: Air conditioner on the fritz. Help, it's HOT here!!

easter9053
07-12-09, 11:23 PM
My air conditioner compressor is out I think. I put two more cans of freon in it and it started making noises and freon was spraying out. (Too Full, I guess). I purchased it with the extended warranty. Is it time to use it or maybe the problem is something else?

CEPMAN
07-13-09, 08:24 AM
Definitely use the warranty - that's what they're for. Especially since you live in the south. What is your deductible?
Usually, if you don't know exactly what the problem is, by the time you keep tinkering around with possible fixes, you will have spent whatever your deductible is. You don't have to worry about 'using up' your warranty. Take it in.

easter9053
07-14-09, 12:27 AM
I took it in this AM. They then called back and told me they couldn't see what the problem was. I said just drive the dang thing around tomorrow at high noon and see how u feel. If definitely am getting it fixed. With the warranty. I'll get that recalled second ron seatbelt fixed too, while it's there at the dealership.

GCOP
07-14-09, 02:59 AM
I agree with CEPMAN, jump on the warranty. Hell ride with them if you have too.....

Mine had an issue as well. It would go off and clow warm, although the compressor was still on, for just about 15-20 seconds, them back to cool. It didn't do it everytime, but more often than not. Th efirst time I took it back, theu said it was fine, the feom was "good"....whatever.....I asked the tech to go for a drive, and thankfully, the truck performed as usual. The tech wanted to add freon to the truck, I told him, I did not think that was the problem, and besides, low freon is a SYMPTOM, not the problem.

He and I jawed back and forth about what it was/was not. So in the end, I wrote down what I thought the problem was in an envelope, we sealed it up, he signed it, I signed it. 2 free full synthetic serbices if I'm right, $50 in his pocket if I'm wrong.....I say fan clutch.....we'll know soon.

easter9053
07-16-09, 12:33 AM
Got it back today and the AC does seem colder but not frigid. I want to take it back. I'm afraid they may try to fix something else that doesn't really need to be fixed and charge me. The repaired item was not on the warranty and cost me $663.57. That's a lot of money to pay for just a little cold.

GCOP
07-16-09, 01:39 AM
Got it back today and the AC does seem colder but not frigid. I want to take it back. I'm afraid they may try to fix something else that doesn't really need to be fixed and charge me. The repaired item was not on the warranty and cost me $663.57. That's a lot of money to pay for just a little cold.

What exactly did they "fix"? That's a lot of $$$ for a little bit of nothing. Pin them down on the deal, tell them you brought them a specific problem, and they charged you to fix it, but did not. Either make it good, or return your money. I know that's easier said than done. But have someone in charge ride in the truck brfore you leave it, and point out exactly what it does, then before you pay a dime, make sure that it is repaired to your satisfaction. Tell them you need a diagnosis, not someone who going to guess, and throw their parts and your wallet at a problem yntil they stumble upon a solution.

Curious, why would the warranty not cover your problem?

easter9053
07-17-09, 01:44 AM
The damn warranty I purchased with National Warranty Corproration did not cover that particular part on the AC parts list. Sucks, but I read it plain as day before and after I purchased the warranty for $1800.00. I will drive it around this weekend and see what the AC does. If it is not doing right by Sunday I will take it in. It seemed to be a little bit colder in my AC today bit it wasn't as hot as it has been here in Memphis, TN.

aborrego
07-17-09, 02:04 AM
i have the same problem i need a new A/C compressor. mine was um throughing bits of metal from the gears out and i was afraid it was going to catch on fire so i bought a smaller belt and bypassed the compressor entierly.

GCOP
07-17-09, 04:02 AM
The damn warranty I purchased with National Warranty Corproration did not cover that particular part on the AC parts list. Sucks, but I read it plain as day before and after I purchased the warranty for $1800.00. I will drive it around this weekend and see what the AC does. If it is not doing right by Sunday I will take it in. It seemed to be a little bit colder in my AC today bit it wasn't as hot as it has been here in Memphis, TN.

So what exactly did they repair?

obxdiver
07-17-09, 06:45 AM
The damn warranty I purchased with National Warranty Corproration did not cover that particular part on the AC parts list.

I tell people to never ever buy one of those 3rd party extended warranties. They always come up with some BS excuse why this part or that hose is not covered.
They are all scams.
Just take you chance. Pay for the repairs as they occur.
YOU WILL SAVE MORE IN THE LONG RUN.

GCOP
07-19-09, 08:43 PM
I've had boyh good and bad luck with aftermarket companies. Most recently C.A.R.S. paid for significant front axle work on my Excursion, the truck at the time had 228K pn it. It went very smoothly.

In the past I had a company called Eagle Warranty Co. they refused to pay for a broken tranny output shft, becuase, it had "pre-existing wear" really??? on a use car, sounds crazy huh?!:) I was able to chage back my purchace on my CC, so it worked out for me.

I have to agree with obxdriver, most of those deals are total BS....