: VHT Nite Shades

T-Giv
07-18-09, 09:50 PM
I recently smoked my tails using the VHT Nite Shades product that seems to be the thing that everyone uses. I realized after doing it that it wasn't quite the look I am going for. Does anyone have any experience with the product as far as the best way to remove it without damaging the plastic? Any help is greatly appreciated.

luxurylife33
07-18-09, 10:58 PM
You should have made a thread before you did this. I would have advised you against the VHT paint. However, if done right with light coats, it shouldn't be THAT bad. The correct way to tint light is to spray them with clearcoat with a few drops of black basecoat. If the paint hasn't cured yet, you might still be able to thin it off with laquer thinner. Just put on some gloves and soak a rag in the laquer thinner and rub the lights with the rag. If it has cured, you can try wetsanding and polishing the paint to make make it smoother.

visioncaddy
07-19-09, 02:41 PM
you can wet sand them with some 800 and 1000 grit paper lightly then spray them with clear coat ,they look alot better then the semi gloss of the night shades, thats how i did my gto, escalade , and my mercury

luxurylife33
07-19-09, 05:45 PM
yea that not a bad idea.... wetsand em with 1000 (600 is kinda rough and will show through clear) a bit and just clearcoat em

T-Giv
07-21-09, 02:01 AM
Well here is actually my plan. The lights were done months ago and I have just gotten tired of the orange peel type look. I tried wet sanding them and then clear coating them again but I am still not pleased. I'm going to completely remove the VHT and then take them to a body shop and have them painted. That's the best option by far. Hopefully I can get all the VHT off so I have a fresh pair of lights to start with.

luxurylife33
07-21-09, 02:31 AM
I dont know how your going to do that without damaging the plastic..... let us know how it works out for you

Dendensterz
07-21-09, 09:35 PM
Yup..You will damage the plastic for sure...I've ran in to this problem with my 1st attempt of tinting my bros lades lights..I used paint thinner and 800g sand paper and polished it with 2000g to remove it.(It was a biatch doin it)..You will see scracthes but it shouldny be that bad after laying some clear on it..just make sure u sand em real good with 800 and make em smooth and remove scratches by using 2000g ..lay some clear coat on it..and wax and buff it and it should come close to normal..I dont know what procedure you did when you used VHT but i've used VHT a couple of times now and they came out good just like how its done at the shop..You should try and do it over after u scrape the paint off..Thry these steps..

Sand down the Tail lights with 2000g sand paper
Lay some VHTnite shade to however dark you want it...
when it dries, Sand em down again to make surface smooth..
Lay some clear coat..(I suggest using U-POL clear 1 clear coat)
Let it dry..then wax n buff it..3 stage..and it should come out glossy and shiny..
You just gotta do it right and it should come out like a pro did it..
Good look if you attempt to do it again

T-Giv
07-24-09, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the input. Here's what happened, originally I smoked them and they looked money. No streaks or peel texture at all. However, they weren't dark enough for my liking so I tried to wet sand them again and add more VHT, that's when things got ugly.

Dendensterz
07-25-09, 01:24 PM
Did u buff them after? 3 stage buff should do it..make sure you clear coat 1st..