: Pioneer Avic F90BT Install in 2005 ESV Platinum

ponicg
07-15-09, 11:30 AM
So, over the weekend I install a Pioneer Avic F90BT in my Lade, removing the factory Nav. I wanted to do a writeup for all the people who are semi-technically inclined(like me), but who hopefully aren't functionally retarded(like I felt after this project took far too long). I'll try to post pics if I can, but I didn't take any during my install.

First things first: I purchased the following:

F90BT headunit itself(Double DIN)
GEX-P10HD unit for HD Radio.
Factory Antenna to Pioneer Antenna Adapter
Metra GMOS-04 Adapter(for keeping factory chimes and ease of wiring)
PAC SWI-PS Adapter(for steering wheel controls)
Double DIN GM Truck install kit(came from the seller(sonicelectronix.com) free)

1. So first I removed the dashboard bezel. This is pretty easy. Park your truck (hopefully on a flat surface) Put the truck into 1st gear. Apply the emergency brake before you take your foot off the brake. Tilt the steering wheel all the way down. Grab the edges of the bezel and pull (don't worry if this feels stuck, there are metal pins holding it in. It's sturdy enough) It'll pop out from the base. Once you've got it out, you'll see that the cowl going into the gauge cluster is holding it in. Pull it as far out as you can, then tilt it back and pull up. This giant plastic cowl will pop out of the gauge cluster. At this point you can place it someplace safe and put the car in park and remove the keys.

2. Now I'd go unhook the battery. I neglected this step, and I've been thoroughly berated for being retarded. Live power + poking into the guts of your stereo area = bad.

3. Unscrew the factory head unit. I think this was a 9/32 socket, but I could be wrong. Mine is all mangled to hell, but it's the right one, so :) 3 screws(well, bolts) is all it takes. The factory head unit just slides out at this point, and you can remove the two plugs in the back. Important note: Even if the antenna wire SEEMS stuck, it isn't. Keep pulling. Don't make the retard mistake I did and cut it...

4. Now comes the fun part: Wiring the radio to the GMOS-04. The GMOS is a pretty solidly built unit with a pretty good directions. Just follow the directions. Most wires match in color, but a few are different, so be sure to read them and you'll be fine. It's pretty easy to attach multiple wires to the same lead from the GMOS, like power or ground. Just strip a bit of wire by sliding the insulation back (thereby exposing the wire underneath), anywhere on the length of wire coming from the GMOS, then wrap the radio's exposed wire around that exposed wire, and electrical tape them together. Simple and efficient. One thing I learned was to do a section of closely grouped wires(either from the GMOS-04 or the radio) then tape that bundle of 10 or so wires together. When I say tape together I mean wrap their entire length completely in tape. This is going to use a TON of electrical tape, but it'll definitely make the later stages easier(tons of wires taped together = easier to shove out of the way without breaking a connection or a single wire).

5. Next I screwed on the side panels that came with my install kit and added the front panel to mount it flush to the bezel. This may take a few tries, and if you have a universal style kit, you'll need to remove some plastic as well. This was pretty easy though, overall.

6. Once you've wired the GMOS-04 to the radio, the rest is simple. Plug your antenna adapter in and plug it into the radio. This part I screwed up too. I only have one antenna cable and two spots that need antenna. This is because while the GEX-P10HD does AM/FM/HD it DOESN'T control the MSN Direct Nav Traffic as you'd expect. Your actual F90BT needs an FM antenna to make this part work. I've ordered a splitter and will let you guys know how that part goes. At this point you should have the stereo wired to the GMOS-04 and the various antennas plugged in. I ran the bluetooth mic wire out the left side of my dash, under my steering wheel, through my fuse area and up the A pillar to that little area where the A pillar separates into two pieces. I ran my GPS antenna the opposite way, through the glove box, and up the opposite side. Then I tucked it into the top portion of the windshield->headliner connector and mounted it just right of center on the top of the windshield. I can't notice it when driving. Lastly I left the USB cable in the glove box, although on review, I'll probably move this to the center console eventually.

7. Now I plugged the GMOS-04 into the plugs coming from inside the dash, screwed it on, and put my dashboard back on(reversing the steps I used to remove it). That's it! Simple and easy! Everything works flawlessly except the MSN Direct, which I can correct with a Y-Cable for Antennas(splitter).

8. Mind you, I haven't done the PAC SWI-PS for steering wheel controls install. I didn't do this because I couldn't figure out where the light green wire for pin 31 is. Apparently this comes off the right side of the steering column, so this weekend when I have time I'll install that.

Some notes:
*It's a tight fit behind the radio. Make sure you tape a bunch of wires together so they are more easily stuffed out of the way, otherwise it isn't all going to fit.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I'll get some pictures posted this weekend.

