: Valve guides

07-11-09, 05:30 AM
Ok guys, Im the one that just got the 1967 Fleetwood Brougham. I posted before about where to find parts, how to fix my turn signal indiactors....and so on. I got the heads off of my 429, and found the source of my oil usage and plug fouling. Crumbled umbrella seals, and valve guides that are so worn, you can wiggle the bare valves in the guide and feel the play (back and forth, click, click). Also most of the valves were coated down the entire stem with fresh, wet, oil. So I found the culprit.:D Upon lifting the heads off, a little coolant went into each of the cylinders. Left over coolant in the head. Rather than clean it up quickly, I let it sat. To see if my rings would hold the liquid for any length of time. I came back 4 hours later and all of the cylinders were just as full as I left them. There is also very minimal cylinder wear. There is a ridge at the top of the cylinder that I would imagine to be about .005" I am an aircraft machinist by trade, so I am pretty good at guessing surface finish (rA), and dimensions. I took the heads apart, drove out the cast iron valve guides, and had the local auto shop grind the valves and install hardened valve seats, check for cracks and such, they came out great. These things I cannot do at home, so I let the pros do that, but I can do the rest and save a little dough. So I am ready to buy new valve guides and valve seals. Being that this car was meant for Leaded gas, and it now uses unleaded. What type of valve guides do I need to buy? Nickel bronze? Cast iron again? I want to get the right guides, what do you guys think?

07-11-09, 08:33 PM
Come on guys, almost 50 views of this post, and no one has an idea at all?

07-11-09, 08:52 PM
All I can find online so far says "hardened alloy". I'll do some more searching though.

07-11-09, 09:16 PM
Most everywhere I look says cast iron, and you can get bronze if you drill out the orignals and install thin wall bronze guides. but after getting my heads back from the shop, I completley removed the valve guides. After doing some hard searching, it seems that solid bronze complete valve guides (no thin wall inserts) do not exist. Cast Iron may be all there is. Ive checked rock auto, usa auto parts, and ebay.

07-11-09, 09:41 PM
NAPA sells them.

I asked my dad and that's where he said to check, so I put your year/model/engine in, and came up with this.


May be worth a call to your local one?

07-11-09, 11:34 PM
Sweet. I finally broke down and found them on eBay for $48 for all 16 cast iron. Thanks for your input though. I appreciate it. I also got new lifters, an engine gasket kit, ign coil, and several other things on eBay. eBay rules!!!

07-12-09, 02:51 AM
Ebay is quite the epic classic-car parts store.

Post some pics when she's done. :)