: Pictures of Cadillacs @ Car Show

GenrlRodes
07-17-09, 11:24 PM
Hi all. I traveled to Iola, WI last weekend to their 'large' Car Show, Swap Meet and Sale. I believe about 100 acres of automobilia. There were over 2,500 cars in the show, of that over 30 were Cadillac of all eras. I am posting a few pictures of some of my favorites.

sven914
07-17-09, 11:43 PM
I love that late '40's to mid '50's body.

GenrlRodes
07-18-09, 12:21 AM
I have so many so called 'favorites' it is hard to decide which I like the best. 54-56 bodies, 58 Fleetwood, 59, 65-68, 75-76, 86-92 Brougham, 95-96 Brougham. I will admit that my least favorite Cadillacs are the 61 and 62 bodies. There is just something about them, I personally do not like. There was a beautiful blue toned 62 there that was presented nicely, and I can appreciate one, but just something turns me off with those two years.

sven914
07-18-09, 01:15 AM
Well if you compare the 61-62 Cadillacs to the 57-58 models, there is no comparison. The 57-58 Eldorado Brougham was the epitome of American luxury and automotive design; a feat which Cadillac has not yet surpassed. The 61-62 Cadillacs were overdressed Impalas, with tail-fins. They showed very little effort in their design, and their sales reflected this (268,619 car produced in 57-58 and 299,219 cars produced in 61-62).

perks
07-18-09, 01:26 AM
I agree re: the "overdressed Impalas" comment on the '61-'62 Caddy models. Especially the front ends, which just seemed too similar to, say, the '63-'64 Impala front ends. I know it's an unfair comparison, since if anything the Impalas followed the Cadillacs in design, but I can't help but get stuck on the similarities. I'm quite fond of the '59-'60 and '63-'64 models, but it seems they did go through a period of soul-searching in between as the designers fumbled around for something that worked.

As for the '65-'68 models...I really didn't like the stacked headlights, but they're slowly growing on me. Still can't bring myself to appreciate the early '70s models (though I'd take any pre-1979 Eldo!).

GenrlRodes
07-18-09, 01:40 AM
I guess I misspoke. I was not really comparing the 61-62 to any other model year. There isn't a comparison as you stated. I guess after the great styling of the late 50's with towering fins and chrome everywhere, people might have been ready for a change, and that is what came of it. Light looking cars, less chrome, and a sleek new look. They achieved it very well, as the production numbers show. I think the country changed with the cars, or the cars changed with the country. People were ready to embrace new everywhere. We see it not only in cars, but homes, clothes, hair styles, music, spending....etc...

I appreciate those cars when I come across a nice one, but they just don't do enought for me to want to buy one for in my garage.

GenrlRodes
07-18-09, 01:43 AM
As for the '65-'68 models...I really didn't like the stacked headlights, but they're slowly growing on me. Still can't bring myself to appreciate the early '70s models (though I'd take any pre-1979 Eldo!).

For years I did not like the stacked headlight design in this era. Somehow, in the past 7 years though, it too grew on me, that now it has become one of my favorite eras of Cadillacs. I love Cadillac in general, but the Fleetwood (60 Special, Brougham, etc) are my true loves. For the most part that is all I have owned, except for a brief stint with a 95 DeVille, and a 2 1/2 year ownership of a 99 DeVille.

Bro-Ham
07-18-09, 10:25 AM
Wow! Some nice looking cars! What a fun show - - which car did you drive there?

I love the 1958 Fleetwood too! A 1958 limousine or series 1958 Series 62 Convertible are also my favorites. I love the 1964 Fleetwood Sixty Special and I would love to have one as a daily driver. Some lucky person in my town drives a 1963 Eldorado Birarritz Convertible every day! My favorite Cadillac years are 1939-40 Fleetwood 75 series (Town Sedan, Formal Sedan, or Town Car), any 1958, 1961-64 Fleetwood 60 Special (especially 1964), I don't mind the 1967-68 Fleetwood, I LOVE the 1969 Fleetwood and don't mind the 1970, 1975 & 1976 deVilles/Fleetwood are super favorites, really love the 1977-79 Sedan deVille/Fleetwood Brougham since they were my obsessions in my youth, and I've always wanted to try a 1979 diesel Fleetwood Brougham. Factory Limousines from 1977-84 are all time favorites too. :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-18-09, 12:37 PM
Nice. This was the scene at the local cruise night last night.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/Car%20shows/IMG_0585.jpg

Dcarlson
07-18-09, 12:37 PM
Maybe i'm just too young, but I don't really have much of an attraction to anything caddillac made pre 65. Incidently my favourite looking caddis are 65-67 fleetwood coupes, and the 68-69 elderados. I also like the late 70's elderados too. I more partial to the 2 door giants. Someone older then me, tell me why the 50's cads were nicer? I'm curious! My least favourite cadds are the 61-64 cads, in that area.

