: Some steering wheel lights out

MartiRam
07-12-09, 01:31 PM
Two lights are burned out and the rest work on the steering wheel. Is this a simple fix - can I get the part from the dealer and do myself - or is this something I have to let the dealership do?

Thanks in advance,

MartiRam

luxurylife33
07-12-09, 01:37 PM
All you need is 2 small picks and gently pry the button out. The wire on the back is VERY short so be careful. I'd say its pretty simple, but can end up being a head ache if you rush it.

easter9053
07-12-09, 10:07 PM
A few of mine are out too. How do I see to fix this. Where do I find the bulbs?

nathanjax
07-12-09, 10:44 PM
Here's some pictures of the switch being taken apart. Sorry, but they are with my iphone.

Here's the switch out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/Truck/Truck%20Misc/Switchbottom.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/Truck/Truck%20Misc/Switch1.jpg

Carefully open the back...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/Truck/Truck%20Misc/Open1.jpg

Lift the white plastic piece and the back of the switch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/Truck/Truck%20Misc/Open2.jpg

If the red tabs fall out, FIND THEM and you'll see on the backside of the actual black switch where to put them back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/Truck/Truck%20Misc/Allopen.jpg

On the lights themselves, pull off the blue cover and it looks like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/Truck/Truck%20Misc/lights.jpg

You will then have to "un"solder the bulb and solder the new one back in. I haven't looked for a new bulb yet, not sure where to look, but they are SMALL.

Here's a pic of the bulb compared to a 194 bulb

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/Truck/Truck%20Misc/bulbcompare.jpg

MartiRam
07-13-09, 02:56 PM
All you need is 2 small picks and gently pry the button out. The wire on the back is VERY short so be careful. I'd say its pretty simple, but can end up being a head ache if you rush it.

Do you mean pry the button that is out and resolder or replace a bulb?
Sorry, can you be a little more specific.
Also, your description for repair is a little different than Nathanjax or is it.

Thanks, Martiram

luxurylife33
07-13-09, 07:42 PM
Thats exactly what I did^ except i didnt have to unsolder them... mine just pulled right out.... interesting.... i went to "swift auto parts" and they gave me the replacement bulbs i needed.... 2 for $1

easter9053
07-13-09, 11:22 PM
I wonder where else they have those bulbs. Does anyone know if they are in Autozone?

luxurylife33
07-13-09, 11:33 PM
i tried autozone, pep boys and advance.... none of them had it.... i couldnt even tell you the size, the guy went in the back and came out with them

ewill3rd
07-14-09, 08:21 AM
You can waste your time doing all that, or you can just replace the switch assemblies.
Most of them you can do without removing the wheel but on a couple the harness is too tight and you'll have to remove the steering wheel and the back cover, then get some slack in the wires.
It doesn't take nearly as long as trying to take a switch apart and find "bulbs" that don't exist.
By the time you drive all over town and spend your time on the phone trying to find "bulbs" you could have this done and be living your life and doing something enjoyable. ;)

nathanjax
07-15-09, 09:04 AM
You can waste your time doing all that, or you can just replace the switch assemblies.
Most of them you can do without removing the wheel but on a couple the harness is too tight and you'll have to remove the steering wheel and the back cover, then get some slack in the wires.
It doesn't take nearly as long as trying to take a switch apart and find "bulbs" that don't exist.
By the time you drive all over town and spend your time on the phone trying to find "bulbs" you could have this done and be living your life and doing something enjoyable. ;)

Exactly. I put the picks up just to show the switches. I replaced all 4 of my switches for $107. The top 2 switches came out without pulling the wheel, but the lower 2 switches didn't have enough slack...

Silver04
07-15-09, 10:23 AM
Maybe a good idea to disconnect neg battery cable prior to doing this...why have the chance of an oversensitive airbag deploying.

pilot-werx
07-31-09, 07:50 AM
Replaced my switches last night... The tops were a breeze. The bottoms are a PITA. My wires were way to too short and thank god the connector on the switch broke before the wires. Pulling the air bag is must to get the lowers back in. The air bag takes all of 30 seconds to pull out. With the airbag out, I pulled the lower wires back and re-routed them to make it easy to put the switches back in. All totaled it took maybe 20 minutes to complete.

