: Help with wire wheels

EndlessRyd
07-13-09, 07:53 PM
I found a nice set of Cadi wire wheels.... only thing is that the set did not come with lug nuts. I was told that they are unavailable from GM. They are supposedly custom made to fit with the rims...like a regular lug nut, but with a shank and a washer. Well, I REALLY would like a set if anyone has one, or any ideas on what other kinds of lug nuts work. Having a set of true wires in my trunk, and not on my car is torture!! Thanks in advance.
Mike

drmenard
07-13-09, 11:59 PM
I have a set of stock wire wheels and I am using Gorilla chrome lug nuts.. No need for any washers... Also to make my wheels unique, on the cap with the red background and caddy emblem... I took of the red plastic background and made a blue background to go with the blue car....

Dcarlson
07-14-09, 01:43 AM
How did you do that? I have a blue car and was thinking of doing something similar.

EndlessRyd
07-14-09, 11:04 AM
Are the Gorilla lug nuts different than standard ones? Do they have a narrower section on the bottom? The tire place said that factory is the only kind that will work, but that size is not available for any other kind of wheel... the Caddy ones were the only ones that had that particular size. They also said it would be dangerous if I did not find the washers and mounted them without.

Aron9000
07-14-09, 04:09 PM
The wire wheels on my 1991 don't have the washer. They are a regular GM lugnut that looks fancy. You can go to Autozone and buy the regular GM style brass lugnuts with the open ends and use those until you find the correct style lugs. They look ugly but function the same.

You might also try going to a custom rim shop, I'm sure they'll be able to get the right type.

drmenard
07-14-09, 05:10 PM
Here is a close up of one of my wheels... are your wheels the same as these? mineare stock wheels...The plastic blue discs I cut round on a lathe and then put it on the cap then drilled the holes for the emblem's pins...then just but the emblem on and put the wire nuts on the back ... there is a plastic store that sell all kinds of products... that is 1/8" blue plexyglass.

drmenard
07-14-09, 05:20 PM
I guess my picture is too big.. its 896X600... thats the smallest my cheap little camera goes... I will email it to someone who knows how to post it..

drmenard
07-14-09, 11:04 PM
I found a program... let see if it works...

Dcarlson
07-15-09, 01:00 AM
That looks incredible! I might have to give that a try! But my wires are not even close shapewise. I found a caddi with wires at a local scrap yard which im going to get the doors off, the wheels are rough, but the caps are good. I'm thinking i'll take the caps and give your idea a try. Looks fantastic :thumbsup:

brougham
07-16-09, 03:34 AM
Theres no washers for them. Any chrome lug nuts that are the right size should work. The original ones look different then the ones in that picture.

EndlessRyd
07-16-09, 09:45 AM
OK, maybe the guy at the tire shop didnt know what he was talking about... I'll try another place next time I take the car out for a drive.