: In the market for a Certified V. Found one on Ebay

v6stanger
07-18-09, 07:44 PM
After owning a few Cadillacs with mixed success (Got to love the Northstar headgaskets and the tranny/converter codes lol) I'm back in the market for an STS-V. I fell in love with it after seeing one at the auto show in 2006. The only way I will purchase one is if it is Cadillac Certified 6yr/100k since I can only imagine how much replacement parts/labor are for these wonderful limited production beasts. I manage a car dealership and have dealer auction access 4-5 times per week and I've seen them floating around up there for some good prices but since this will be a personal vehicle I plan on keeping a few years I'm not rolling the dice to save a couple grand and am only buying from Cadillac dealer with warranty.

I've been hunting around the past 2 months. Seems like black is the most popular color but my fondness of keeping black looking clean 24/7 ended when I sold my grand national and syclone both of which I didnt have color choices lol. I really really want silver with the tango red interior but will settle for the silver/black interior combo.

I found one on ebay from Hendrick Cadillac in NC.

VIN: 1G6DX67D960176596

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-CERTIFIED-06-STS-V_W0QQitemZ390070130234QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_ Trucks?hash=item5ad1fdd63a&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A317

Viewing the carfax it looks to be one owner and was maintained by Lindsey Cadillac in VA which I've heard nothing but great things about.

How much would you guys pay? 38k miles is higher than what I wanted but its Cadillac certified and looks to be a no excuses car from the pics and video.

Not looking to make a race car out of it. Been down that road too many times. Just want a set of staggered 20's from Forgeline, HRE or one of the vendors on here, Corsa exhaust and a D3 air intake.

Let me know what you owners think!!

inurok
07-19-09, 02:56 AM
Sounds like the Cadillac Certification has been worked into the buy it now price?Personally i think all the pre-owned certified is just another sales gimmick to sell cars. They work the cost into the price of the cars so you are not really getting anything for free.

dhemrick
07-19-09, 11:07 AM
This dealership is literally 3 miles from my house and is the one that I use to service all of our Cadillacs, including my black STS-V with the tango red interior. I agree that the silver with tango red interior is beautiful, but I think that is a vary rare combination. I have only seen maybe one or two on eBay ever in that combo.

I took our STS4 in for service a couple of weeks ago and this STS-V was on the lot. Having seen it in person, it looks to be in very good shape, but I didn't drive it. I could go by and take it for a drive to see if it "seems" OK if you wanted.

My advice to you would be to call up the dealership and talk to someone in sales. According to one of the sales guys I talked to, Hendrick Cadillac is doing most of it's business selling used luxury cars right now so I think they'd be willing to work with you to make a sale.

If you do decide to get the car, let me know. I'd be happy to give you a ride from the airport since I work near there and live near the dealership.... and also because you have excellent taste in cars. :-)

Blades
07-19-09, 02:37 PM
Looks like the air intake elbow is slightly off kilter.. Right where it connects to that abs plastic-type y intake-pipe.

nlharter
07-19-09, 06:32 PM
That seems steep. I just bought an '07 with less miles for that. Maybe they will knock 3-4 g off and it will be a good deal. I think mine was listed close to 39k and I bought it for just over 35k.

v6stanger
07-20-09, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far guys. I agree the price seems steep hence why I have not clicked the buy it now and am currently just bidding.

I agree the certification is def priced into the car as I'm familiar with how all that works being in the car business for a few years now. But factory certified warranty is a pretty good piece of mind and the only way I will buy one of these used and many others so I wouldnt say its a "gimmick". Most aftermarket warranties are useless and never cover anything unless the moon, sun and stars align correctly that day and hoping the warranty rep got laid that morning haha.

Dhemrick: If you happen to be in there and its there again if they let you test drive that would be awesome having another V owner get me thier opinion before I drop this kind of cash. I appreciate the airport ride offer but I would hope if im buying a car from there that they'd have someone pick me up or a shuttle service. If not i might have to get your number lol

dhemrick
07-20-09, 08:51 PM
Dhemrick: If you happen to be in there and its there again if they let you test drive that would be awesome having another V owner get me thier opinion before I drop this kind of cash. I appreciate the airport ride offer but I would hope if im buying a car from there that they'd have someone pick me up or a shuttle service. If not i might have to get your number lol

I was actually just looking for an excuse to go drive it anyway since I have never driven another one besides mine. I have to take our STS4 in to get a switch replaced in the steering wheel anyway, so I can do it then.

