: The Cadillac Fleetwood Is Not Gone Forever

Lord Cadillac
07-14-09, 04:11 PM
For anyone who dislikes the "alphabet soup" names we've got these days (CTS, SRX, DTS, XLR, STS), I just wanted to let everyone know that we ALMOST had another "Fleetwood". A special edition variant of the DT7 was under consideration to be named "Fleetwood" as a compromise to those who disdain the alphanumerics. Unfortunately, the DT7 (STS/DTS replacement) was canceled. This does mean, however, that the name "Fleetwood" may come back again at some point in the future...

Aron9000
07-14-09, 04:18 PM
As much as I love the name, it really has too much baggage attached to it. You say Cadillac Fleetwood to somebody, and they instantly recall this:

http://caddyclub.tripod.com/75fb.jpg

Its a name that should stay dead with the levithan cars it was affixed to.

Lord Cadillac
07-14-09, 04:20 PM
As much as I love the name, it really has too much baggage attached to it. You say Cadillac Fleetwood to somebody, and they instantly recall this:

Image hosted by Tripod......

MT-ED
07-14-09, 07:08 PM
Does that mean it's a three-wheeler Cadillac?

Martin.

DopeStar 156
07-14-09, 08:54 PM
So this XTS is dead?

sven914
07-14-09, 09:31 PM
I agree, the only way a new car could ever be able to carry the Fleetwood name would be if they put it on the same chassis as the Escalade and gave it tail fins.

Aron9000
07-14-09, 10:28 PM
Here is the picture I was trying to post

http://elviscadillacs.tripod.com/drnick.jpg

sven914
07-15-09, 12:16 AM
I suppose the top three cars I think of when the word Fleetwood is mentioned are:

First Generation (1949) Sixty Special Fleetwood

http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/cad1940/1949/49Cad60Fleetwood.jpg

Second Generation (1958) Fleetwood Sixty Special
http://www.mywvhome.com/web/cars/1958_Cadillac_Fleetwood_Sixty_Special.jpg

Fourth Generation (1976) Fleetwood Talisman (Brougham)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/3593876732_ca2c85e2ce.jpg

Stingroo
07-15-09, 12:36 AM
I think most people will think of the last generation ones when they think Fleetwood. Honestly, that reminds me of one of my all-time favorite cars (and I am lucky to own one). I would be interested in seeing what they attached it to next. But unfortunately, alphanumeric names seem to be all the rage now.

Knowing our luck it'd be a Cadillac FBLTS or something

(Fleetwood Brougham Luxury Touring Sedan)

Yes. I was kidding. lol

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-15-09, 01:46 AM
I think most people will think of the last generation ones when they think Fleetwood. Honestly, that reminds me of one of my all-time favorite cars (and I am lucky to own one). I would be interested in seeing what they attached it to next. But unfortunately, alphanumeric names seem to be all the rage now.

Actually, most people are not aware that Cadillac made a last gen Fleetwood that was actually aerodynamic. They were only made for four years and 90% of people out there cannot tell the difference between the last gen Fleetwood and the mid 90's DeVille that was designed after it. Most people think of the giant box that I drive since they made them for 14 years (1978-1992, with improvements and minor styling changes along the way).

robb257731
07-15-09, 08:35 AM
That 58 is phenomenal. I'd drive it in a heartbeat.
I was always disappointed that they rebadged the Fleetwood as the Brougham in 1990. As a teenager I always wanted a Fleetwood with the big box body. They should have just left it the Fleetwood Brougham.

jey
07-15-09, 10:27 AM
Actually, most people are not aware that Cadillac made a last gen Fleetwood that was actually aerodynamic. They were only made for four years and 90% of people out there cannot tell the difference between the last gen Fleetwood and the mid 90's DeVille that was designed after it.

Yeah my wife can't tell the difference between the Fleetwood and DeVille and we own the car. The fact that the Fleetwood was a trim level of the Deville from 85-93 doesn't help that confusion.

ryannel2003
07-15-09, 10:36 AM
I suppose the top three cars I think of when the word Fleetwood is mentioned are:

Second Generation (1958) Fleetwood Sixty Special
http://www.mywvhome.com/web/cars/1958_Cadillac_Fleetwood_Sixty_Special.jpg

I've got a picture of that exact car on my wall above my bed. But when I think Fleetwood, I do tend to think of the older cars, and not so much the last generation models. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if Cadillac brings the name back soon.

Lord Cadillac
07-15-09, 10:46 AM
So this XTS is dead?

No. The XTS (XT7) is not the STS/DTS replacement (DT7). The DT7 was canceled - not the XT7...

