: Fuel Data Display, to Dead Space, to Idea.....

DopeStar 156
07-18-09, 05:41 PM
As we all know from 1981 to 1985 that little corner of the center dash had a little Fuel Data display looking like this.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1989%20Fleetwood%20Brougham/centerdash1.jpg

When the 307 debuted in these cars in 1986 our call for more engine power was "penalized" with this little black square. Guess we should kept our mouthes shut.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1989%20Fleetwood%20Brougham/centerdash5.jpg

So I thought since a Fuel Data display would be a hair shy of impossible to wire in and still work (even though the mounting holes for it are still there) I started wondering what I could do with that little spot to make it look better. I thought about gluing a little wreath and crest there but there's already a ton of those present in the interior. Then I thought about maybe a diagnostic display for OBDI codes wired into the diagnostic port, but who would want someone to get in their car and see that then ask, "What the hell? How often does this thing break down?" Cadillac blessed us with a speedometer and a fuel gauge to keep an eye on the essentials but also a slew of warning lights as if to say, "don't worry about it, we got this." With the increasing heat of the summer months in the air I had a thought, temperature gauge. A temperature gauge would be an essential to monitoring a 20 year old engine since at this age an overheat could be fatal. I decided to follow up with the idea browsing all kinds of aftermarket gauges but the looks just weren't right with the rest of the interior, but then I found the one.....

http://www.cyberdynegauges.net/guagepics/Amber/water.jpg

"Requires 2 1/16” hole for mounting with back clamp provided. Range is 70-260F. Features ‘Hi” and “Lo” scrolling warning and user adjustable “flashing” warning. Available with high and low memory recall feature. Requires temperature sender shipped with gauge."

The digital amber colored display would look right at home with the neighboring radio clock and Electronic Climate Control display. The thing requires a 2 1/16 inch hole to mount and that opening in the corner is about 2 3/16" wide and tall. I have an extra little black square that I could hack apart and not feel bad about so I figured I'd make it look as flush and OE as possible. The gauge is pretty simple to install too, one wire to a switched 12v, a second for a ground, one for night dimming which these cars don't do so forget that one, and one that goes to the included temp sender that goes under the hood. The sender might be a little bit of a project to install but I think I can handle it, it just needs a source of coolant to measure......

Now for the million dollar question. Where do you think I could get a measurable coolant source from to install this sender?

sven914
07-18-09, 06:54 PM
I was thinking about adding a coolant temp gauge to my car, but have lucked out on finding one that would match the other gauges, so if you please give me the link to the one you found.

I was thinking about using the same hole the factory coolant temp senor currently occupies. I've found no evidence in my OEM manual that the computer relies on it to change fuel trim numbers or affect the engine in anyway. It just turns a light on, to inform you that your vehicle has already began to overheat, your heads are blown, the block is cracked, and your engine is smocked.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-19-09, 12:57 AM
I would have gone for a digital tachometer in there.

greencadillacmatt
07-19-09, 05:10 AM
He He, I thought you meant Dead Space the video game. :p I think that the spot where the factory sensor is should work just fine.

Stingroo
07-19-09, 11:05 AM
I would have gone for a digital tachometer in there.

Agreed

drmenard
07-19-09, 12:50 PM
I used my spot for a air fuel ratio gauge thats works with my wide band O2 sensor...