An idea instead of buying the switches at the dealer is to buy a take-off wheel on ebay for $50 with all the switches in it...

ewill3rd
07-31-09, 08:16 AM
... provided those too are not burned out...

coralreef35mm
07-31-09, 09:45 AM
Pilot,
Could you explain to me how to do the airbag/sterring wheel removal?
thanks

pilot-werx
07-31-09, 12:23 PM
It was fairly easy... I first disconnected the battery to prevent any bad electrical things from happening... Then on each side of the steering wheel, you will see two holes. I used a punch and inserted into each hole and the airbag literally popped out into my hands. I have attached a picture from the service manual.

easter9053
08-01-09, 08:44 AM
I assume you order the switches from the dealer?

ewill3rd
08-01-09, 08:46 AM
The air bag is an undeployed explosive, but it isn't the trigger. The system sensors are located a long way from the bags.
Be careful handling them of course, but sudden movements won't do anything, just insane playing with electricity.

I have handled literally thousands of them without incident. While I would advise "caution" when working with airbag systems, I certainly wouldn't advise being in mortal terror.
Disconnection of the battery is an excellent place to start.

pilot-werx
08-02-09, 06:13 AM
Yes, my dealer keeps them in stock. I think it was $70 for all the switches...

pcguy760
08-04-09, 05:12 AM
Sorry guys but being an Electronics Eng. Student for a long time I am with Nathanjax on this one lol - I was actually thinking of "modding" the little circuitry and run some blue LED's or even actually mod all the green lights in every panel to blue LED's!

Well for starters I will probably do the steering controls. LEDs should last the lifetime of the vehicle as well :)

easter9053
09-02-09, 12:19 AM
Blue LED's? Cool!! I'm doing the same in my little sportscar. Let us know how this comes out and take some pics.

trapshooter40
12-23-09, 12:20 AM
You guys are awesome.. My lights are out on two switches.. I bought a wheel off Ebay for $170 that was listed for 2005 when I got it, it was off a 2003 which still would have fit but the color was way off. I returned it and the jerk still hasnt refunded my money. The buttons being out is driving me crazy. After reading this, I pulled the switched and replaced the bulbs in less then 30 mins.. Thanks

heydavemyers
01-16-10, 06:43 AM
I think these bulbs might be available at Radio Shack. They are a standard 12v electrical component used in other small stuff.

jnrsesv
02-24-10, 12:47 PM
Radio Shack carries replacement bulbs "#7219 Micro Lamp" sell for $1.79 package of 2 bulbs. I will tell you resoldering the bulbs are tedious. But after removing the steering wheel and dismantling buttons, soldering replacement bulbs added less than a half an hour to replace 3 bulbs. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing a "Cold Heat" Solderer also available at the Shack for about $20.00. Just FYI!

Rick

llflows
02-26-10, 10:51 PM
I replaced my top switches. The switched cost $50 from gm parts direct. It took about 10 minutes to replace both switches

fasteddyII
03-30-10, 08:35 PM
Can someone tell me what the part numbers are for the two upper switch assemblies? Trying to find it on gmpartsdirect is a handful

nathanjax
03-31-10, 07:16 PM
Part numbers:

1999442 - Radio program and source buttons
1999443 - Radio seek/volume

21997738 - trip/fuel buttons
21997739 - personalization

$20 to $25 a piece...

Retail was $100.70, however, I used my fathers account (mechanic shop) and purchased the switches for $75.53.

gmercedesbenz
09-06-10, 09:21 PM
Quick question, I'm assuming that all of the above directions have been for the newer model's steering wheel control switches....if I have an '02 with the older style rocker switches that are on either side of the airbag/wheel....how does one replace those light bulbs?
Thanks!

gmercedesbenz
10-02-10, 10:08 AM
Bump :D

nathanjax
10-02-10, 10:30 AM
Quick question, I'm assuming that all of the above directions have been for the newer model's steering wheel control switches...

They are for the 03-06

if I have an '02 with the older style rocker switches that are on either side of the airbag/wheel....how does one replace those light bulbs?
Thanks!