Here is the picture I was trying to post

http://elviscadillacs.tripod.com/drnick.jpg

I still get the Tripod image. I hate Tripod.

DopeStar 156
07-15-09, 01:43 PM
No. The XTS (XT7) is not the STS/DTS replacement (DT7). The DT7 was canceled - not the XT7...

I'm a little confused.... I thought the XTS was supposed to be a fullsize RWD/AWD car to replace the DTS/STS. What the hell is/was the DT7?

I think if there was gonna be an acronym based name for such a car it would be something along the lines of "FLS," F-series Luxury Sedan, because you know they're not gonna claim any kind of outright association with the name "Fleetwood" on anything modern, but you and I will know where that "F" came from. I for one hope it looks like the Sixteen concept. Looooooong hood, big grille, tall thin vertical taillamps that had a slight protrusion to suggest tails and chrome exhaust framing at the bottom of the tails. Perfect.....

If you haven't noticed their current designs, they all mirror little cues from the Sixteen, especially the narrower head and taillamps, grille design, and the introduction of fender vents, it's about time they just build the damn thing with a reasonably sized V8 engine and a name that suits their going trends......

Stingroo
07-15-09, 02:27 PM
Yeah, like the new CTS has the EXACT same nose. When I saw it under covers on the internet, I could have sworn it was the same car, just smaller.

God, the Sixteen was sexy. lol

DopeStar 156
07-16-09, 10:04 PM
Yeah, like the new CTS has the EXACT same nose. When I saw it under covers on the internet, I could have sworn it was the same car, just smaller.

God, the Sixteen was sexy. lol

I know dude, I would want a production Sixteen no matter what the hell they wanna call it. It could be called the FARTS and I'd still want it......

Stingroo
07-17-09, 12:02 AM
Seriously. Even if they have to chop the hood a little and put a V8 and call it the Eight.

I don't care. It was so gorgeous. :( That car is the only reason I bought Midnight Club 3 for my PS2 like 4 years ago.

DopeStar 156
07-17-09, 10:45 PM
Seriously. Even if they have to chop the hood a little and put a V8 and call it the Eight.

I don't care. It was so gorgeous. :( That car is the only reason I bought Midnight Club 3 for my PS2 like 4 years ago.

It's in a game?! Holy shit does it just come in first place without trying? Hahahaha. I'll have to try and find a copy......

Stingroo
07-18-09, 12:12 AM
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition has it. You unlock it by winning all of the other Luxury class races. Truly a fitting prize. It's the fastest car in its class, if I remember right.

Fun game too. lol

ssstealth
07-21-09, 11:18 PM
I saw it a few months back at a dealership... thay had me going for a while but it was only there for show...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/sixteen/P1010119.jpg

It also does a cameo appearance in the Adam Sandler movie "Click".

sven914
07-21-09, 11:54 PM
You ever watch those science-fiction movies that depict the United States, in the year 2040, as a perfect utopia with one singular problem that becomes the entire plot of the movie? You ever watch the cars; how they move seamlessly between lanes at 200mph, drive up 90 degree walls, or pilot themselves through incomprehensible mazes of urban sprawl? You ever notice how shapeless they always seem; they alway blend into their surroundings and to the other cars on the road, yet they stand out, perfectly, only when being driven by the star of the movie? You ever say, "That will never happen?"

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/sixteen/P1010119.jpg

Aron9000
07-22-09, 12:10 AM
I want a Lamborghini flavored Cadillac:worship::worship::worship:

Stingroo
07-22-09, 01:14 AM
The Cien and Sixteen are both gorgeous cars.

Too bad the Cien would need a new name.. or a reeeally long wait. Then again, Doscientos doesn't have a ring to it for a car name anyway.

codewize
07-22-09, 08:35 AM
I think if you guys feel that way about the word Fleetwood then you shouldn't be driving Cadillacs. Just the name alone, says it all and the cars themselves are the flagship of the Cadillac line.

The Fleetwood was always the top of the line most luxurious Cadillac available, especially with the Brougham package. Fleetwood is what Cadillac is all about.

Obviously you've never owned one and you have no appreciation for true pure luxury.

sven914
07-22-09, 01:38 PM
^ Did he just rip us a new one?!^

rp0420
07-23-09, 12:23 PM

WTF??? There are right hand drive caddys?I thot maybe a mirrored image, but the plate isnt backwards.

Stingroo
07-23-09, 05:14 PM
It could be a conversion.

But then again, a lot of GM cars do come RHD. Not too long ago there was a RHD 4th gen Camaro near me. I wanted it. :(

sven914
07-23-09, 09:07 PM
WTF??? There are right hand drive caddys?I thot maybe a mirrored image, but the plate isnt backwards.

http://farm4.dealernet.com.au/stock/20081219/B74B7169CEA74A54BA162F56E76A569C.jpg

Courtesy of eBay Australia.

