: Heads up display

N*Caddy
07-18-09, 10:16 PM
This is just in the stage of "oh how I wish I had that" (same like my navigation project), but recently I checked a Deville with heads up display (and night vision). Well I am looking for somebody very familiar with this feature (my focus is heads up display - inside stuff).
So other than the obvious slot in the top front side of the dashboard (witch I have to think really hard before deciding to cut), and the fact that STS has the grille over there…what is this involving: data wires, power and VSS signal?
For some reason I was under the impression the heads up display is part of the IPC. Is an attached part that snaps on top of the IPC or is a completely integrated part of it?

I want to have this feature so much that I am willing to spent the money to buy one just to test if is possible to retrofit in a ’97 STS. What year it started any way?

OffThaHorseCEO
07-21-09, 05:13 PM
by heads up display do you mean the window reflection method or the kind that shows a "holographic" digital speedo inside of the cluster?

the night vision retrofit is very difficult and expensive according to most sources here.

if you can get the cluster to play well with your car, you should be able to get the HUD to play well too, since all it does is reiterate data that can be found in the DIC and gauges of the cluster. iirc theres a bonneville that also had a basic HUD. it was a digital speedometer that was projected onto the windshield and iirc also showed turn signals.

someone retrofitted it into something else. dont remember what though

N*Caddy
07-21-09, 07:57 PM
by heads up display do you mean the window reflection method or the kind that shows a "holographic" digital speedo inside of the cluster?

the night vision retrofit is very difficult and expensive according to most sources here.

if you can get the cluster to play well with your car, you should be able to get the HUD to play well too, since all it does is reiterate data that can be found in the DIC and gauges of the cluster. iirc theres a bonneville that also had a basic HUD. it was a digital speedometer that was projected onto the windshield and iirc also showed turn signals.

someone retrofitted it into something else. dont remember what though

MWOAAAAAAAAT!

Do you know the person or is there a link or something?
I think the one w/o Night vision was the first GEN. I read somewhere on Internet about GM switching to a more "complex" heads up display form the gen. I showing just the speed and the turning signal (it was about Cadillac – not specified year or model).
I would be happy with GENI too, night vision I believe (I mean it should) involve an IR camera too.
I can find many details on this heads up display. Was it ever an option in Seville ('98 and UP)?

mtflight
02-04-10, 08:01 PM
Hey N*Caddy. Not sure you are familiar with DaveSmed?

Check this post out http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/57835-junkyard-tech-2.html#post951262

eyekandyboats.inc
02-06-10, 12:54 AM
hey if you buy it and it turns out to be a failure.. i will take it off your hands. I was wanting to do a deal with some other guy on ther forum but i dont think her ever got back to me

97EldoCoupe
02-13-10, 03:31 PM
My dad just bought a 2001 DTS with night vision for $1750. The car is beautiful. Unfortunately he's not willing to part with the NV. It's going to be his daily driver soon as I can get the HG's done on it.

Hey Vasi? Guess what I just picked up earlier this week - a '97 Eldorado Touring Coupe - black on black - for $700. The body is great but needs some electrical work (abs codes and such). How is your NAV unit workin out for you? Any more parts that you could use off one of my cars? Whatever you need man- you know I'll do my best to help you out! :)

N*Caddy
02-14-10, 04:59 PM
Hey Jake,

March 1-st I am sent in a business tip for about 2 months in Mexico (close to Texas) so the car will rest for a while and so do my NAV project.
I was planing to come and see you one weekend when the weather is getting warmer. I need to install the BOSE in your Eldo (then red one – now I have to specify since you have 2 :bouncy:). I got all the stuff ready to go top you (I sent you an e-mail earlier).
So regarding the NAV progress, I ended up to the conclusion the no start issue is caused by the passkey II in my car. I assume the NAV unit expects a key ON message either from the Theft Deterrent Module or from PCM.
If is just the Theft Deterrent Module then all I need is the module and, and a key Reader/Exciter (part of the Ignition Module) along with a matching key (just the plastic part of the key where the chip and the coil is).
If is the PCM then… I guess I need a new PCM and matching engine. Believe me or not I am crazy enough to go this route.
In ‘96-’97 Seville, ‘96-’99 Deville and ’96 – ’02 Eldorado the Theft Deterrent system is based on the Passkey II. The IPC acts as a key validator. If the proper VAT is determined the IPC give the go ahead to the PCM to start the engine. Coincidentally none of these cars ever had NAV option.
In the ’98 – ‘03(4) Seville, ‘00-’05 Deville the Theft Deterrent system is based on PassKeyIII. The IPC has nothing to do with the key, instead there is a separate module (The Theft Deterrent Module) responsible with the key validation. This is done using a Reader/Exciter module attached to the ignition module. If the correct key is detected the module gives the go ahead to the PCM to start the engine.

Now the $5000 question… is the NAV unit looking for the key validation message from the Theft Deterrent Module (the same one sent for the PCM) or the PCM sends a message on the data bus that the correct key is in ignition and the engine is started. Definitely my PCM is not doing this in witch case I need a new PCM that does it. New PCM means new engine (different ignition system, Throttle body controls).

The IPC does sent a message to the PCM in my car once the correct VAT was detected but looks like is not the same as the one from the Theft Deterrent Module.
Now if is just a matter of this message just adding the Theft Deterrent Module and the Reader/Exciter and the Key taped on it will give me the PasskeyIII validation message to the data line when the ignition is turned ON. My PCM does not expect this message so it will be harmless, the NAV unit does expects the message and hopefully I get image on the screen. So I need a ’98 and up donor STS for this. That would be the best case scenario.

By the way, what ABS codes you have? I am sure I can fix all the electrical bugs (in 2 months and a half from now).