No idea. COMPLETELY different. You probably have to take the airbag off to get to them. Maybe ewillard or someone with diagrams can chime in. Keep bumpin this thread or start a new one for 99-02's and see if someone can help!

mike3767
10-04-10, 09:45 PM
I had all for replaced at the dealer and total cost was $225.

gmercedesbenz
10-06-10, 02:00 PM
:duck: Ahh...I hope someone knows how I can do this myself...$225 is a little much for me just to get the lights....

d3adpool
10-06-10, 06:12 PM
:duck: Ahh...I hope someone knows how I can do this myself...$225 is a little much for me just to get the lights....

amen, $225 is a bit much just to have some steering wheel lights. I pretty much know which buttons are what now without looking at them i've gotten that comfortable.

netz
08-17-11, 11:33 PM
I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if anyone has an updated part number for the "micro bulbs" at radio shack. I can't seem to find them using the part number from earlier in the thread. I have all but 2 bulbs burnt out in my EXT and it's driving me crazy. TIA!

jnrsesv
08-18-11, 07:01 PM
Netz, if Radio Shack can't cross reference their own part numbers......

I believe that these are the replacmant bulbs that I used:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780

mikedyk43
09-05-11, 07:28 PM
Jnrsesv has the correct link. The actual Radio Shack part number is 272-1092. I installed these today on my 06 Escalade and now I have all button lights working for a total of $8 and about an hour of my time.

Trulytex
09-05-11, 10:17 PM
The other plus to replacing the entire switch is that most of these switches have some of the black paint worn off. For a few extra bucks you make the interior look New & Fresh again. The worn paint will really show through when you replace the bulbs.

patbecky
03-14-12, 01:15 PM
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032295

jnrsesv
03-14-12, 01:53 PM
In reference to http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032295 none of those bulbs are correct for the steering wheel controls.

|

pkdels
06-10-12, 02:22 PM
i replaced bulbs with leds 32mcd/ 12volt 10ma .they worked , when i replaced 4th switch none woked any more, the switches all work except for the lights the cruise light lights up but i did not replace that bulb .what could be wrong

osure
06-21-12, 09:22 AM
I Think the LEDs can only go in one way if you wire it backward it will kill everything

gmercedesbenz
06-22-12, 03:06 PM
So just for the sake of education since I mentioned this a while back...If you have an '02 with the older style steering wheel controls and want to replace your bulbs, you need to replace the entire unit, which involves removing the airbag. I'm definitely not that daring, so I ordered the part myself and had the dealer install it a while ago. They charged me $80.

osure
06-23-12, 09:23 AM
Yes airbag does need to come out but it really is easy 2clips two hires

feto13
07-01-12, 03:28 AM
Hey pkdels,

Where did you source your leds from? Seems like that's the way to go.

Cheers,
Kev
feto13

Back2Basic (B2B)
07-09-12, 12:15 AM
Check out this link I stumbled upon on ebay. Cost $95 for a full set of four buttons, new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260923675840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1828wt_1392

CUTiger78
07-15-12, 11:53 AM
Check out this link I stumbled upon on ebay. Cost $95 for a full set of four buttons, new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260923675840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1828wt_1392
These look good to me. I don't have the patience to take the switches apart to replace the bulbs.

But, it's evident from the pics that each switch is secured in their socket a little bit differently. Is it really as easy to get them out as one of the earliest posters said - just use a couple of small picks & gently pry them out?

osure
07-15-12, 12:16 PM
Yes but to get the new ones plugged in you will have to remove the air bag and I removed the back cover or steering wheel to get a little more room

CUTiger78
07-15-12, 05:26 PM
Yes but to get the new ones plugged in you will have to remove the air bag and I removed the back cover or steering wheel to get a little more room
I didn't realize that was necessary for the '03-'06 models.

osure
07-16-12, 04:23 PM
I had to do that on my 05. I don't see any other way but really not that hard. 20 min job