I'll let you know my layman's opinion. :cool2:

dhemrick
07-21-09, 04:23 PM
Well, I stopped by Hendrick Cadillac and drove the car they have on eBay. I didn't see or feel anything obviously wrong with it. It drove exactly like my car which is an 06 and has about 40K miles on it. There are a few small rock chips in the paint, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 39K mile car. It was hot out and the AC cooled very well considering they had the car sitting in the sun with the sunroof shade open. They had also apparently detailed it because it was very clean and smelled good, but I did find a few places where they didn't quite buff the wax off.

All in all, I would say that the car is a good one.

Interestingly, they had another silver 06 STS-V on the lot with the light gray interior but only 22K miles. They are only "asking" $2K more for it and it is absolutely immaculate. It doesn't look like it was ever driven, but it does have the light gray interior.

I would still say you should be able to talk them down some, but at least if you bid on this car, in my opinion from driving it, it appears to be well maintained and doesn't have any obvious issues. I did look down the sides of the car and I didn't see any door dings either.

v6stanger
07-21-09, 08:49 PM
Talk about a great forum with great people! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day and checking it out for me. I am going to call them and see what I can work out. From the carfax I can tell it was bought at an dealer auction down there so Im going to try to do some homework and get the auction reports for down there and see if I can track down and see what they paid for it. I'd feel warm and fuzzy inside if I could get this under 30k dollars certified. It didnt even come close on ebay to what they wanted for the buy it now.

CIWS
07-21-09, 08:59 PM
Well, I stopped by Hendrick Cadillac and drove the car they have on eBay.

That was damned nice of you man. :thumbsup:

bobz74
07-21-09, 09:23 PM

WOW!! KARMA awaits you!!!

dhemrick
07-21-09, 09:49 PM
Thanks, guys. It was my pleasure... really it was. We V owners (and potential V owners) are a rare and tight knit bunch so I didn't mind doing it at all.

A couple of things I forgot to mention is that it appears to have OEM Pirelli tires that appear to be in decent shape. I did recommend to the salesman that the tires be balanced as I did feel a bit of a vibration in the steering wheel above 60. Nothing that a good balancing wouldn't take care of.

PM me if you decide to get the car or if you have any more questions. I'll be taking our STS4 over there on Friday morning anyway to get a couple of minor things done so I'll be there anyway.

Lord Cadillac
07-22-09, 10:54 AM
That was damned nice of you man. :thumbsup:
Yeah, too bad the reputation system was abused. This is what it was intended for...

CIWS
07-22-09, 11:17 AM
Yeah, too bad the reputation system was abused. This is what it was intended for...

It was a good idea Sal, but in any forum I've ever been in with it, that always get abused and quickly becomes worthless. The nature of the beast I guess. :)

Nothing stopping you with rewarding him with a month's Supporting Membership though. :D

:hide:

dhemrick
07-22-09, 01:20 PM
Thanks, guys. Actually, I did after FAR too long become a supporting member of this forum. I should have done it long ago. The wealth of information and advice on this forum has been great and I look forward to many more years of help, advice, and benefiting from the cumulative experience of this group... as well as contributing where I can.

MacMuse
07-22-09, 10:12 PM

Bloody Brilliant!!

If anyone needs a car test driven from the Heritage or Patrick dealerships in the Chicago area, I'm willing!!

silverws6ta
07-22-09, 10:19 PM

If anyone has any finds as far north as Charlotte, NC and far south as Columbia, SC I will be more than willing to give my expertise. I will be in Charleston, SC on business sometime in August so I can also cover that area; And will be in the Wytheville/Roanoke, VA (1 hour away from Wythe) for the last couple weeks of August (On the way up I will be through Statesville, Lake Norman, Mt. Airy, Huntersville, etc).. I am time flexible :crowded: -- probably be driving the SSEi since I like that mileage reimbursement @ .585/mile :) :bighead:

v6stanger
07-25-09, 07:21 PM
Well I called down there and couldnt agree on a number I felt comfortable with for the 38k miles so the search continues. Maybe its a sign to just wait for a tango red interior one to pop up so I can have exactly what I want lol. I'll be keeping my eye out once again. Maybe a low mileage 06-07 will pop up in the silver/black. I'd love to have an 08 for the HUD. I loved it on my old GTP.

Guys I really appreciate all your help. I'll certainly be posting back with any new finds!

freshchops
07-28-09, 11:37 PM
v6stanger: PM sent......