: Polishing stainless trim while on the car . . .

Aron9000
07-17-09, 05:48 PM
So the stainless steel(I assume its stainless steel) trim on my 1991 looks like crap. Its hazed over and oxidized. I'm talking about the trim pieces that run up on the sides of the hood, then they run next to the bottom of the window.

This piece of trim:
http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!!fC)F8Q!WE~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw1zHMKBK(96kY5c!~~_4.JPG

How should I polish this piece? I want to do it on the car, but I know its very easy to use too much polish and make a mess with it sticking in the cracks next to the paint.

Any product recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

Also, is that wide band of trim that runs along the bottom of the car stainless steel as well?

sven914
07-17-09, 11:12 PM
I personally use a homemade polish on my chrome trim and gold emblems:

You mix one teaspoon of salt into one cup of white vinegar, and then add enough flour to make it into a past. Spread it on the chrome and let it sit for about an hour and then wash it off with HOT water and rub with a scouring pad for tough spots. The stuff is caustic so you have to make sure you get all of it off the paint (I haven't see it eat it but I would imagine there is a possibility if left there fore a few weeks).

To just quickly restore the shine to the chrome, gold, and even my wood grain I use some methyl alcohol, mixed with water and white vinegar. Basically I took half a jug of blue washer fluid, filled it with white vinegar, and put in an empty Windex bottle. You ever drive on the highway, during the day, and think your headlights are on because you see lights reflecting off the road signs as you drive by? I only started noticing this phenomenon after I started using both the polish and the spray mix (and I assure you, my headlights are not on).

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-18-09, 11:40 AM
It is chrome, not stainless steel. I use Eagle-One NeverDull chrome polish. It works great and is the easiest chrome polish I have ever used.

VortecCaddy
07-18-09, 03:17 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know how to remove the trim pieces in question? Mainly the trim on the doors.

creeker
07-18-09, 03:39 PM
''I have used windex before to clean all my chrome,does a good job,I then
protect it with a liquid coating of some kind, wax,polish.