BillysBowties
01-07-13, 12:48 AM
I noticed that someone said that it's best to disconnect the battery before you remove the air bags and with all the stories I have heard about everything that starts working again or stops working again when you disconnect the battery I don't know if it's worth it or not, but if I want to get all the lights working again after purchasing the lights from the dealer I guess I will have to do it. Is the reason that you have to remove the airbag because you have to put pressure on the back of the plug that you have to press the switch in to. I read where the top two switches you can just plug back in but the bottom two you have to remove the bag, can anyone explain this before I get into something I will possibly regret, thanks for any help

the cadillac man
01-07-13, 01:15 AM
I noticed that someone said that it's best to disconnect the battery before you remove the air bags and with all the stories I have heard about everything that starts working again or stops working again when you disconnect the battery I don't know if it's worth it or not, but if I want to get all the lights working again after purchasing the lights from the dealer I guess I will have to do it. Is the reason that you have to remove the airbag because you have to put pressure on the back of the plug that you have to press the switch in to. I read where the top two switches you can just plug back in but the bottom two you have to remove the bag, can anyone explain this before I get into something I will possibly regret, thanks for any help

Um no it's to PREVENT the air bag from DEPLOYING in your face(trust me that would leave you with a possible broke nose or worse should the air bag deploy)

jnrsesv
01-07-13, 09:32 AM

As Cadillac Man stated, you disconnect battery for 40~45 minutes to let the vehicles electrical system drain out. If you don't there is a good possibilty of air bag deployment, not fun and rather expensive to replace.

On the top steering wheel buttons, yes you DO NOT have to pull steering wheel. I will fore warn you, that the wires are tight and you will need needle nose pliers to reconnect electric harness to the new switch.

The lower steering wheel buttons will NOT come out without removing the steering wheel. The electrical harness wiring is way tight and impossible to reconnect without steering wheel removed.

Very simple as I did not replace the buttons, I opt'd for light bulb replacement for the simple reason of being much cheaper than new switches.

-Disconnect battery 40~45 minutes
-Cut and bend two small coat hangers to stick through the air bag release holes.
-Disconnect 2 air bag wiring harnesses, set air bag aside
-Using a 13/16ths socket and rachet remove steering wheel lock nut,* note where the steering wheel line up marks are
-Grasp steering wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock postions and give a firm yank
-With steering wheel on workbench/table, flip upside down and remove 2-T20 (Torx) screws
-Using long screwdriver from the backside of steering wheel pry out old switches

Reassemble

It shouldn't take more than a 1/2 hour to perform the above AFTER the battery has been disconnected again for 40~45 minutes.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jnrkara/steeringwheelcontrollights002800x600.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jnrkara/steeringwheelcontrollights003800x600.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jnrkara/steeringwheelcontrollights004800x600.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jnrkara/steeringwheelcontrollights007600x800.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jnrkara/steeringwheelcontrollights006800x600.jpg

the cadillac man
01-07-13, 11:42 AM
As Cadillac Man stated, you disconnect battery for 40~45 minutes to let the vehicles electrical system drain out. If you don't there is a good possibilty of air bag deployment, not fun and rather expensive to replace.

On the top steering wheel buttons, yes you DO NOT have to pull steering wheel. I will fore warn you, that the wires are tight and you will need needle nose pliers to reconnect electric harness to the new switch.

The lower steering wheel buttons will NOT come out without removing the steering wheel. The electrical harness wiring is way tight and impossible to reconnect without steering wheel removed.

Very simple as I did not replace the buttons, I opt'd for light bulb replacement for the simple reason of being much cheaper than new switches.

-Discounnect battery 40~45 minutes
-Cut and bend two small coat hangers to stick through the air bag release holes.
-Discount 2 air bag wiring harnesses, set air bag aside
-Using a 13/16ths socket and rachet remove steering wheel lock nut,* note where the steering wheel line up marks are
-Grasp steering wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock postions and give a firm yank
-With steering wheel on workbench/table, flip upside down and remove 2-T20 (Torx) screws
-Using long screwdriver from the backside of steering wheel pry out old switches

Reassemble

It shouldn't take more than a 1/2 hour to perform the above AFTER the battery has been disconnected again for 40~45 minutes.

The cost of one air bag module is at least 2grand(and that's for a Buick) that is most certainly not cheap to replace(and the reason most cars are totaled if the air bags deploy)

BillysBowties
01-10-13, 03:08 PM
Thank you so much for the explanation and the pictures,they were so clear and perfect for this post.