: Broken 2000 ETC antenna

hueterm
07-18-09, 09:14 PM
I do not want to replace the power antenna. I hate them.

Anyone know what the best replacement antenna would be? I have one of the appx. 12" rubber antennas on the Concours, and the AM reception sucks.

I wonder if something came loose, or if there is a better option. I'd prefer it not be a fixed long mast -- something small would be ideal...

CadillacSTS42005
07-18-09, 10:01 PM
typically a longer antenna will give better AM band while a shorter one gives better FM
swapping to any of those shorty antennas will require a loss in AM reception
if your looking to maintain that i would look into grabbing a standard GM non power antenna and rigging it up

N*Caddy
07-18-09, 10:27 PM
In case you decide to keep the power antenna (I would not replace-it for anything in the world) I have posted a How to repair tutorial (pictures included) in the Tech Tips section.

hueterm
07-18-09, 10:27 PM
So does the AM reception suck on those little shark fins, or do they have some add'l technology that improves the reception?

CadillacSTS42005
07-19-09, 08:15 AM
Shark Fins? like on the roofs of BMW?
those are for Sat radio
the radio antenna for the Beemer is like the 00+ Dev and 98+ Sev, its a grid on the rear glass

hueterm
07-19-09, 08:52 PM
In case you decide to keep the power antenna (I would not replace-it for anything in the world) I have posted a How to repair tutorial (pictures included) in the Tech Tips section.

THX, I'll check it out.

N*Caddy
07-19-09, 10:33 PM
Every morning driving to work I end up stuck behind some slow car driving in parallel with some truck blocking the passing lane. As if this will not be annoying enough I also have the “pleasure” to watch some wiggling antenna on that car. The cars are usually Mazda3, Toyota (any), Honda (whatever) and such, i.e. cheap cars. Look around and count how many cars have solid power mast. That is a luxury and vandal proof feature. Why would you want to have instead a piece of cheap wire in there?
Is the same with the passive struts, air ride, “performance” air intake, tropical colors spark plug wires, cheap aftermarket radios and rims, BMW headlights…

GizmoQ
07-19-09, 10:37 PM
Every morning driving to work I end up stuck behind some slow car driving in parallel with some truck blocking the passing lane. As if this will not be annoying enough I also have the “pleasure” to watch some wiggling antenna on that car. The cars are usually Mazda3, Toyota (any), Honda (whatever) and such, i.e. cheap cars. Look around and count how many cars have solid power mast. That is a luxury and vandal proof feature. Why would you want to have instead a piece of cheap wire in there?
Is the same with the passive struts, air ride, “performance” air intake, tropical colors spark plug wires, cheap aftermarket radios and rims, BMW headlights…

Missed your meds today, eh.

hueterm
07-20-09, 10:14 AM
What if you just want to replace the thing, and not rebuild it? I went onto gmpartsdirect.com and found the antenna, but it is sold in multiple parts. Do I just buy them all? (Except for maybe the bezel...) I have no idea what is wrong w/the thing...

CadillacSTS42005
07-20-09, 08:59 PM
imho id hit a bone yard for it

N*Caddy
07-20-09, 10:06 PM
^^^$20 is what I paid for the rotor and brushes. It was like new (the donnor antena was broken and sorrow looking but inside BRAND NEW)

hueterm
08-08-09, 09:05 AM
OK -- so I replaced the antenna module, after much hassle. Has anyone done this before?

The replacement kit has a long metal bracket that you bend 90 degrees to mount one screw at the bottom of the module, and one screw on the side. Previously, there were two screws mounted only on the side. I'm hoping that it will stay put. And that it won't leak......

I guess I'll have to check for water after the next big rain...I ran it through the car wash and didn't see anything...