: Electrical Problems with Car

rabid
07-21-04, 07:25 AM
Well, I haven't encountered anything major like some on this board. But I noticed several weeks ago when I was playing a DVD movie (parked) that when I tried to adjust the volume, it would not change. I kept turning the knob louder and louder, but nothing. Then, about 5 minutes later, the volume got so loud it felt and sounded like the speakers were going to blow.

On the way to work this morning, I pressed and held the Traction button (to turn off stability and traction control), and again, nothing happened; the message did not display asking me to confirm my choice. I tried just pressing the button twice to go into competition mode, but nothing. The traction light on the gauge cluster lit up fine though. Again, aprrox. 5 minutes later, the system "caught up" and scrolled through all the selections I made with the traction button. Finally, the welcome message popped up; I "OK'd" it, and the entire system shut off. The car still ran fine, as I was in the middle of driving it, and all I had to do was turn the unit back on. Once back on, the the traction settings and everything else worked like normal.

As on now, I do not plan to take the car to the dealer. This is 2 problems in a 1 month period. I will take it in if it gets worse.

I was just curious to see if anyone else has noticed this and had/has this problem.

Innocent Bystander
07-21-04, 09:35 AM
Sounds like the problem is isolated to the Radio. If you said the Traction Light on the cluster works fine, that tells me the button presses on the steering wheel are being interpreted correctly. The "lazy" volume and display messages are both on the radio display. The dealer'll probably reprogram/replace the radio.

rabid
07-21-04, 09:50 PM
That's what I figured. I'd like to get it fixed, but I am hesitant to get a new unit; I have so much crap programmed into mine now.

Rich H
07-21-04, 10:56 PM
You mentioned this was the second problem. What was the first? Sounds like an intermittent computer control lock-up. Have you had a reflash?

rabid
07-22-04, 07:39 AM
You mentioned this was the second problem. What was the first? Sounds like an intermittent computer control lock-up. Have you had a reflash?

The first problem was with the volume knob not adjusting the volume. It would just keep turning without making a difference in the volume. A few minutes later, the volume would "catch up" to the adjusting I had done and get extremely loud.

I have not had any reflash yet. I think I will talk to the dealer to see what they have to say.

Thanks.