Dcarlson
07-24-09, 12:15 AM
I think the 16 is the best thing Cadillac has done in a long time. The American luxury car is now a thing of the past! Now lets think of some things scream luxury American cars.

#1 big. I think the most important attribute a luxury car has to have. It's simple. The smaller the car, the less space between you and the road.
#2 bold - Something that stands out.
#3 overdone - i think all American luxury cars have to be over the top, to down right rediculous.
#4 Not persay the most efficient or smartest car - you own a Cadillac, you'd better be able to afford to drive it.

To me, the sixteen is the closest thing any "luxury car", in my opinion has come to true luxury.

I think GM has to be bold, and make a car like the 16. But for the last couple decades American car companies have lost their identity. Making cheaply made front wheel drive cars.

jey
07-24-09, 05:19 PM
The problem is it's hard to compete against SUVs. The big Escalade with all the chrome and thirsty 6.2L V8 meets all your criteria. But I would rather drive the Fleetwood.

Dcarlson
07-25-09, 12:12 AM
The problem is it's hard to compete against SUVs. The big Escalade with all the chrome and thirsty 6.2L V8 meets all your criteria. But I would rather drive the Fleetwood.

Good point. People just have no taste. :nono:

Stingroo
07-25-09, 12:42 AM
Honestly, I dispise SUVs. I really do. They make no sense to me. It's like the practicality of a minivan, but with the gas mileage of a pickup truck. Why?

I also really, REALLY hate the people who buy them, but have no family, or nothing to haul. It's so stupid. It's like "Oh, I know what I can do! I'll go spend $70,000 on an Escalade, and then ride around all by myself!"

Awesome.

[/rant]

sven914
07-25-09, 10:30 AM
I also really, REALLY hate the people who buy them, but have no family, or nothing to haul. It's so stupid. It's like "Oh, I know what I can do! I'll go spend $70,000 on an Escalade, and then ride around all by myself!"

:rant:

In a way sort of resent that comment. I bought a 20 year old, four door luxury sedan, which I drive almost daily, and have yet, in three years, to allow my family or friends to ride shot gun.

But I can see your point...

caddeville89
07-25-09, 12:29 PM
Honestly, I dispise SUVs. I really do. They make no sense to me. It's like the practicality of a minivan, but with the gas mileage of a pickup truck. Why?

Awesome.

[/rant]

Exactly. I mean, an SUV Cadillac??? Who's going to go off-roading in a $70,000 vehicle?? Notice, SUV means "Sport-utility vehicle". Utility is the opposite of luxury. I think they've been missing the point, or perhaps marketing to the wrong crowd.:rant2:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-25-09, 01:38 PM
Ironically, luxury SUVs are some of the most capable off road vehicles available. The Toyota Land Cruiser and its Lexus counterpart have unbelievable off road abilities, but their owners will never use them for that purpose. Land Rovers are the same way, amazing off road but the type of people that can afford them will never take them off a paved or gravel road.

Stingroo
07-25-09, 03:12 PM
Range Rovers are AMAZING off road vehicles. A friend of mine bought an early 90's one used for like 3k because the guy was being deported (lol Florida for you) and we tore through trails better than most of the Jeep guys. Great fun.

Bro-Ham
07-25-09, 04:05 PM
Hi, I like the loooonnnnng Escalade ESV. It is over the top. Too bad it isn't styled like a car. The ESV reminds me of the 1976 Fleetwood Brougham. If I were in a position to own a new Escalade right now I would most certainly have one. I like the Rolls-Royce Phantom too. The bigger the better! Cadillac needs to get with it and make a classic high style, high technology, awe inspiring big all American road car again!

csbuckn
07-25-09, 07:58 PM
Exactly. I mean, an SUV Cadillac??? Who's going to go off-roading in a $70,000 vehicle?? Notice, SUV means "Sport-utility vehicle".

Its funny you say that because the early Escalades had traction control that prevented the wheels from spinning. You couldnt turn this off making off roading nearly impossible because if you got stuck in sand or whatever, you couldnt get out because the traction control would prevent you from rocking back and forth to get out. On the other hand, SUVs(no matter opinions) were selling like crazy and it was a smart move to put out a Cadillac version. If you had a car company and didnt make an SUV during the SUV days, you made no money. Its kinda like rap music, most of it is garbage but if you could make millions of dollars off it, would you do it too. I know I would and I'd probably have an Escalade. Now thats funny.

hueterm
07-26-09, 10:34 AM

Awesome.