Dendensterz
07-16-09, 02:49 AM
Nice write up man and good choice of HU..I also have the same, I like this HU because you can mod it. Only problem with this is the bluetooth sumtimes doesn't connect other than that its perfect for me..Oh yeah, I hope you got the one with the 2.0 firware

ponicg
07-16-09, 07:57 AM
Nice write up man and good choice of HU..I also have the same, I like this HU because you can mod it. Only problem with this is the bluetooth sumtimes doesn't connect other than that its perfect for me..Oh yeah, I hope you got the one with the 2.0 firware

Thanks! Take a look at avic411.com. They've got a copy of the 3.0 update from the X series that makes it WAY faster, although it still has iGo 8.0 (like ours does). The new FULL 3.0 update that's coming out will have iGo 8.3 and all the additions of the new X series.

pcguy760
07-17-09, 02:55 AM
Yeah I can't wait for the correct firmware to come out and make it faster - the unit is great but takes soooo long to start up!

ponicg
07-17-09, 03:38 PM
Yeah I can't wait for the correct firmware to come out and make it faster - the unit is great but takes soooo long to start up!

To be honest, I don't mind the startup time that much. What irks me is the double button presses on changing presets and the fact that no matter what I do, the stupid thing CONTINUES to go back to defautl zoom level, no matter how much i beat on it not to.

Ghost Deany
07-17-09, 07:42 PM
im assuming this is the same for the pioneer avic d3? i have the stock navi in my 04, but im starting to want my sound a little louder, and possibly throw my 12" sub in the back. in my 05 cts, putting the pioneer in was pretty complicated and a pain in the ass to wire, but it seems like the escalade is a lot simpler.

fst96se
09-22-09, 04:39 PM
Were you able to retain functionality of your RSE dual flip down monitors after installing your Pioneer F90BT?

I am pondering purchasing a F900BT and also have an 05 ESV Platinum, and do NOT want to lose those rear monitors! In fact, I would like to connect them to the pioneer (in both directions.)

Let me know!

jagwam
09-22-09, 07:51 PM
Thanks for posting your experience with the installation. I am in a similiar position of changing out my radio on an 03 EXT. Why did you choose the Pioneer F90BT over some of the other brands like Kenwood and Alpine? I heard mixed reviews due to the time it takes to startup.

ponicg
09-22-09, 11:49 PM
As far as the RSE, it has video out which could go into the video in on your RSE, but I haven't hooked that up yet.

It does take a few minutes to startup. I chose the F90BT because it was flash based, hackable(avic411.com ftw!) and one of my key reasons: IT HAD A VOLUME KNOB. I'm sorry, I know this is a Lade, but my truck bounces around like a hyperactive kid in a trampoline castle... I can't imagine hitting those stupid 1/8" tall buttons on the bottom of the top end Alpines and Kenwoods and Pioneers! :)

fst96se
09-23-09, 12:51 AM
:)
As far as the RSE, it has video out which could go into the video in on your RSE, but I haven't hooked that up yet.

Okay, to clarify then.... Does the RSE still work? Are you able to use it? :)

THAT is critical piece of info #1!

fst96se
09-23-09, 10:37 AM
I am sitting waiting to pull the trigger on an F90BT or F900BT on ebay, but I NEED THIS ONE PIECE OF INFO! Will the RSE still work if I have an aftermarket head unit??? :)

jagwam
09-23-09, 05:09 PM
Thanks, it looks like you will receive good support from the avic forum. I will more than likely go for the Eclipse AVN726E. I read some great reviews and it has very nice features like RSE and 5 volt outs. For the guy above, go to the AVIC forum. I am sure some will give you the answer fast.

jagwam
09-23-09, 05:20 PM
I did a little digging regarding RSE and from what I am told, the existing factory RSE will not work with an after market head unit. Someone may have circumvented a work around but not to my knowledge. Let me know if you find out that it is possible. Good luck.

ponicg
09-23-09, 05:24 PM
Again, I haven't hooked up the F90BT to my RSE, BUUUUUUUUT I have hooked up a PS3 to it using the RCA inputs. That being said, there's no reason you couldn't go RCA out from the F90BT to the RSE.

fst96se
09-23-09, 08:24 PM
Again, I haven't hooked up the F90BT to my RSE, BUUUUUUUUT I have hooked up a PS3 to it using the RCA inputs. That being said, there's no reason you couldn't go RCA out from the F90BT to the RSE.

Great, so you are still able to use the RSE even though you now have the F90BT installed? If so, that is great news. I will look into connecting the Pioneer to the RSE Inputs in the future, and vice versa, but for now it is good to know that I can still use the RSE!

Thanks again!

fst96se
09-23-09, 08:27 PM
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I'll get some pictures posted this weekend.

On this note, do you happen to have any pics of the unit installed? That'd give me a good idea of what it would look like in my car since our interiors are identical.

Thanks!

bpc87
10-05-09, 07:06 PM
im looking at either the pioneer AVIC-Z110BT or the Alpine IVA-W505/PL now both of them are like the pioneer you are talking about here now is that my cd dvd player and navigation all in one or is that just my navigation and i have to buy something else for my dvd cd player