: VERY Strange grounding problem??? ADVICE NEEDEDe

69DVC
07-13-09, 05:26 PM
Hi

Car - 69 deville 472

I was removing the ac compressor - one STRANGE problem,
one ordinary........Bracket is held on with 4 bolts, I bravely removed the back two, near the carburetor. The two on the front of the compressor - are TOTALLY seized, I successfully managed to round off one and was half way through rounding the other when I decided to quit - a noble choice indeed !

So I started up the car and it ran LIKE total CRAP, Sputtering, carburetor backfires, stumbing, Terrible terrible . . . . crawled back into the garage.
I thought maybe I had moved the distributor by mistake trying to get those bolts moving. No, it was rock solid in place. Checked the carb, all okay. I then thought to replace the AC compressor bolts from the back of the bracket. Car ran great.....WTF

So I have two questions, How could these bolts contribute to crappy running? How could they ground the ignition system?

ALSO - How in the hell am I going to get these darned bolts out ? Drill? Hammer?? HELP please...

I will patiently wait your replies, many thanks

j.stevenson

drmenard
07-13-09, 11:03 PM
The back two bolts go right into your intake.. without those bolts in place it will suck air in like crazy... you have to keep them pluged up...

69DVC
07-14-09, 03:19 AM
Ah yes of course....

how stupid of me :hmm:

thanks

Any ideas how to remove the rounded bolts ?

cadillac_al
07-14-09, 07:14 AM
Are you using 6 point sockets? They would have to be very tight to get rounded with a 6 point.

69DVC
07-14-09, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your reply,

yeah, I am using HEX sockets if that's what 6 point is.

How would I go about getting them out??

thanks

sven914
07-15-09, 12:26 AM
The blue wrench works every time.

You could take a file and painstakingly cut a flat edge into both sides of each bolt, and then work them out with vise grip pliers. You could also make the heads perfectly square (not easily done) and a 12 point (or if have some antique 8 point) socket will fit on them without slipping.

Dcarlson
07-15-09, 01:18 AM
I'd use a propane or oxy acceteline (excuse my spelling please) just to heat up the bolt if its really siezed in there. Get a slightly smaller socket if you rounded it right off, and get your hammer and pound it over top of the stripped bolt. I'd do this before getting out my vise gripps.

Angry Matt
07-15-09, 06:08 PM
If you're not going to re-use the holes you could use an angle grinder and take the tops off. That's how I got my ball joints out. Keep in mind anything with sparks or a flame near the carb could be dangerous. Or you could square them with the grinder if you can get it in there.

csbuckn
07-15-09, 07:43 PM
I'd do like Dcarlson and pound a smaller socket or wrench over it and go from there. But power tools are always fun...

jey
07-16-09, 11:23 AM
Yup soak it in Liquid Wrench overnight, and try pounding a smaller 12-point socket on it. Another technique I have used is Vice Grips - not the traditional kind but these:

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/large/2078108_lg.jpg