Bro-Ham
07-18-09, 01:30 PM
It's a free country (as of this writing) so you can like, love, or hate what you like. Only you know what looks good to your eye. The world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same things. Sometimes, though, you'll find as you go through life that your tastes and interests will change. What you like today may be of no interest to you in the future. It's like learning to appreciate fine wine. Your first taste may be repulsive and when you try again at another time you may develop a curiosity and then you may try more and acquire a taste and then an appreciation and then an interest and then a desire and then an obsession. You just never know how life will unfold in front of you. That's how I see it at 41 years of age. I've learned that life is always subject to change and I'm excited for it! :)

perks
07-18-09, 02:09 PM
Yep, if everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be driving around in Honda Accords. Yawn!

Some stuff is definitely acquired. For many years, I hated coffee. I hated wine. I hated beer. I especially hated scotch. Now I don't know how I ever lived without the stuff. Particularly the scotch. :bonkers:

A person's style and taste are constantly evolving; if they're not, you aren't experiencing new things. Sometimes you need to immerse yourself in something to truly appreciate it. For example, I've always been an architecture fan, and I always wanted to live in a big old 1920s Spanish-styled house. For awhile, I lived in a 1926 Spanish revival fourplex and absolutely adored it--all the little details that you just don't find in today's homes were quite endearing. Then I set foot into a Cliff May house and decided I HAD to have a mid-century modern home instead. Now that I actually own a mid-century modern house that's full of glass and designed by a renowned architect. Today I can't even fathom how I'd have lived in an old Spanish house.

What do I like about the older Caddys?

Well, for one thing, they don't look like hardly anything that's on the road right now. They stood out when they were new, and they definitely stand out now. Cadillac has made excellent strides to re-establish a striking brand identity, but that was a lacking quality for quite some time. Compare that to, say, a 1995 Seville, which is a comparatively unremarkable design. (Don't get me wrong, they're good looking cars, but to the average person, they wouldn't exactly stand out among the crowd.)

For another, they're very solidly built. Not a single part on that car feels cheap, and the fact that my Caddy has lasted 45+ years on the original motor, tranny, and every other major mechanical AND cosmetic component speaks to its durability. I don't hold much hope for either of my daily drivers (both 2007 model cars) holding up that well after 20 years, let alone 45 years.

Third, while so many classic cars are really a pain in the butt to drive (an old roommate had a 1966 Volvo and a 60's model Toyota Land Cruiser, and they were absolutely horrible cars to ride around in), the old Caddys offer practically effortless motoring, especially considering their size and weight. Of course, the newer Caddys offered pillowed rides as well. But I bought my Caddy because, in general, I like Cadillacs, BUT I also like '50s-'60s cars.

Finally, I'm an attention whore, so there's the ogling factor: when you're in an older car, everyone wants to talk to you and say how neat the car is and how glad they are that someone's keeping that old car running, and that just feels good.

sven914
07-18-09, 02:46 PM
Maybe i'm just too young, but I don't really have much of an attraction to anything caddillac made pre 65. Someone older then me, tell me why the 50's cads were nicer? I'm curious! My least favourite cadds are the 61-64 cads, in that area.

I personally like the late '40's to '50's bodies because they had broad rounded lines and looked so much more massive, compared to any other year. After 58, Cadillac started with very square, strait edged cars, with defined points. They continued that trend, in their RWDs, for 33 years. The cars continued to get boxier, with each generation. I suppose I like '50's cars because they look so unique compared to later model Cadillacs.

csbuckn
07-19-09, 11:56 PM
my best...59 eldo. love at first site

GenrlRodes
07-20-09, 09:31 PM
That is a wonderful site...........I wish I could fina a cruise in like that here....
Nice. This was the scene at the local cruise night last night.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/Car%20shows/IMG_0585.jpg

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-21-09, 09:00 PM
2 more people showed up a little later with big body Caddies as well. It was a great night despite the rain.

CTSV OWNER
07-21-09, 10:37 PM
Oh so I guess that I'm one of the few with a love for the 72's Thats because my dad bought one brand new and I remember riding around in that two door monster. Since that 72 my dad has almost always had a Caddy in his driveway.

So for now my 2004 CTSV I bought new and my 1995 Fleetwood daily driver will do. I love the Fleetwood's style and fuel economy for it's size and ride.

There is a Cadillac cruise about 60 miles from home every wed night. I might just have to leave work early one day.
Dave

GenrlRodes
07-22-09, 01:19 AM
Where is this Cadillac Cruise. I'd take a day off work to cruise to something like that even if I have to go over a 100 miles. I could enjoy a day off...day in my cadillac, day with other caddy enthusiasts, a day looking at other Cadillacs.....that would be like heaven on earth for me!!!!!