: 94 FWB left quarter panel chrome moulding fell off!

SDCaddyLacky
07-19-09, 04:07 AM
I had a wild day today, while driving home from work, the left rear quarter panel chrome piece fell off the Caddy on the freeway!!!:mad: I couldn't believe it. I have never had a piece of trim fall off any car that I have owned. This was pretty disappointing.

I was able to find the piece off the freeway on some ice plants ( thank god!) but it is now scratched up and slightly dented from a car running it over :mad:

It's not in terrible shape, but it's not in good shape either. I realized that GM used some cheap weird pop on clips to hold the molding in place, why didn't they just install simple screws, and call it a day for god sakes? I was shock on how cheap these clips were, they actually broke off from vibration, and now I can't snap the molding back into place. My car looks so ghetto now, and am pissed.

I tried using trim adhesive, but that didn't work, since the bottom clips are also broke, so it wont stay put. I though about using some zip ties, but they're no holes on the molding where I can slip it through and attach it to the clips. I am going to use some super glue, which has always worked for me, it will be a temp fix, but eventually I am going to need a nice used molding with some clips on hand.

Can anybody lead me to a source where I can find replacement clips for the molding? And if possible does anyone have a spare one I could have? I really don't want to be driving around without the molding, it looks so bad and it's depressing knowing that people are probably laughing at my car, rather than admiring it. I will be willing to pay a fair price for it.

Thanks guys

Stingroo
07-19-09, 10:03 AM
It just like, fell off while you were driving? :S

How did you notice it fell? Did it make a sound or something on the pavement?

Edit: Pics of the clips may help

drmenard
07-19-09, 01:55 PM
I'm surprized that THEFLEETWOODGUY has not chimed in yet.. but he is the man who will help you.. he has these used parts and I'm sure will make you happy.. and as far as those clips being cheap.... the last time I got them from my caddy dealer they were $8 each... and I get a discount...

SDCaddyLacky
07-20-09, 04:29 AM
Well I am just going to take it to a body shop and have them drill some holes and screw in the molding as a bolt on application, because I honestly don't want this to ever happen again with clips breaking in all. Yes it literally flew off! I heard something tear apart, and sure enough I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the molding doing cart wheels!

Hopefully Fleetwood Guy will chime in, it would really help me out, I just need a good condition molding.

Thanks

thefleetwoodguy
07-20-09, 11:49 AM
I think have one, what side?

Stingroo
07-20-09, 12:28 PM
Left (at least the topic says).

I swear, you have every fleetwood part known to man. I am thoroughly convinced.

SDCaddyLacky
07-20-09, 02:56 PM
Haha, does he really! It is the left side, I went to a body shop today and they bolted on the molding, but they used too large of bolts, and it ruins the look of the trim now:nono:

I was planning on just installing some smaller chrome or silver screws temporarily to make it look better, until I can find a new molding then I will just use the clips for a complete flush look.

LadyVictoria
08-16-09, 05:57 PM
Well I am just going to take it to a body shop and have them drill some holes and screw in the molding as a bolt on application, because I honestly don't want this to ever happen again with clips breaking in all. Yes it literally flew off! I heard something tear apart, and sure enough I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the molding doing cart wheels!

Hopefully Fleetwood Guy will chime in, it would really help me out, I just need a good condition molding.

Thanks
I had to smile when I read this, because the same thing happened to me only I did not hear it come off. It was the right side and I noticed it was loose before I left and didn't check it good. :-( I need to find one. Maybe Superglue would work! ;-)

Barrister_07101
08-18-09, 11:13 PM
Mine just did the same thing... but I didn't see come off. I hate this situation.

64-04
08-19-09, 12:43 AM
I need the rear pass one please I will be very excited if I can cover the rib's that are showing on mine