: 90# Lug Nut Torque From Factory

sotxmike
07-14-09, 02:05 AM
I ordered my 09 V2 in February...delivered in April. Fiqured the President (of the U.S., not GM) wouldn't allow these cars to be built much longer. After going through the owners manual I went out and bought a new torque wrench to accomodate the higher torque settings (140#) on the lug nuts. I went out to play with the new torque wrench, checked the torque at 120#, and the lug nut turned!! Checked the rest and ALL the lug nuts were factory set at 90#. :eek:

So I reset the lug nuts to the higher setting, but now I'm wondering if anything else is under-torqued. I never experienced the front wheel clicking as described previously on the forum.

However, at this point, this is the BEST DAMN CAR I have ever owned or driven :thumbsup:

Tony407
07-14-09, 03:22 AM
140 ft lbs? That sounds very high to me. I've never torqued any of my nuts more than 90, and I torque my nuts all the time. LOL

Tony

Prof
07-14-09, 05:13 AM
My lugs were at 90 lbs too. I was not surprised, that is close to the spec for my SRT 10 (85 lbs.). I presume you have seen a spec that calls for 140 lbs?

That kind of torque is really scary...warping of rotors would be very possible.

Prof
07-14-09, 05:15 AM
Where did you get the 140 lb spec? That really sounds high. My SRT 10 calls for 85 lbs and warns that more could warp the rotors.

Gary Wells
07-14-09, 05:31 AM
Just a guess, but within the timeframe of ordered in February, delivered in April, the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) had not been released yet, and is for cars returned to the dealers with issues of the wheels clicking, and the original build specification / requirement probably was for 90 lbs., and it has been reported on this forum several times that 140 lbs is what is specified on the recently released TSB. HTH

ewill3rd
07-14-09, 08:13 AM
Even the base CTS calls for this higher torque.
It is in the manual.
The lug studs are bigger and the lug nuts are bigger. These DI engines that are available on the base cars and the increased HP output from the V series almost demand stronger components.

Lower torque will cause rotors to warp just as readily as higher torque, if not even moreso.
The issue is using the proper pattern and the proper setting on the wrench.

Hawkeye2
07-14-09, 09:06 AM
Hmm....just added a locking nut to my rims. Mine were all set at 90 as well. And, it was a late built 09. If indeed there is a TSB, and I
recall reading about it, then why is the factory still sending them out at 90?

jvp
07-14-09, 10:15 AM
Folks -

The V's lugs need to be torqued to 158 foot-pounds, per the TSB that was released shortly after the car was released. The data in the service manual (and owner's manual) is incorrect.

Ninety isn't high enough. One hundred isn't, neither is 140. Crank 'em down at 158.

Read this (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/165703-service-procedure-wheel-clicking-official-tsb.html) for clarification.

jas