: Poll: Got key?

tlac
07-16-09, 05:55 PM
Who only uses the keyfob, and leaves the physical key at home?

Inquiring minds want to know :):confused: I always have my key and keyfob with me.

Side question...is the nav disc set (E &W) v.4 much of an upgrade from v.2? If so, does anyone have a set that they want to sell for a reasonable price.

carter's_sts
07-16-09, 06:06 PM
I keep both with me, but in the pocket and and just leave it in there; very cool feature.

But if the battery goes in the FOB, you'll need the key to get in the car, I believe. You can start the car with a dead battery (in the FOB) by putting the FOB in that slot in the console. At least I think that's how things work.

Force-1
07-16-09, 06:38 PM
I carry both. If I have to leave the car with someone (car wash, valet, service, etc), I give them the fob and keep the key.

Saved me earlier this year. The Cadillac dealer locked the fob in my car just as I was about to leave in the rental car they gave me. I used the key to unlock the door and retrieve the fob.

BaTu
07-16-09, 07:54 PM
Just the fob in my back pocket.....

next2pool
07-16-09, 09:44 PM
I keep both in my pocket--no special reason but they stay together that way i guess. I do keep a fob without a battery hidden in the cars so if I ever do lose them I can have Onstar open the car and put the spare fob in the cubby hole.

CStradling24
07-16-09, 10:51 PM
I keep the FOB on my belt and never touch it. Car lock, and unlocks itself. I love it. I keep the key in the glovebox, why you ask? I have no idea....

MacMuse
07-17-09, 01:12 AM
Fob on a small keychain with my work key & grocery store discount tabs.

Car Key and several other keys in my backpack/briefcase which I have with me 80% of the time. Never used the key (in 5 months).

ewill3rd
07-17-09, 07:14 AM
Always carry the key, if the battery goes dead you are a sitting duck.
The new style transmitters have the key inside, that's handy. If the battery is dead and you have no key you are boned.

Often times if you bring the car to me for service and I have to do certain things to it I have to have the key so you are either making another trip or I have to cut one.
You don't need it to start the car but you really should have it with you at all times.

widmann@hotmail.com
07-17-09, 07:25 AM
I don't carry the key because i didn't think it had any value.. Can you start the car without the fob and only the key?

ewill3rd
07-17-09, 07:58 AM
No there is no way to start the car with just the key.
The issue is vehicle access. There is no way to enter the vehicle if the battery dies and you don't have a key.
It might be one time in a thousand or even ten thousand, but when is that going to be?

BaTu
07-17-09, 10:17 AM
I do keep a fob without a battery hidden in the cars so if I ever do lose them I can have Onstar open the car and put the spare fob in the cubby hole.

That's a clever idea! :thumbsup:

EChas3
07-17-09, 10:37 AM
I carry both. Twice, when shutting off the car at work I have seen the 'No Fob Present' message on the DIC even though the Fob was in my pocket. I think I'll keep carrying both - just in case.

I suspect that other cars' keyless systems or our building security can cause interference in my Fob's operation. (That's why FCC regs stipulate that such devices must accept interference from other sources.) Our business produces a lot of RFI and there are a fair number of sophisticated cars in the lot.

hazcaddy
07-17-09, 11:41 AM
Just how much RF interference will the CAR tolerate, though?

I was parked in a rented DTS outside the Rancho Mirage post office, waiting for my wife, when the owner of the Infinity M45 parked next to me came back to her car and hit the "unlock" on her fob. My doors immediately locked and I had a bitch of a time figuring out how to unlock them!

WillySTS
07-17-09, 12:37 PM
The wife and I both carry the fob and key on separatable key chains and only give the key fob to the valet. We have never had a need to use it. Plus we have Onstar too. I lube my key and stick it in the key cylinder once or twice a year just for maintenance and to make sure it works, but I do that on all my cars, since we are so dependent on remote lock/unlock these days.

next2pool
07-17-09, 01:38 PM
I did just discover a fly in the ointment regarding the thought of having Onstar open the vehicle for me. Apparently if the car has been sitting for over 48 hours, Onstar shuts off as part of the battery saver logic and can't open the doors remotely. That could be an issue if I come back from a flight or something and can't find my keys. Maybe I need a hidden key outside as well. I suspect it would be difficult for someone to dicover both the hidden key outside and the hidden fob inside. Somehow it all seems too complicated even if it would work :)

EChas3
07-17-09, 02:16 PM
Next2pool, unless you are away a long time, I think you will be fine. My 2006 recently sat 12 days and started just fine. Judging by the service record, the dealer performed all service and there's no replacement noted. So my battery is likely approaching 4 years old. I expect yours would be in similar condition unless you live in a hot climate.

next2pool
07-17-09, 02:32 PM
I agree on the battery life, but I stumbled across the Onstar issue in the Onstar guide that specifically states that Onstar itself disarms after 48 hours and cannot unlock remotely after that point.

EChas3
07-17-09, 04:14 PM
Wow. That kneecaps a truly valuable service. I can only imagine how angry someone would be to find that their loved ones were stranded at an airport and the expensive car and service didn't live up to the sales pitch. :banghead:

Personally, I wouldn't care because I won't leave a car at the airport for more than 2 days. At the cost of parking, one might as well hire a car & driver and keep their car in the garage. :alchi:

ewill3rd
07-17-09, 06:34 PM
The onstar module wakes up periodically to check for messages like unlock or horn requests.
It is true that after 48 hours it goes into a low power mode and will not wake up unless someone opens the car.

Unique Distributing
07-18-09, 03:32 AM
can someone tell me where the hidden place you can put your keyfob in the dash? i keep heading this but i have no idea

MacMuse
07-18-09, 09:01 AM
Center console/armrest, behind the power outlet. It's just a pocket that the fob slips into. Nothing special, it's just immediately adjacent to a sensor inside the console so it can pick up even the weakest signal coming from a fob with a nearly dead battery.

My dealer / saleswoman with 20+ years at this dealership, told me the pocket "recharges the fob". Wow, I almost called her out on that statement on the spot. The fob just contains a standard CR2032 button battery used in most little gadgets of this size, and
1 - it's not a rechargeable battery
2 - there are no electrical contacts inside this pocket that could deliver electricity for recharging
3 - The Force ain't real yet.

Lifer
07-18-09, 11:30 AM
I keep the FOB on my belt and never touch it. Car lock, and unlocks itself. I love it. I keep the key in the glovebox, why you ask? I have no idea....

Same. OnStar will unlock car - but if I lose the FOB, no key will start the car. Hmmm...

ewill3rd
07-18-09, 02:41 PM
There is a special antenna in there that will electromagnettically activate the transmitter even if the battery is dead.
It does not charge the battery, you are right.

MacMuse
07-18-09, 07:48 PM
There is a special antenna in there that will electromagnettically activate the transmitter even if the battery is dead.

Ahh, then I should retract my Force ain't real comment. :thumbsup: