: Where are all the STS's?

EcSTSatic
07-15-09, 04:07 PM
We just got back from a 1500 mile road trip. I saw CTS after CTS but not a single newer STS. My wife wants to replace her '99 STS someday - she thinks with a slightly used STS. Is there something wrong with them? Where are they hiding?

Jesda
07-15-09, 04:40 PM
They're everywhere here in St Louis. Popular choice for conservative people who want Cadillac luxury and technology without the boldness of a CTS.

Playdrv4me
07-15-09, 05:02 PM
We just got back from a 1500 mile road trip. I saw CTS after CTS but not a single newer STS. My wife wants to replace her '99 STS someday - she thinks with a slightly used STS. Is there something wrong with them? Where are they hiding?

Small niggling issues but so far nothing major with them. The V6s are bulletproof especially.

Jesda
07-15-09, 07:51 PM
The RWD Northstars have proven to be plenty reliable.

<- STS moderator.

Playdrv4me
07-15-09, 08:37 PM
Depending on what year you're looking at, I'd only move up to the V8 if you absolutely must have the many top end features you can't get on the V6 (HID lights, HUD, Dynamic Cruise etc) or need AWD given the price difference on the used market. Otherwise, the V6 is the engine option I'd choose as I've driven both and did not feel a huge difference between them. (May I also state that 3.6L V6 is one of Cadillac's best) I believe later on you could get more equipment in the six cylinder including the AWD system.

I'm moving this to the appropriate section for the STS Moderator.

next2pool
07-15-09, 09:46 PM
The 2005+ STS was a good but not great car when introduced and never had any serious problems. However, it was barely competitive in 2005 and has been shamelously neglected since then. It hasn't been a sales success either but luckilly the depressed resale values make it a great value on the used car market.

mik2718
07-15-09, 09:47 PM
Well, a 2009 V8 STS parked next to me at lunch today. Nice car. In fact, that's what I was looking to buy until I drove a CTS-V.

carter's_sts
07-15-09, 10:24 PM
I think the main reason you see more CTSs out there is they are about $10,000 cheaper.

Jesda
07-16-09, 01:57 AM
i'm moving to this to the appropriate section for the sts moderator.

thanks bro!

gust_1980
07-16-09, 04:43 AM
good point. ive been shopping for a used sts now for a while and can never find one. heck, out of all the dealerships ive been to in the northern l.a. area, ive only found 2! by the looks of the dealerships, the only two cars they make are cts and escalade. its ridiculous!

CIWS
07-16-09, 09:13 AM
The STS simply doesn't sell in the numbers the other models do, part of the reason Cadillac is ending the line (and DTS) to build a single replacement for both. Nothing really wrong with them, it's just a numbers question.

My local dealerships have several of various builds.

Maybe part of the reason you don't find many pre-owned cars is because the owners are generally happy with it. :yup:

TulsaVic
07-16-09, 01:58 PM
Maybe it's the time of day you're looking. I use to think I was the only Cadillac owner in town--don't see any, save one or two CTS's on the commute to work. Then took a day off and drove to the mall in the middle of the day. Apparently Papa uses the 6 year old Chevy truck to get to work and Mama gets the Caddy for the hair appointments and shopping.....

tlac
07-16-09, 02:20 PM
You have to think about the fact that the STS is the Cadillac flagship. I used to have a lexus ES, which is in the class as a CTS. THe LS was more in line with the STS. I saw ES's everywhere, but the LS was a rare find. I think if someone has the kind of money to throw at a new STS, they just go ahead and buy an Escalade for the greater utility value. Anyway, up here in WI/IL there are plenty of STS's for sale of lease from MI, that has me stumped?

K STS
07-16-09, 03:14 PM
$10,000 more? try twice as much.

c5 rv
07-16-09, 04:42 PM
Anyway, up here in WI/IL there are plenty of STS's for sale of lease from MI, that has me stumped?

The STS was a fairly popular lease vehicle for GMS-eligible folks in the past due to heavy incentives and inflated residual values. Reality has hit home, though.

MacMuse
07-16-09, 05:32 PM
Anyway, up here in WI/IL there are plenty of STS's for sale of lease from MI, that has me stumped?

And I'm driving one. My '06 STS that I bought in Feb from a Chicagoland Cadillac dealer spent its first 2+ years in Michigan. The Nav system had a couple stored map entries in Dearborn.

My biggest problem now is I've got to stop racking up the miles. 12K in just 5 months. But it's such a joy to drive... :thumbsup:

carter's_sts
07-16-09, 06:28 PM
Just looked up the most basic models for 2009, new, on KBB.com:

STS - $45,763

CTS - $35,703

I'd say that's pretty darn close to 10K difference.

fps_dean
07-17-09, 01:13 AM

About slightly over $10,00 more comparing base model to base model is correct. Used prices are very close to each other however!

I don't see many STS's on the road; I do see a few CTS's, however I live in a very depressed area as well.

widmann@hotmail.com
07-17-09, 08:42 AM
This is probably not a surprise, but they (sts) are about as common as the CTS in New Jersey.

K STS
07-17-09, 10:16 AM
There arent any STS out here. And if your taking about comparison, the sticker on my CTS was about $28,000, while the sticker on my STS is closer to $57,000. Thats almost twice as much.

EChas3
07-17-09, 12:24 PM
Where are all the STS's? We got two!

New ones are overpriced at sticker. My 1SG AWD sticker was over $66k. It's a very nice car but not worth that.

It was coming off a three year lease, and in December I paid a third of sticker (which I found in the glovebox). The included CPO gave me a warranty that's competitive with the original owner's (4 years/50,000 miles), since it added 2 years & 50,000 miles to that. Part of the negotiation of including the CPO was my purchase of an extra year of Zurich coverage. All told, I am very pleased with the deal and the car. (Although I really admire K-STS's paint!)

My wife bought her 1SE (a Hertz car with less than 12,000 miles) 15 months ago at roughly half of the sticker price. Her car sat on a lot because people are scared of a rental. It may be a risk, but they are well maintained and can be a great deal. (My wife needed to replace her '98 STS fast and loves a sale price!)

I shopped long & hard and was very tempted by a demo 2009 1SG under $47k. It had about 10,000 dealer miles. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't jump on it. I wouldn't have been any happier and $25k is a lot of cash in today's economy. What's a 'new' 1SG going for today?

K STS
07-17-09, 01:28 PM
Thanks Echas. The only thing I miss about 1SG is 3.42 carrier (which I will be installing,) and cooled seats. Oh and magnetic ride.

WillySTS
07-17-09, 01:46 PM
STS's and V's are out there, because they come into the dealer everyday, and on the road we don't see a lot of them but we see them here in LA, but STS-V's we don't see. I was driving my pickup one day on the freeway and I saw a Thunder Gray STS-V coming on the opposite side and thought ..."I finally saw another STS-V"(outside of our dealership), and as it passed...I saw it was my wife, driving my own car. So, I have never seen one on the road...yet... in 2 1/2 years.

K STS
07-17-09, 05:50 PM
In downtown Cleveland, on the biggest nightclub street in the city, I saw a STS-V player parked valet.

inurok
07-23-09, 07:45 AM
I see a fair amount of STSs around here and i live in the middle of nowhere but I have not seen another STS-V just CTS-Vs

D_Lac
07-23-09, 09:30 AM
I do see the CTS more frequently but I see a lot of STSs in Iowa, Illinois, Flordia. I for one don't really like the CTS, its to tight on the inside and I'm still not sure about the way it looks. I must admit also that I didn't like the new STS either before 2008, the 05 model really turned me off of Cadillac and I was going to go to Mercedes or BMW, the 08 STS though brought me back home.

KARL DAHLEN
07-23-09, 12:58 PM
I do see the CTS more frequently but I see a lot of STSs in Iowa, Illinois, Flordia. I for one don't really like the CTS, its to tight on the inside and I'm still not sure about the way it looks. I must admit also that I didn't like the new STS either before 2008, the 05 model really turned me off of Cadillac and I was going to go to Mercedes or BMW, the 08 STS though brought me back home.

My sentiments exactly. Thats why I drive a 2008 STS!

inurok
07-23-09, 02:08 PM

Cool those taped on fender vents sealed the deal huh? :lildevil:

KARL DAHLEN
07-23-09, 02:39 PM

NO but the grill and the 3.6L DI V6 did.

