: 94 SLS cd error/ install new hu?

jibberlo
07-16-09, 10:39 AM
i just bought a 1994 SLS and a cd is stuck in the cd player. i was wondering if anyone knew if i were to replace the factory hu with a aftermarket one if i would have to remove the bose speakers wires and run new wire to each speaker. i searched and i see that bose has a amp for the speakers and you cant tap into the speaker wires, i guess? how do i even remove the stock hu unit? my 95 jeep grand cheroke had a factory amp for the door speakers and i was able to replace them with aftermarket speakers without running new wires, but im lost on the caddy, i dont want to start wiring up a new hu and new speakers and have nothing work. is there a write up on what i would need to put a aftermarket hu in the 94? also my 98 camaro has a 12 disc cd changer in it, is there a way to hook that up to the caddy?

jibberlo
07-17-09, 12:44 AM
no help? someone has to know some thing.

jibberlo
07-18-09, 11:58 AM
would this be what i need to use so i don't have to run new speaker wire?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701857/Metra-GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

N*Caddy
07-18-09, 06:10 PM
Your 94 SLS if equipped with BOSE has 4 speakers (2 in the front doors and 2 on the rear shelf). Each speaker has it’s OWN amplifier (located in the speaker enclosure for the front doors and behind the speaker for the rears). Now these amplifiers need to be powered that power has to be controlled by something. Currently is controlled via 2 relays commanded by the RIM (located near the power antenna). That RIM communicates with your HU to know when to power the amps, what is the volume level etc… Remove the HU, the RIM has no more master so there is nobody to tell when to power the amps what is the volume level to be sent to the amps etc, thus you will have NO sound. Basically the RIM is USLES without the OEM HU. You can remove-it too just to save weight. Now you have to run a control wire from your aftermarket stuff to the relays, that wire should have power when your HU is ON. Then you have to jump the wires in the RIM connector so the input from the aftermarket to be connected to where the RIM outputs use to be so you can sent the audio signal directly from the aftermarket to the amps (basically you jump together on the RIM connector the pins that use to be the RIM input with the ones that use to be the RIM outputs). Then you connect the wire controlling the relays (coming from the aftermarket) to the pin that was the RIM relay control. At the aftermarket end just connect the sound wires to the same wires the OEM was connected. And you have your aftermarket sound sent to the speakers, the RIM is bypassed and the volume control is done in the aftermarket, while the only wire you have to run is the relay control wire from the aftermarket to the RIM connector. Other than that you need a HU female connector (probably like the one in your link) plus a RIM male connector (so you bypass the RIM, is also similar with the one from the HU but I am almost sure not the same).
You might not be so happy with the sound quality (nothing beats the OEM BOSE), but all you need is just one 10 feet long 18 AWG wire an aftermarket HU and 2 connectors. Off course you can always save yourself the trouble and just get a replacement OEM HU (plug and play – no Theftlock until ‘98).

CadillacSTS42005
07-18-09, 09:26 PM
your not far from me
if you want help with the install let me know

jibberlo
07-21-09, 12:29 PM
the only problem with my oem headunit is there's a cd stuck in it, how can i pull the headunit out, i dont want to just start pulling at the dash and mess stuff up. if i could just get the cd out then i would rather keep the oem unit, i just want to be able to play cd's, and maybe two 12's.

thank you, N*Caddy and Cadillacsts2003 for the help.

Cadillacsts2003, your 98 z28 have any mods done to it?

CadillacSTS42005
07-21-09, 02:30 PM
we can do anything you like if you wanna bring it round and ill help you

Z28
PS Headers/Y
Magnaflow Cat Back
1LE Sway Bars
SLP Lid
Hypertech Tune
Hotcam

jibberlo
07-21-09, 09:52 PM
how's that hot cam working for you, is the hot cam a 218/224. i just had my motor stroked over the winter, im running a FM-14 cam with a 150 shot of dry, 3600 yank stall, 4.10 gear on the stock 10 bolt till i get the 9" for her. when i get around to messin with the caddy i will let you know, i been to busy with work and my z, the #3 cam bearing disided to pull out and ride on my cam lope, so now i have my ls1 ripped apart plus i pulling the interior to put in my cage. by the time i get my z back together the track will be closed.

CadillacSTS42005
07-21-09, 10:18 PM
standard GM hotcam
was gonna get an ASA but i didnt wanna go that harsh yet
shes an auto so anything more ill need a stall as well and just dont have the funds to go that deep yet
right now mine has a NASTY lifter tick so i gotta pull the heads and upgrade to some LS7 lifters...

how come i never see you at the LS1Tech meets up at Pgh Mills?

jibberlo
07-22-09, 09:24 AM
i never knew there was a ls1 meet in pgh, im on ls1tech broad as rob scott. hell here in fayette county there's only 3 or 4 ls1's counting mine. i only drove my z28 for 103 miles this year and the way it looks she wont be getting anymore miles till next spring.