: ? for guys who installed BMR Wheel Hop...

ssmith100
07-20-04, 11:20 PM
To the guys that have installed the wheel hop kit, do you think you needed all of the pieces in the kit or did one piece make most of the difference. I guess what I'm asking is do you think just the trailing arm would make the difference or does it also need trailing arms and toe rods. I like how my car rides and am not interested in bringing in any unwanted road noise. But.......I hate this freaking wheel hop!!! My car is literally jumping off the ground on 1 to 2 shifts with the 19" wheels. Anybody with some answers???

Thanks,
Shane

StealthV
07-20-04, 11:25 PM
From my understanding, the bar that ties the two sides together is the biggest help. Mine is due off the UPS truck tomorrow.

May try for a Thursday night install since that night is neighborhood "gear-head" night. For my V, I didn't order the toe rods or trailing arms.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-V/AWK001-small.jpg

ssmith100
07-20-04, 11:28 PM
StealthV

Anxious to see if it makes a big difference. Keep me posted. I guess you got it in.......red??????? :)

Shane

StealthV
07-20-04, 11:36 PM
Red is the fastest color! :)

ssmith100
07-20-04, 11:41 PM
StealthV,

Are you installing the kit yourself? I would be curious to find out if just installing the bar without the the aluminum bushings would quite down the road noise and still limit wheel hop. You willing to do any experimenting???

Shane

jspinetto
07-20-04, 11:50 PM
There is a big problem with that.

That trailing bar goes across the fuel tank. If you dont put the bushings in there will be no gap between the bar and your tank. According to BMR this can cause your fuel tank to rupture when you hit the gas!

Jonathan

ssmith100
07-20-04, 11:57 PM
Then where does the four (silver) aluminum bushings go??

Shane

jspinetto
07-21-04, 12:05 AM
There are four cradle points for the suspension.

the four metal ones go on the back two points. Two bushings per point (one on top, one on bottom).

Jonathan

ssmith100
07-21-04, 12:09 AM
Thanks Jonathan,

Since you do have the kit and said you also have some increased road noise, would you still do it?? Did you also do all the pieces or just the long trailing arm? I think i really want to do the kit I just do'nt want it to be loud.

Shane

jspinetto
07-21-04, 12:20 AM
I would still do it b/c there is nothing like leaving 100ft of patch :rolleyes:

Also I did install everything on the kit.

Let me know if you have some questions when installing it!

Jonathan

2004ctsv
07-22-04, 12:25 AM
If you wouldn't mind, how long did it take?
Do you think it could be done with floor jacks in a home garage?
I am considering the kit and would appreciate any insight you could give.
thanks

StealthV
07-22-04, 12:31 AM
My BMR kit came today. Ordered a red one, confirmed via separate email with Thunder Racing that they did indeed order me a red one and guess what? Yep, I got a black one. :banghead: And to top it off, zero instructions, just a box of 4 steel rings, 4 aluminum rings and one black :banghead: tubular bar. :suspense:

ssmith100
07-22-04, 08:12 AM
StealthV,

Sorry to hear you got the wrong color. After you get it installed, please give some feedback on whether you picked up any road noise with just installing the bar. It seems most of the guys here installed the whole kit so I'm curious if just installing the bar won't add a lot of noise. Keep us posted.

Shane

CTSVLS6
07-22-04, 07:12 PM
I installed my kit at home. I put the front of the car on jack stands and put the back on three 2X10's. I installed the whole kit, 4 steel spacers and 4 aluminan spacers, plus the cross bar- per the instructions. I used an impact wrench and was done about 1 hour. The main noise that I really notice a lot more is the whine from the rear end, seemes like it is getting a lot worse. Starts around 20 all the way up to 60. I can still hear the radio just fine and talk to a passagners without shouting. It goes to the dealer on Monday to be checked out for the rear end noise, I will take off the cross bar before it goes in. To me it is worth a little noise not to have all the wheel hop. It does feel a little stiffer in the rear.

Vedder
07-22-04, 09:16 PM
Are you saying in got noisy once you put the bar in or was there already a problem. I don't understand why you are taking it to the dealer?

Z06CADY
07-23-04, 12:11 AM
CTSVLS6..
Why are you going to remove the bar before taking the car to the dealer???

StealthV
07-23-04, 12:24 AM
To prevent any hassles with warranty denial.

CTSVLS6
07-23-04, 05:07 AM
I have 5000 miles on the car and the rear end noise has been there since around 2000 miles. I told the dealer about it then and they said it was probley tire noise( yea right) and to let them know if it got any worse. It was getting worse before I installed the kit, but with the spacers installed it makes the whine travel through the car more. I don't know if leaving the bar on will make a difference to them, but I don't want to take a chance, so I will remove it. That will take about 5 minuntes to do.

Z06CADY
07-23-04, 03:11 PM
Maybe after the bar is in I will understand better the way it works. Right now I don't see the warranty issue.
Also, it comes off much faster than it goes on?????

CTSVLS6
07-23-04, 04:10 PM
The part of the job that takes the most time was getting the car up so I could get under it. The spacers take the most time to put on because you have to drop the rear cradle down to put the spacers over the rubber mounts. The bar is a direct bolt on using existing bolts. Hope this helps..

WhiteLightning
07-23-04, 05:06 PM
I love the kit, I really do. But I now have all the parts on (I installed the Wheel Hop Kit, a tire shop installed the other two parts).

And while the handling is sharp, and the hop is tough to induce, but...
Its louder. I'm keeping it, 100% but just wanna let you'all know. I ass-u-me that the tire shop did the other parts correctly.

WL

Z06CADY
07-24-04, 07:11 PM
The kit just arrived, now I see what you mean about the bar coming off in 5 min.