulty. By golly, :yup:that was it. I tried cleaning and then wiggling the light, surprise! I am so happy. :D
Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sonny

sonnybear47
01-13-10, 07:18 PM
That also goes for sk7. Thanks :yup:

ewill3rd
01-14-10, 09:29 AM
Glad to help, the older these get, the more I see.
Those suckers get hot with the lights burning all the time.

sk7
01-14-10, 09:55 AM
Glad to know its working! I'm planning on replacing the bulbs with LED eventually to reduce the heat inside there. My headlights are not OEM, I've had to rewire the plug to the low beam headlights on both sides, it was melted!