: Balanced Wheels; Found Two Bent Wheels

stevenriz
07-16-09, 03:31 PM
All, started getting a slight steering wheel shimmey at 70mph thought I better balance the wheels. They found two bent wheels on the right side and offered to fix at $250 per wheel. I was shown the wheels and yes they are ever so slightly bent on the inside. Could normal driving cause this? Although I bought the car at 15k miles, I just put on 10k more and don't recall ever hitting any pot holes. What do you all suggest I do? Four completely after market wheels possibly? But I like the Caddy wheels actually... UGH Another $80 out of my weekly bar money...

next2pool
07-16-09, 03:50 PM
I have no clue on how they may have gotten bent, but I often see various STS wheels on ebay or craig's list for much less than what it apparently will cost to straighten them. I suppose it could be a gamble that they are straight but it's a thought.

MacMuse
07-16-09, 04:39 PM
I cracked one on a Chicago pothole a couple months ago and ended up putting a 3rd party wheel on since it was a Friday night and I couldn't find a Caddy wheel (and/or an open service center) in Chicago. 30 years of driving - that's the first wheel damage I've ever experienced.

As a follow-up question... is there anything unique about the STS that would mean a generic wheel/tire company like NTB wouldn't be able to to a good 4-wheel alignment?

WillySTS
07-17-09, 01:35 PM
All, started getting a slight steering wheel shimmey at 70mph thought I better balance the wheels. They found two bent wheels on the right side and offered to fix at $250 per wheel. I was shown the wheels and yes they are ever so slightly bent on the inside. Could normal driving cause this? ...
We see it all the time, usually on the inside rim.:hmm:

DTS_BOI
07-19-09, 05:33 AM
I just bent two of my STS wheels on potholes. DO NOT PAY $250 to fix the wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From HOURS of researching when I bent mine I discovered that you can find brand new STS chome wheels online for $250. I found a place in Michigan where I live that had many STS wheels brand new for $250 bucks. I then found a wheel and rim ship in my city that fixes wheels. They fixed both my wheels for 150 each. They fix painted wheels for 80 bucks but since mine are polished, they costed a little more.

Ebay has STS wheels for $250 as well as craigslist. I would look for a wheel repair shop in your city. They are very common and probably your cheapest route.

BTW - The wheel repair shop I used fixes thousands of whels each week. The manager at the shop says he fixes many many STS wheels and that the 05 and newer STS wheels are the softest wheels Cadillac has made in years. He told me that they crack and bend extremely easily. PM me if you need any more info. I literally just had this problem weeks ago and did a lot of research before deciding to get my wheels fixed....

stevenriz
07-20-09, 07:15 AM
thanks everyone! I would LOVE to find the same wheel chromed but in the short term, I will look for a local shop where I live. I won't pay the 250 to have them straightened and I will also look on ebay. the balancing did seem to work although at 70mph or so I get the same vibration/shimmy but not as much as before. then after increasing the speed to 75 and higher, smooth as can be. nevertheless I want to fix them or replace them.

Thanks again for all the superb suggestions.