: Power Brainstorm

bass_sts
07-13-09, 06:37 PM
Wondering some possible issues that could cause this behavior.

Had a thread earlier this week with and Oil change and loss of power. Everything got corrected, but I'm still at a loss of power. No check engine light.

Want to know if anyone has ideas as to what would cause this w/out throwing a code:

Spark Plugs?
Throttle body needs cleaning?
Do I have a gremlin in the trunk?

Would love the forum's thoughts.

K STS
07-13-09, 06:55 PM
no fat chicks

bass_sts
07-13-09, 06:57 PM
nope, only the wife and she's skinny and beautiful.. :)

next2pool
07-13-09, 07:05 PM
About the only thing I can think of concerns the variable valve timing (VVT) mechanism that counts on oil pressure to do it's thing. I suppose some aeration or possible dirt could have caused it to malfunction, but it's a long shot. Any kind of misfire or mixture problem will set a code.

bass_sts
07-13-09, 07:10 PM
Something to note is that sometimes it gets peppy... not often, just feels like not enough fuel is making into the system...

Ugg... keep em coming, I'll take the suggestions to Cadillac soon.:helpless:

Different forum, but they talked about reseting the car by unplugging the battery eventually led them to bad Oxygen sensors... caused issued..

I'm gonna try it for kicks.

next2pool
07-13-09, 08:28 PM
Does your trans seem to shift OK and does it start in 1st, etc? Any particular weather differences when it feels good and not so good?

turnerbend
07-13-09, 08:55 PM
I don't think an oil change can cause a noticeable loss of power. You may want to do some troubleshooting is other areas.

WillySTS
07-13-09, 09:32 PM
Wondering some possible issues that could cause this behavior.

Want to know if anyone has ideas as to what would cause this w/out throwing a code:

Do I have a gremlin in the trunk?

Would love the forum's thoughts.

That's it...everything else would throw a code after a day or two of driving.

bass_sts
07-13-09, 11:24 PM
K, did a little interwebs digging and came up with this from the E55 forum,
And yes, I realize it's a different car, engine, everything, please don't kick me for that...

(p.s. the shifting is not a problem)

Ok, so a guy there was having a problem loosing about a second of his 0-60 time and wasn't getting a code, finally though he would reset the system by unplugging the battery. This gave him a couple of days of better performance then it would die off.

He came up with the O2 sensor not giving the proper information, so it didn't throw a code it just wasn't working right.

Well, I haven't gotten it replaced yet (since I just tried this today)

But I wen't home, unplugged the battery for about 20 minutes, got in, and ran hard, and for about an hour I had exceptional performance back.

Either way, it is something that the system is doing because when you reset the system it runs great (for a limited time)

I'll update once I've taken it to Cadillac.

Dougs06sts
07-14-09, 01:59 AM
There was another thread I read recently (can't remember the name of the thread) about a loss of power due to a low voltage condition. That user had the battery was replaced under warranty and the problem was gone. I'm not sure this is what you're dealing with, but it could be worth a search on the forum to see if your symptoms are similar.

next2pool
07-14-09, 11:02 AM
Another possibility is that the traction control system is pulling out some power possibly due to a wheel speed sensor issue. Another thought is that your drive by wire is not giving full authority. Resetting the computer could reset any of those systems as well.

bass_sts
07-14-09, 11:24 AM
Yeah, the battery thread was mine,
And the loss of power occurs with traction control off... so that's probably not it.

it's 90 bucks to get this checked... so I'm looking for a OBD2 interface and software now.