: Good Year Run Flat tires for the V

harrysstsv
07-19-09, 10:53 AM
Yesterday I received the Aug. 09 Road and Track magazin and great news,
the Good Year Excellence ROF tires on the new BMW 750 come in the same sizes (245/45 19 front and 275/40 19 rear) as the standard tires on our V`s.

Harry (Germany)

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-19-09, 12:36 PM
Ours are 18's in front is that a typo

Jpjr
07-19-09, 12:57 PM
Warning: Goodyear EMT supercar runflats (the performance runflat that you would assumingly want on a V) are the best performance runflat tire available, but the absolute worst wearing. They are almost not suitable for daily use based on my experience.

On my CTS-V I went through 2 pairs of EMT runflat tires in under 14k miles. That was with very little hard driving and normal conditions. The first set Goodyear covered half under warranty (they were after all OEM) but the second set I was screwed. The tires cost about $500 a piece installed so you do the math. They are also standard on various Lambos and Ferraris, where they belong when cost and 8 months of the year are not a concern.

harrysstsv
07-19-09, 01:01 PM
Ours are 18's in front is that a typo

Dan, you are right, I was acting too fast.
I have the 19`s V wheels on my XLR on front and rear and forgot my STS V got 18`s on front.
Also the front size is 255/45 18 on the STS V.

I was wrong:thepan:

Harry

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-19-09, 03:13 PM
No need ot beat yourself up.. I am happy to hear ANY new tire out there for us to choose from.

At least we don't have the Veyron's tire problem. They only last 15 minutes above 200 mph. Thats got to be a record in itself. Thats ok because a full tank of gas is gone in 12. Oh to have those problems!!!!

Jpjr
07-19-09, 08:26 PM
I actually like the Pirellis so far. They wear night and day better than the Goodyear's, and that may be an understatement. I'm almost to the point where I would run them again, but not quite there. After the V1 experience I was convinced that a spare + performance radial was the only way to go.

CIWS
07-20-09, 08:42 AM
The Pirellis wear "Ok", most seem to get around 15-20K out of them (certainly better than the F1 Supercar EMT). But as a tire, I'd call them average for their road performance, and that coupled with their cost made me switch to a non runflat.

I just finished with a set of GY F1 All Season tires and got about 18K out of them before the rears were at the wear bars. I'm now trying the newer Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus to see how they grip and wear. Just put on a couple of weeks ago.

dhemrick
07-20-09, 11:12 AM
The Pirellis wear "Ok", most seem to get around 15-20K out of them (certainly better than the F1 Supercar EMT). But as a tire, I'd call them average for their road performance, and that coupled with their cost made me switch to a non runflat.

I just finished with a set of GY F1 All Season tires and got about 18K out of them before the rears were at the wear bars. I'm now trying the newer Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus to see how they grip and wear. Just put on a couple of weeks ago.

CIWS, I went through the exact same sequence of tires with the same results you had. I just put a set of Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus tires on my STS-V about 2 months ago and have been VERY happy with them.

In my opinion, they are better by far than the Pirellis and the Goodyears. Very quiet and grip as good if not better than the Goodyears... and supposedly will last longer.

CIWS
07-20-09, 11:17 AM
In my opinion, they are better by far than the Pirellis and the Goodyears. Very quiet and grip as good if not better than the Goodyears... and supposedly will last longer.

Yeah I think they are a better tire (slightly more expensive), and grip seems better although I haven't put them to a real test yet as I'm trying to get them broken in first.

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-20-09, 04:03 PM
don't forget Bridgestone make the RE050 for our stock sizes now. Damn good performance tire.