: Key fob not recognized when pulling door handle?

K STS
07-17-09, 07:29 PM
Hi All,

I love the feature of keeping the STS keys in my pocket all day, and never taking them out to lock the car, unlock the car, or start the engine. For the last 2 months this has been great.

Although recently when I go to enter the car, I pull the handle and it never unlocks. I have to use the unlock button on the fob, which works fine. I even replaced the battery last weekend, to no avail. It seems to have gotten worse, to where it is now.

Any idea what the problem could be? I also bought another fob, but I dont know if that is the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

dhemrick
07-17-09, 08:45 PM
Did the other doors unlock or did nothing happen? Something similar happened on our STS4 and it was the door switch. Oddly, the other doors would open but not the driver's door.

pjbizjak
07-17-09, 08:51 PM
What about the passenger door or the trunk, if those work then it's probably the internal switch in the driver door and not a FOB problem.

WillySTS
07-17-09, 09:04 PM
What about the passenger door or the trunk, if those work then it's probably the internal switch in the driver door and not a FOB problem.

True to all of that, but usually it is the door handle. That is where the antenna is.

EChas3
07-17-09, 11:27 PM
Did you program Fob 2 & it behaves the same? The trunk question is a good one, too. If it behaves wrong with both Fob's, check the Valet Switch.

Unique Distributing
07-18-09, 04:34 AM
I have the same problems sometimes. I hear the doors unlocking and they all unlock except the drivers door. i have to go around the the passanger side and open the door fromt he inside. it sounds like it is unlocking but doesnt. ! drives me insane!

STE_6000
07-18-09, 01:01 PM
Check the battery? I know my started to fail when the battery was dieing.

K STS
07-19-09, 02:34 PM
Ok, I programmed fob 3 and here is what happens:

With either fob, both work for opening the trunk, and if i stand by the passenger door and pull on it, it unlocks all doors.

When standing by the drivers door, with either fob, and I pull on it, the red light on the door panel lights up, and no door unlocks.

Since I have two fobs, with 2 new batteries, this seems to be the module in the door is no longer working. Does this seem correct?

STE_6000
07-19-09, 04:48 PM
check the radio, make sure it didnt go back to the default of not opening without using the remote or key.

hackster
07-19-09, 08:54 PM
Hey it will be the door switch plate on the back side of the door handle, I have replaced many of these for that problem,

ewill3rd
07-19-09, 10:09 PM
The settings could be so that the door does not unlock with the handle pull, check that first.
The fact that the light comes on indicates that it sees the handle being pulled but there could still be an issue with the handle switch.

The doors on the front don't unlock per se... they either open or don't.
They don't have conventional locks, when you pull the handle the computer looks for the transmitter, if it sees it in range it opens the latch, if it does not it just sits there.
The rear doors have conventional locks and unlock the way you'd think.

Still a few things that could be at play here.

K STS
07-20-09, 02:17 PM
The settings could be so that the door does not unlock with the handle pull, check that first.
The fact that the light comes on indicates that it sees the handle being pulled but there could still be an issue with the handle switch.

The doors on the front don't unlock per se... they either open or don't.
They don't have conventional locks, when you pull the handle the computer looks for the transmitter, if it sees it in range it opens the latch, if it does not it just sits there.
The rear doors have conventional locks and unlock the way you'd think.

Still a few things that could be at play here.

When I have the fob in my pocket, and pull the door handle on drivers side, i get nothing but a red light.

If i walk over to the passenger side, with the fob in my pocket, and pull the door handle, both doors open and unlock.

ewill3rd
07-20-09, 09:55 PM
It does sound like an antenna issue. The driver door antenna is looking within a certain range before it opens the door, with the light coming on it indicates that it is seeing the door handle pull but not the transmitter.
I am a bit rusty on where that is, according to the manual the antennas are molded into the door handles themselves.
Could be a bad antenna or connection issue inside the door.

Got any warranty left?

K STS
07-21-09, 12:21 AM
yes sir, 10,000 more miles.

ewill3rd
07-21-09, 08:07 AM
If you have a good dealer close by, let them pull their hair out.
It probably needs a door handle.
I have replaced a few.

M.A.C
08-08-09, 11:21 PM
I second ewill3rd's suggestion to check to make sure someone didn't program the computer to not recognize the fob. I have a 2005 STS with navigation. If you press the 'CONFIGURE' button, then the 'VEHICLE' option, you will see on the right a button to program 'LOCKS'. I would check to see if the proper options are selected to allow doors to open when handle is pulled, etc. Be careful, because you can literally disarm the fob altogether in which case you will have to you the door key to get in. So read the options carefully.

K STS
08-09-09, 04:21 AM
As I have said, I think twice now, the passenger door unlocks all doors when I stand by it with the fob, but not the drivers side. This is a receiver in the door failure.

ewill3rd
08-09-09, 11:14 AM
I'm confused.
Is this fixed?

Loren
08-17-09, 04:21 PM
I had the same problem, the dealer replaced both door handles in June and everything works like it should now. I told them what the solution was and the technician insisted in checking it out himself, well 9 hours and two days later he agreed, it was the antenna in the handle.

bigdog9586
08-18-09, 05:08 PM
I had this problem for a while and replaced the battery but that didn't help. I put the remote in the console slot for a minute and started the car a couple times and I have had no more problems since. Why or if this worked I don't know, all I do know it hasn't happened again in over 2 months.

MathewSommers
08-18-09, 09:41 PM
I had the exact same problem, passenger side worked, trunk worked, driver side did not. It was even intermittent at one point, then went constant that the driver door would not unlock with a pull. Dealer said this was known, replaced the handle and had it painted, no problem after. I tried everything before the dealer to no end. Just take it in and be done with it.
-Matt

Michael 514
08-31-09, 02:35 AM
Hi guys!

For the first time, this problem occurred last week!

I pulled on the driver’s door handle, and I clearly heard all the doors unlock (so I know the key fob was detected), but the driver’s door remained locked.

I pulled it again.
Again, I heard the other locks pop open (rear door next to me, etc), but the driver’s door did not unlock.

Three times, then it was okay.

Hasn't happened since.

Car is still under warranty. I'll mention this to the dealer.

* oops! I just realized I'm in the STS forum! :) CTS owner here! I'll leave the post here anyways! *

skozzy
08-31-09, 10:22 AM
Well this is a fun one! I just picked up my 06 STS on thursday and noticed it has this issue. I dropped it off at he dealer this morning so hopefully they will fix it!

SleeprLegend
08-31-09, 06:03 PM
Mine had the same problem in 2007. My dealer fixed the problem at no cost since it was under warranty.

carmad8003
04-08-10, 04:49 PM
hi guys, my fob recently started not opening up my drivers door also. My passenger door opens perfectly fine when I approach the car with the fob in my pocket but my drivers door seems to not open at all, Only the red led light turns on but does not unlatch. Has anyone tried fixing this themselves or do i have to take it in to the dealer, recently ran out of warranty!. Trying to find a cheap fix. Thanks.

ewill3rd
04-08-10, 08:14 PM
It is a really difficult fix.
Usually the antenna in the handle goes bad and it can't tell where the fob is.
You have to replace the outside handle but it is tricky to disassemble the handle.
Almost as tricky to put it back together.

Loren
04-09-10, 12:53 PM
My 08 STS did the same thing. It was the antenna in the door handle, it'll have to be replaced and it's covered under the warranty.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/191312-keyless-entry-problem.html
If your dealers shop hasn't done this before they'll look at you like you are crazy when you tell them it's the door handle antenna.