[/rant]

Um, yeah, I'm convinced...where's that For Sale sign??

Please...

Stingroo
07-26-09, 08:30 PM
What do you mean by that?

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 09:45 AM
Sting, If I were to attempt to interpret the comment from hueterm you're asking about I'd say he thinks you are off base to be criticizing people who drive large expensive inefficient vehicles and drive them all by themselves when you yourself own a large inefficient vehicle that is expensive for you to own and you will likely drive it all by yourself. Hueterm, again I'm only guessing, may be thinking you pressed the "post reply" button before you thought about what you wrote. Even I have to admit your posting sounded kind of funny in the Cadillac Fleetwood forum. :) Hueterm's chide ends by suggesting the logic that the next step for you is to obviously advertise the sale of your own large expensive inefficient self-driven car of this ilk which you seemed to disagree with in your writing, which you're obviously not doing based on no postings from you voicing your intentions to ride a bike, walk, ride the bus, carpool with Prius drivers or whatever else may come to mind to fill in the blank. That's my interpretation and I'm just the messenger..... :)

Stingroo
07-27-09, 11:20 AM
True, but the part he neglects to see is that I didn't buy the car, it was a gift.

If however, I was car shopping for myself, I know I wouldn't look at a Cadillac. But I don't have the money to car shop anyway, so I took what I got. I love the car, but I know it's going to cost me to run, but I'm fine with that.

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 11:42 AM
It's a free country - - as of right now - - and we can drive whatever we want to drive - - as of right now - - everyone in this great USA is able to pursue happiness in whatever way, shape, and form that may be for each individual including driving a great big honkin' Escalade or an old Caddy or even a Prius or a bike or an electric wheelchair, whatever. Sting, whether you purchased your car or it was a gift doesn't matter as much as the fact that you still have it, you have an enthusiasm for it, and you are who you are and the car is what it is. Enjoy what you have just like other folks enjoy what they are lucky enough to have. Smile and know life is always good! If it's not good at the moment there are always cocktails! :)

Stingroo
07-27-09, 12:39 PM
I don't know about the drive what we want. Careful, in 4 years for all we know we'll have Government Issue Aveos. lol

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 01:49 PM
I have faith in the American people. I wouldn't do or drive what the government told me to do under any circumstance.

sven914
07-27-09, 07:10 PM
Careful, in 4 years for all we know we'll have Government Issue Aveos. lol

I have faith in the American people. I wouldn't do or drive what the government told me to do under any circumstance.

I'm with Dave, but if it comes to that, and America losses it's founding ideals of freedom, I'm going to convert my Cadillac to run on ethanol and move to Rio de Janeiro.

Stingroo
07-27-09, 07:24 PM
I'd go to Belize. At least their official language is English.

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 09:27 PM
You guys! :) There was a temporary lapse of sanity last year, the romance will come to an end since too many have shed blood, sweat, and (lately) tears for this country to let it get flushed down the biffy that easily. Remember, the Brazilians have worse problems than us with their government subsidized ethanol although I've heard it's a fun place to visit in season. Buy a big car now before they all go to the crusher. The local dealers are putting their gas guzzlers out in front of their dealerships already as trophies of the "cash for clunkers" BS. So far I've seen a decent looking 97-99 deVille d'Elegance and a 87-91 Grand Marquis - - both emblazoned with big letters stating CASH FOR CLUNKERS. The fact that our government is paying for this is disgusting. :(

Stingroo
07-27-09, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I saw a perfectly good Suburban at our local Chevy dealership. It had nothing wrong cosmetically, and actually looked pretty clean. People are ridiculous. Why give up something like that just to take on car payments because you got "$4500"?

Sad.

csbuckn
07-27-09, 10:52 PM
I was thinking about the cash for clunkers thing. I dont think it will claim as many vehicles as I first thought. I think it was put into affect too early. Nobody has felt any recovery(at least not me) from the recent attempt to turn around the economy and we just cant afford a car payment and mandatory full coverage(in this state). We will definitely lose some good cars but I think the thing to do right now is invest in the older cars and good repair shops before everybody else notices they wont be around forever. That way, we can make sure the title to this thread stays true.

Stingroo
07-27-09, 11:26 PM
Well at least one will stay around. :)

I don't think the plan was set too early though. There's only 1billion dollars around for it. I know I know, that's a lot of money, but assuming that every car goes for $3500 (which isn't true, of course), it will destroy 285,000 cars roughly. At $4500, that goes to 222,000 cars. So I'd guess the real figures will be somewhere between those numbers, say 250,000 ish.

They built more Broughams than that alone, if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately though, however you spin it, it's still a waste of my (and your) billion dollars.