: Wow, I can't believe what I just found!

stealthjr
07-16-09, 06:44 PM
First, I am a die hard GM guy through and through. Just when you think they have their shit together...stuff like this pops up! (I know every manufacturer has issues...but GEEZ this is scary!)

I pulled the car up on my lift to scope out the factory underside of my beauty and about shit a twinkie when I saw that one of the bolts on my passenger's side half shaft was backed all the way out!!! :nono: I sat there and stared at it for a moment...grabbed my flashlight for a better view...and sure enough. BLAM! All of the bolts holding on the half shaft are tight...all of the bolts have the blue inspection paint...well, all except one! :helpless: WTF??? It's like the Union Goon was tightening them all down and got to the last one when the "Break time" whistle sounded and he just walked away leaving the one last bolt literally hanging by a thread! :alchi:Obviously, I looked the rest of the car over like crazy and was thankful it was the only one. But is it?

In truth, I have to believe that even if that one bolt simply fell out and disappeared I may never know it with the rest of them in there nice and tight. But, what if it was something more critical that could cause some serious damage when I'm out road racing this thing?

Anyway, I'm just really disappointed is all. I took a picture with my camera phone for others to see but the size it too big to upload and I dont have a program to make it smaller. I can e-mail to someone if they want to do it.

I sure hope I'm the only one!!

See ya!

Robert

Silver -V-
07-16-09, 07:00 PM
Send me the photo, I might know a company that makes the re-sizing software you need. They might even have some free copies for the use of your lift and an inspectionof my car.

jwa999
07-16-09, 07:10 PM
Microsoft Photo Editor comes with Office.
You can resize to 800 pixels(max allowed by site), and save as jpg. (90% Quality)

stealthjr
07-16-09, 07:20 PM
Send me the photo, I might know a company that makes the re-sizing software you need. They might even have some free copies for the use of your lift and an inspectionof my car.

Too funny...I sent them to you! You just give me a 2 hour heads up for the lift so I can crank on the AC and get my garage chilled! :cool2:

Thanks!

Robert

stealthjr
07-16-09, 07:22 PM
Microsoft Photo Editor comes with Office.
You can resize to 800 pixels(max allowed by site), and save as jpg. (90% Quality)

Shhhhhhhh...if I did that, how would I get the free software Silver -V- is going to hook me up with? :lildevil:

See ya!

Robert

Silver -V-
07-16-09, 07:24 PM
Re-sized photos -

Angle 1-
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG00023-20090715-1239.jpg

Angle 2 -
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG00024-20090715-1239.jpg

wait4me
07-16-09, 07:53 PM
YOU TOO!!! I also had that one single bolt loose.

As well as others missing on the engine compartment.

Also another story i heard today, a shop that was doing the upper pulley swap on a car, found the plastic retaining/protection piece for the blower inside of it. It wasnt removed while being installed on the car! Im sure that shop will post some pictures of that soon.........

Ready2roll
07-16-09, 08:25 PM
:bonkers:

Looks like I'm going to have to pull my new V up on my lift and check it out.

stealthjr
07-16-09, 08:43 PM
YOU TOO!!! I also had that one single bolt loose.

As well as others missing on the engine compartment.

Also another story i heard today, a shop that was doing the upper pulley swap on a car, found the plastic retaining/protection piece for the blower inside of it. It wasnt removed while being installed on the car! Im sure that shop will post some pictures of that soon.........

Uhhh ohhh, I'm starting to see a pattern here! :helpless:

Any V's that are willing to drive to Flower Mound, TX. are welcome to put their car up on my lift for a visual inspection!!!

See ya!

Robert

OldDrummer55
07-16-09, 09:25 PM
It's always heart warming to see documented examples of the UAW minion earning their outrageous wages... :helpless:

vperl
07-16-09, 11:51 PM
It's always heart warming to see documented examples of the UAW minion earning their outrageous wages... :helpless:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Noticed you still have that '64 . Good luck with that, pretty soon it's gunna cost you a bundle to keep it running. Happy trails.

OldDrummer55
07-17-09, 12:00 AM
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Noticed you still have that '64 . Good luck with that, pretty soon it's gunna cost you a bundle to keep it running. Happy trails.

My 64 is 10 years younger than me, so I expect to break down first... ;)

vperl
07-17-09, 12:37 AM
Had a '56 and it was nothing but trouble, kept wanting more attention and service than I could handle.
Left it in the shop .

Gotham CTS-V
07-17-09, 09:54 AM
Scary...

Hawkeye2
07-17-09, 10:44 AM
I'll have to check mine this weekend. I knew those Raceramps would come in handy!

Mutlu
07-17-09, 03:48 PM
It's not just Cadillac......BMW, Mercedes and other do it too. I had ordered a 2002 BMW M3 back in late 2001 and when the car arrived the rear bumper was not aligned among other things. It's not just GM.....

stealthjr
07-17-09, 05:28 PM
Yes, I did acknowledge in my first post that I realized this was not just a GM/Cadillac thing. It doesn't make me feel any better seeing a loose bolt on one of my half shafts the day before I'm getting ready to take the car road racing! Then, to hear others claim similar and worse things...is just plain :eek:

See ya!

Robert

Cashmoola
07-18-09, 02:58 AM
The tooling used on an operation like that is hooked up to a large computer system that counts the number of screws, bolts, etc....the operator runs down on a particular job. If that half-shaft called for, let's say, 6 bolts to be tightened and only 5 were done the operator and/or his team-leader/repairman would be notified before it left his immediate work area and the problem would be fixed. In some cases, if a particular job element isn't completed "in the work station" the entire line is programmed to shut down. This gets a lot of attention and the problem is most definitely fixed....and NOW!!
More likely, your bolt was backed-out for some type of inspection or repair AFTER it left the assembly line and even possibly at the dealership.

stealthjr
07-18-09, 09:59 AM
The tooling used on an operation like that is hooked up to a large computer system that counts the number of screws, bolts, etc....the operator runs down on a particular job. If that half-shaft called for, let's say, 6 bolts to be tightened and only 5 were done the operator and/or his team-leader/repairman would be notified before it left his immediate work area and the problem would be fixed. In some cases, if a particular job element isn't completed "in the work station" the entire line is programmed to shut down. This gets a lot of attention and the problem is most definitely fixed....and NOW!!
More likely, your bolt was backed-out for some type of inspection or repair AFTER it left the assembly line and even possibly at the dealership.

Everything your saying seems logical. However, maybe you can explain to my why there is no blue paint on the bolt or the half-shaft? If it was done CORRECTLY on the assembly line...it would be marked like the rest of parts right?

See ya!

Robert