: Audio advice

docproctoo
07-20-09, 10:35 AM
I just bought a 2009 CTS with the BOSE 10 speaker system. The subwoofer is terrible, much worst than the one in my 2004 CTS. I am an audio enthusiast and have 2 very good systems at home. I expect my cars to sound as good. The factory "subwoofer" is a joke. Has anyone been successful in having it replaced with a good one? Would it be better to have a separate amp/box/ speaker combo? HELP! I HATE THIS SYSTEM!

Ralph

CadillacSTS42005
07-20-09, 08:57 PM
where are you located?
your best bet would be to yank the stock sub, grab an LOC and external amp and mount a free air sub and replace the stock one

docproctoo
07-21-09, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your response. I am located in Pittsburgh. I am discussing the options with a friend. We have consulted a few sound shops. Most seem to feel that there are no good free-air subs and we would be better off building a sub box and mounting a decent 10 inch with its own amp. All prices seem to be about $525. What free air sub do you recommend?

CadillacSTS42005
07-21-09, 07:41 PM
you know im glad i asked
you realize im in Cheswick PA which is maybe 20 mins from Pittsburgh
the ONLY audio shop id recommend is audio but expect to pay well for the work

i can probably do the install for you much cheaper if you like

as for the sub im not 100% on the size is it 8 or 10 inch?

kicker makes a great free air sub

docproctoo
07-23-09, 01:23 PM
Wow! What a coincidence. The sub, in the car is a 12 inch with a small magnet. It has its own power source. In addition to a new sub, I need an amp and wiring. Do you sell the items? In either case, talk to me about cost. I don't mind driving to Cheswick.

CadillacSTS42005
07-24-09, 10:22 AM
i used to work for bestbuy
i dont actually own a business or anything i just know these systems and how to install
if you buy all the parts i can do the install

ThumperPup
07-24-09, 11:31 AM
if i where you i would have Jason do the work hes a good guy
lives close to you and will also probalby let you watch as he does it so you can learn if you hav eto do it in a few years or replace somthing on another car like this
not shop will let you watch them becosue they dont want you to see how its doen

Jason did the instal on my factory navi in my seville and it rocks

SouthernCountry
07-24-09, 03:55 PM
where are you located?
your best bet would be to yank the stock sub, grab an LOC and external amp and mount a free air sub and replace the stock one

the Infinity Kappa Perfect works very well...I didn't even use an amp when I had it....

Don't mean to hi jack the thread but I have a question also. I just installed my indash screen yesterday. It doesn't the power to push my system as loud as I like. What kind of amp should I look for? Also would it be better for me to upgrade my factory speakers to the Kappas as I did with my last car? The Bose don't sound bad with my new setup but would it be worth it to upgrade is the question? I've been told that sometimes its recommended to keep the factory speakers in when you add subs but I've heard some horrible systems setup like that. Any ideas

CadillacSTS42005
07-24-09, 10:01 PM
what car are you upgrading
an 06 DTS?

SouthernCountry
07-24-09, 11:39 PM
what car are you upgrading
an 06 DTS?

yea..trying to look for some good options

CadillacSTS42005
07-25-09, 12:50 AM
the bose system in that car uses 1 ohm speak
replacing the speaks with Kappas (since they are 2 ohm) and using the stock amp will actually cut the power output in half (think 1 ohm provides 100 watts, 2 ohm = 50 watts, 4 ohm = 25 watts)

no one makes a 1 ohm speaker

if you want clearer, you will get that with replacing the bose paper speakers with the kappas but you will lose volume

SouthernCountry
07-25-09, 03:43 PM
the bose system in that car uses 1 ohm speak
replacing the speaks with Kappas (since they are 2 ohm) and using the stock amp will actually cut the power output in half (think 1 ohm provides 100 watts, 2 ohm = 50 watts, 4 ohm = 25 watts)

no one makes a 1 ohm speaker

if you want clearer, you will get that with replacing the bose paper speakers with the kappas but you will lose volume

I'm thinking of keeping the factory speakers and adding some Kickers as I did on my first Caddy... Right now tho I am trying to find an amp for my new stereo. It doesn't have the power to push the Bose at high volume. Starts getting static and fades out some speakers. The Kappas are up in the air for now. Would a 5 channel amp suffice. I don't need nuttin super fancy since I'm adding subs. I always turn the bass off on the speakers and let the sub do the work. I saw a 5 channel on Ebay. It's a refurb but seems to be just what I need. Gonna cost me $60 shipped. 700w rms. Don't know the specs for the Bose but I'm guessing thats more than enough.

I'm getting 2 12" CVX by Kicker. The last time I hooked up 2 L7's. Even with the capacitor it was affecting the power. What kind of battery should I get also.

CadillacSTS42005
07-26-09, 12:05 PM
wait
your hoping to power the stock bose speakers on an aftermarket amp?
did i get that right?

SouthernCountry
07-26-09, 07:34 PM
wait
your hoping to power the stock bose speakers on an aftermarket amp?
did i get that right?

I don't think I have the Bose unless that's standard for all pckgs of the DTS...I gotta do something tho....the stereo only pushes 240w..it's not pushing those factories at all

CadillacSTS42005
07-26-09, 07:44 PM
if you dont have bose thats even worse
do NOT power stock speakers on an aftermarket amp
period

SouthernCountry
07-26-09, 09:51 PM
looks like i will have to get the kappas anyway then