: Heel and Toe question

Hawkeye2
07-13-09, 11:56 AM
I have the optional pedals in m V. I find the gas pedal is too low for easy
heel and toe operation for me.

Brian from SRP Racing was kind enough to send me the specs on his replacement pedals. I would like to shim the gas pedal to raise it a bit.

Has anyone does this yet? Or have another fix. I may be picky but I'm
used to a different pedal set up.

Thanks,

Brian.

Silver -V-
07-13-09, 03:16 PM
I shimmed the SRP pedals on my car with a couple ofs SS washers and a bit longer screws than SRP provides. I can now hit the pedal very well when downshifting in a tight corner.

Hawkeye2
07-13-09, 05:01 PM
Thanks I'll check it out tonight.

Tony407
07-14-09, 03:50 AM
I have the optional pedals in m V. I find the gas pedal is too low for easy
heel and toe operation for me.

Brian from SRP Racing was kind enough to send me the specs on his replacement pedals. I would like to shim the gas pedal to raise it a bit.

Has anyone does this yet? Or have another fix. I may be picky but I'm
used to a different pedal set up.

Thanks,

Brian.

I have the standard pedals and I also find the positioning of the accelerator to be a little off as well. I've found myself unconsciously bringing my heel back farther so my toe rests on the pedal, and this of course makes it hard to transition quickly to the brake. I've ordered the aluminum pedals but I don't expect there to be any difference unless I modify it. I'm not exactly sure what you guys are doing without taking a closer look, but I might consider this as well.

Tony

Hawkeye2
07-14-09, 05:16 AM
I looked at it last night. I think that Silver V is on the right track. The difference in height between the gas
and the brake is too much. It is about one inch more than in my Z06. I plan on buying a new pedal from
SRP and shimming it to where it is about one inch higher than stock. I''ll try that, then play with the shims
till I get it to where I feel more comfortable. You should be able to just rock your foot instead of reaching
and fumbling down for the gas as you brake.

Teutonaddict
11-07-09, 11:41 AM
Any update here from those who've modded the SRP pedals or found another solution?

I will look into SRP, but I'd like to get more user feedback from those who've already been down this path.

I'm only one month into my new love affair, and this is the only regret so far.

My prior six vehicles were manual-tranny BMWs and I must say that they always had beautiful pedal placement for rev-matching downshifts.

Thanks!

backup
11-07-09, 01:30 PM
I thought I was the only one! I cannot heal and toe in this car, at least I have not figured out how to do it smoothly yet. The pedal placement is worng somehow. Let me ask what size shoe do you guys wear? I am size 12 and I can't get my heel on the gas correctly, like it is recessed too far relative to the brake.

This is a big impediment to driving this car fast on the track, in my opinion. A high RPM non-rev matched downshift will really upset the balance. I don't like computer nannies, but I would love to see a computer aided blip on downshift in the manual trans car, like the Nissan 370Z (with the option to turn it off). Takes away from the pure goodness of a proper heel and toe downshift, but much better than a mismatched downshift.

Teutonaddict
11-07-09, 02:25 PM
FWIW, after researching the SRP pedals, I just decided to pull the trigger and get the aftermarket set. I'll then figure out how to shim up the accelerator pedal so that it's not so far below the level of the brake pedal, as others here have described.

BTW, I've bought aftermarket pedals for my last few vehicles, and these SRP items look really well built. They are a forum sponsor and are offering a 20% discount. I found them on the Audizine forum, and the owner appears really responsive to customer feedback/suggestions.

I'll take photos and report on the heel/toe improvement once I receive my goodies. I hope they work as good as they look!

-Dave

BtwoG
03-14-10, 09:14 PM
Any updates on how this worked out?

I test drove a V2 today and it seemed like the brake pedal was about 2 inches higher than the gas pedal. I couldnt come close to heel toe shifting.

Razorecko
03-14-10, 09:27 PM
lol, thought i was a shifting newb when i tried to heel and toe on the V and no way in hell could i reach the gas pedal

backup
03-14-10, 09:33 PM
The only way I have been able to do it is place my right heel on the brake and sort of twist and rock my toes over on the gas. It is awkward but works. I really don't like braking with my heel though. Any update on the aftermarket pedal shims is welcomed!

cbloveday
03-15-10, 12:05 AM
Which style pedal is everyone ordering? I looked at their site and the pedals state they are for the 2003-2007 CTS-V

Would like to know which pedals everone has purchased so I can make a decision.

Umrswimr
03-15-10, 08:28 AM
Most people I've seen do not use the heel-toe, but rather use the inside (ball) of their foot for the brakes and roll the outside of their foot on the throttle. This works for my C5 and C4, but not the CTS-V. For this car (on the street), I found I actually have to perform the proper heel-toe and use my heel to blip the throttle.

I'm curious to see how things sort out on the track. The pedal height should not be an issue on the track- the brake pedal will be MUCH lower on the track as you threshhold brake. I'm mostly conserned by the somewhat wide spacing. We'll see...

garfin
03-15-10, 08:50 AM
Only had my V for 2 weeks now and just tried a couple of heel and toe downshifts a few days ago. Not so easy!
I made some adjustments in where I was placing my right foot before starting the process and it helped, but it was still a b*tch to roll the ball of my foot over the distance between the pedals. I'm hoping a little more practice will help. Getting the feel of the pedals while practising it on the street, going around a corner at 25 mph is one thing... doing it on a track at 90 mph is another.

Best regards,

Elie

GMX322V S/C
03-15-10, 02:18 PM
I only have size 7.5 feet, so heel-and-toeing can be problematic in certain cars for me (like pony cars, especially). In my other car, I set my seat slightly forward from where it would be otherwise so there is more of a bend to my knee; this allows me to brake with the ball of my foot and rotate my knee to the left and blip the throttle with my heel (literally)...

garfin
03-18-10, 05:49 PM
I just spent a quick 20 min. in the car focusing on the best way for me to heel and toe with this car's pedal placement and I got it!
The key (for me, anyway) is that I have to lift my right heel off the floor when keeping the left side of my foot on the brake, and sort of point my toes straight out (or forward) when rocking over to the gas pedal. This is not quite what I'm used to doing as the norm for me is to keep my right heel resting on the floor, but for the short time necessary to apply the brake with the left side of my foot and blip the throttle with the right side, I don't find it a big problem. It will take a little practice and getting used to doing it this way until it becomes 2nd nature, I'm sure.
At first, I sat in the car for a couple of minutes and tried a few different approaches and positions for my foot, but this one seemed to work the best. The next step was taking it around the block to see how easy (or difficult) it would be and after 10-12 downshifts, I was becoming fairly consistent.
I wouldn't be comfortable doing this on the track yet, but I'll be practicing this particular technique now, every chance I get until I can do it in my sleep!

Best regards,

Elie

Hawkeye2
03-19-10, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the tip Elie. However, I still want to modify my pedal. I have the new gas pedal and bought some new hardware, just have
to play with it after I get the car out of storage for the summer.

Keep up posted!

garfin
03-19-10, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the tip Elie. However, I still want to modify my pedal. I have the new gas pedal and bought some new hardware, just have
to play with it after I get the car out of storage for the summer.

Keep up posted!

What you waitin' for, boy?!? :welcome: to spring!!

Best regards,

Elie