: Question about swapping stereos.

jmf1964
07-15-09, 06:51 AM
Hi,
I have a 2004 Deville it has the base stereo system in it, no bose with the single cd player and an oem cd changer in the glove box.
My question is can I swap this stereo for one that has the cd and cassette player on it and still have full functionality.

I want to use a portable mp3 player via a cassette adaptor, I just want to make sure everything is going to work properly before I start buying stereos.

Thanks,
John

still_walkin
07-15-09, 02:11 PM
I hear constantly when you change out stereos in the early 90s devilles you lose your factory chimes and such but in yours I belive yours is wired to the cars anti theft so you might rewire it into the trunk some where . Let someone else chime in on this and you might get lucky and get some more tips I had no problem when I changed out mine in my 86 deville

jmf1964
07-15-09, 03:06 PM
I would be swapping one factory stereo for another, the stereo with the cassette deck is an oem unit also out of an 04 deville.

still_walkin
07-24-09, 12:54 AM
You shouldn't have a problem if the harness connections are the same. Some devilles have the same harness with every three years or so

N*Caddy
07-24-09, 08:45 PM
Hi,
I have a 2004 Deville it has the base stereo system in it, no bose with the single cd player and an oem cd changer in the glove box.
My question is can I swap this stereo for one that has the cd and cassette player on it and still have full functionality.

I want to use a portable mp3 player via a cassette adaptor, I just want to make sure everything is going to work properly before I start buying stereos.

Thanks,
John

The In-Dash CD stereos are BOSE, that is a TOTALLY different system! They might look the same but that’s just about it. BOSE has an extra module in the trunk called RIM. That is in fact your sound system. The BOSE HU is just an interface between you and that box in the back. You have to change EVERYTHING as far as sound system is concerning except steering wheel controls and antenna (I am talking HU, speakers, totally rewire the audio system).
So can’t be done by just swapping the stereo or buying some “miracle” adapter harness. If somebody sell one report-it is a crook. Is very deceiving, the HU looks almost the same even the connectors are identical (in shape) but I repeat IS NOT THE SAME BY FAR (we are talking Neptune and Earth here).
You need AUX input (hard wired) can be done if you have good soldering skills, costs less than $10 and I posted ALL details you need see my AUX input threads.