KARL DAHLEN
07-23-09, 03:42 PM

NO but the grill and the 3.6L DI V6 did.

OlManRivah
07-23-09, 03:53 PM
Well girls.....We just traded our 1997 Eldo in for a 06 STS-4. We really loved that Eldo with the Northstar, but, I have to say this STS is a great car.

inurok
07-23-09, 04:17 PM
Well girls.....We just traded our 1997 Eldo in for a 06 STS-4. We really loved that Eldo with the Northstar, but, I have to say this STS is a great car.

Good choice ma'am

EChas3
07-23-09, 04:30 PM
Enjoy!

MacMuse
08-27-09, 10:51 AM
I found them!

The STS's that is.

Driving to work today, alternate route #5 - dang Chicagoland road construction.

I change lanes and find myself directly behind a White STS V8 - hey! that's what I'm driving. It's raining and he must need new tires, so I zip around him and find myself directly behind a White V6 STS. Sweet!!

Kicking myself for not grabbing my camera phone while at a light. I could have got all three of us in one shot.

z06bigbird
08-27-09, 11:08 AM
I have seen millions of ads for the CTS--lots of red ads.

Never seen any ad for an STS.

JGarten
08-27-09, 07:28 PM
According to some (early 2009?) sales figures I saw somewhere on this site, CTS outsold STS 20 to 1. That's a pretty big gap. I live/work next to/in the wealthiest county in Tennesee and there are *hordes* of BMWs (love the 7 series), Mercedes (S Class!), Cadillacs, Jaguars, Chrysler 300Cs (one of the few great cars they've ever made - I've got one), Lexus...you name it, you can spot'em here! Even a couple of Bentlys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and other exotics from time to time (tame drivers - what a shame). Nissan's headquarters are next door so encounters with a GTR happen occasionally(driven by old, fat, slow Japanese execs - another shame - but fun to "smoke" - you know, I don't think they even know you're doing it?!) I got my used, 40k miles, loaded 2005 STS 1SF V8 (every option except HUD and ACC) complete with 100k CPO warranty from a *clueless* stealership for $17k! It's my wife's car (she was sold at "red") but I take it out a flog it once or twice a month to keep it healthy...N*s really need it. My daily driver is the 300C - more brute force, more comfortable seats/ride but does not handle as well as the STS and not as luxurious. Nice to have both worlds to choose from...

crazychevelleman
08-28-09, 02:08 AM
I found this 06 STS V.....cough....cough...6 in my garage. :gg:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj109/crazychevelleman/06caddy2.jpg

Here she is with her red shoes on...hehehe

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj109/crazychevelleman/P8140003.jpg

corvette00
08-28-09, 10:05 AM
Part of the reason for the lack of STS's is GM really dropped the ball for programs in 08 (ala Eldo senario). I think the STS would still be selling if it had programs like the CTS. I am thinking of selling my 07 1SG and really do not want to go to a CTS.

ryannel2003
08-28-09, 10:18 AM
There are a ton of STS's around here. Part of that is because my dealership sells a ton of CPO units. Right now we have a '08 Gold Mist V8, '09 Blue Diamond V6, a fully loaded '07 STS AWD, and a '09 STS V6 in Crystal Red. Great cars! I plan on replacing my '00 STS with a newer STS within the next few years.

DBeaSST
08-28-09, 11:14 AM
I rarely see current STS's around here. I do see the Seville STS's pretty regularly including one woman in a white one that's always dirty. :nono:

I see CTS's fairly often though.

OlManRivah
08-28-09, 01:28 PM
I don't want a car that I see everywhere. I want one that sticks out in the crowd. The only vehicle I've ever owned that you see everywhere is my Jeep Wrangler. Every other car has been a classic. Not that the Jeep isn't a classic, but, they're very popular around here. That's why I have an STS-4. A Classic!:worship:

SlickCityStan
08-28-09, 10:01 PM
That's precisely why I didn't buy a Chrysler 300C! they are everywhere! everybody has one. I can see in a 20 minute drive what seems like 20 300's, I might see an average of 1or 2 STS's every other day.